Print

Author Topic: Cityscapes in the Marioverse (possible spoilers)  (Read 3073 times)

« on: July 27, 2004, 12:16:33 AM »
Well, here we go again.  I'm back with another topic of conversation, and I'm hoping you all aren't getting too annoyed by my topics.

Anyway, here's the basis for this post.  We've all seen (at least most of us have) that there are in fact cities in the Mario universe.  We see a rather dark, New York-ish style city in the intro to Wario Land 4.  And we see a very colorful, lively looking city in Mario vs. Donkey Kong.  So what kind of relationship do they have with the Mushroom Kingdom?  Are the cities in both games actually the same place?  Are they under Princess Peach's rule?  Perhaps this a more detailed Sarasaland?  After all, Mario did take control of a plane and a submarine while he was there, showing that there had to be at least some technology, where as everywhere else seemed to be somewhere along the lines of the  feudal era.  And perhaps this would even explain why Princess Peach suddenly had a personal jet soon after she began showing up in games with Princess Daisy.  A kingdom treaty and trade route perhaps?

Ah, but I degress.  This is really more about technology in the Marioverse, rather than cities.  Although they certainly play a a big part in the discussion.

Anyway, like I said I really hope I'm not just being an annoyance to everyone on the board.  These are simply questions that have been running through my mind, and I'm interested in sparking some lively debate and seeing what everyone else thinks on the subjects.  So please, discuss discuss!  ^_^

-----------------------------
"MTV is to music, as KFC is to chicken."- Lewis Black

Edited by - kamikaze koopa on 7/26/2004 11:18:55 PM
"The bigger they are, the harder I fight."

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2004, 02:12:33 AM »
The Mushroom Kingdom has technology. They're as modern as we are, but they don't depend on television and computers.

"At Dukar, we place our emphasis on serving you, supporting
you, and helping you be as successful as possible."
"At Dukar, we place our emphasis on serving you, supporting
you, and helping you be as successful as possible."

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2004, 07:14:00 PM »
Well, in Mario Kart Double Dash, there's city course called Mushroom City. That could've been it.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2004, 11:59:01 PM »
Yeah, they have technology. Planes, cars, phones, radios...

The universe is permeated with the odor of turpentine.
That was a joke.

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2004, 08:28:17 AM »
Of course they have technology, but apparently no weapons. That must be why they have Mario and Luigi stomp some ones head instead of launching a proper military assault.

.tneb ytilaeR dna dewols emiT
.tnew namggE eht no dna no tuB

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2004, 12:15:42 AM »
You know, I've always wondered about this too... different games seem to conflict with one another... Mario RPG has Victorian-style mansion homes--the end sequence of Yoshi's Island has mushroom-houses (as does Super Mario Bros. 3), and as was mentioned, Double Dash and Wario Land 4 and Wario Ware have big cities... Very confusing.
Haters gonna hate

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2004, 05:16:14 AM »
Yes, I've thought so too.  It also makes you wonder which one is the "true" castle.  Or maybe they all are, and they're just in different places?  Much like a summer or winter home.

And one explanation for the different houses could be that all the victorian style homes are relatively upper class in Toad society.  After all, they were right next to the castle (one of them, anyway).

But back on topic, I've always assumed that the towns we have seen so far have been in the country.  Possibly to help avoid being attacked by Bowser.  The less big land marks you have, the harder you are to find.  And maybe there are only a few real cities in the Mushroom Kingdom.  I would be tempted to call them megalopolises, if it weren't for the fact that I have no idea how big they are, nor how many inhabitants they contain.  ^_^()

And another big question for me is that if the Mushroom Kingdom obviously has phones and televisions and whatnot, then why does Princess Peach delegate seven kings to rules the other portions of the kingdom? (Super Mario Bros. 3)
If it were a true hierarchy, then that's not how it would work (I don't believe.  Correct me if I'm wrong).  But the Princess would be able to rule her subjects directly, via TV or other means, rather than, like I have said numerous times, resorting to from what I can tell as a feudalist government.

Edited by - kamikaze koopa on 7/29/2004 4:19:15 AM

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2004, 11:00:56 AM »
All the "Worlds" in SMB3 are, in fact, neighboring kingdoms of the Mushroom Kingdom. Each one is independent, and has nothing to do with the Mushroom Kingdom. Except that they all are near each other. And in the Mushroom World.

Edited by - The big boo on 7/29/2004 10:07:01 AM

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2004, 04:58:02 PM »
Interesting conversation here.
 n/a

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2004, 05:36:16 AM »
I suppose that could be true that they're all seperate kingdoms.  I had always figured that they were vassals under the rule of Princess Peach.  But I suppose that makes more sense that they are independant.

Just an quick offtopic question while we're talking about the SMB3 kings.  Did anyone ever find out what the deal was with the mouse looking king?  Is he supposed to be human?  Or did the transformation from Monty Mole back to his true form not go very well? ^_^

Edited by - kamikaze koopa on 7/31/2004 4:41:46 AM

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2004, 04:51:04 AM »
Hmm, what do you think a Marioverse-style city would look like if we ever actually got to see ti up close?  I think the cities in the Sonic Adventure series would be a pretty good representation.  Now I know alot of you would say it looks way too realistic to really fit in to the usually cartoonesque Mario series.  But just look at the intro to Wario Land 4.  And the city levels in the Mario Kart series.  I'm thinking that's a pretty good match.

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2004, 07:05:36 PM »
The Mushroom Kingdom is a truly diverse area, not only because of its many special items that give normal ppl great powers, but because it is always growing; new stuff is always being added. I think they're almost done with the airport there too, well, another one.

---
"Who says SIMMS is the only creative building franchise out there?"
---

TAYL: Talk At Ya Later
Lazer Mario
TAYL: Talk At Ya Later
Lazer Mario

Print