Print

Author Topic: The Kingdom of Loathing  (Read 33306 times)

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #120 on: May 29, 2004, 07:34:20 PM »
Send the meat tanks and gourd items you can't use, ok?

~I.S.~
~I.S.~

« Reply #121 on: June 02, 2004, 07:50:26 AM »
Why has this topic fallen dead?  *Bump*

I was wondering where I find a Box.  I've looked everywhere and still no Box.  I'm hoping to make a Chef-in-a-Box to put at my campsite.

« Reply #122 on: June 02, 2004, 12:07:30 PM »
Try The "Fun" House.

"There are no such things as stupid questions, just stupid people."

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #123 on: June 02, 2004, 04:33:23 PM »
Because everyone's busy playing KoL.

The universe is permeated with the odor of turpentine.
That was a joke.

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #124 on: June 02, 2004, 04:34:00 PM »
Thanks for all the items I've received for selling at my store in the mall. I can see myself making a large meat-itary donation to the clan as soon as I figure out what I can do with it. The clan is fully furnished now...

~I.S.~
~I.S.~

« Reply #125 on: June 02, 2004, 06:07:18 PM »
I'm rather confused as to what the clan's war room is for. Can we wage war with other clans like a large scale PvP battle or something?

Let me away from this boulder!

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #126 on: June 07, 2004, 09:26:09 AM »
I read about the reset yesterday. How dumb. Video games were already a waste of time, but this is ludicrous.

"Greetings from Belgium, the only country in Europe where the leading source of natural gas is the local dairy farm."
The weaker you are, the stronger you can become.

« Reply #127 on: June 07, 2004, 05:46:27 PM »
The horror faced by all beta testers strikes Watoad. (It struck me twice before on games I beta tested.)

“I’m a stupid fatty and I love to play with my Easy Bake oven.”

« Reply #128 on: June 07, 2004, 11:39:48 PM »
When I saw the reset FAQ, I thought, "Why waste my time if it's going to be deleted anyway?"  And before I knew it, I was playing KoL whenever I could.  Now I'm dissapointed again realizing that my progress is going to mean nothing after the reset.

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #129 on: June 08, 2004, 07:35:57 AM »
Yeah, I guess you could say that, Lizard, except that I had no idea I was beta testing. Whether or not it has been clearly stated that the current version of KoL is a beta version, I didn't know that it is. So it's a nasty surprise to me to discover that I have been spreading my time over the barren ground and torching it with a flame thrower. It's like chatting³. And, no, that is not okay. Later today I am going to donate my items and meat to the clan and, if possible, delete my character. If I can't delete it, 60 untorched days had oughtta do the trick.

Having no signature is like living in a box on the highway.

« Reply #130 on: June 08, 2004, 03:01:16 PM »
Wait a minute, they said they would give a two week warning prior to the reset, and yes, you can delete your character, but don't.  When the reset occurs, the character will be transferred over to the new game with all of its stats at level 1.  So continue playing KoL.

« Reply #131 on: June 08, 2004, 04:57:38 PM »
Have any of you read of the ascension Valhalla-type thing Jick's going to add after the reset in the KOL forums? It are sound's cool...

« Reply #132 on: June 08, 2004, 05:02:51 PM »
I fail to see how playing a game that is someday restarting is more of a "waste" of time than playing a game that is not. You still had the fun, chuckled at the wit, and experienced the comradery of the clan. In short, entertainment. They can't take that away. What you are losing are essentially meaningless numbers on a distant computer.
T.S. Eliot once wrote: "Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."

“I’m a stupid fatty and I love to play with my Easy Bake oven.”

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #133 on: June 08, 2004, 05:26:32 PM »
Sadly, I can see myself continuing to play this even after the reset...

~I.S.~
~I.S.~

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #134 on: June 08, 2004, 10:52:52 PM »
Well, I deleted my account while at work and before any of you replied to my post, and I wouldn't say that I regret doing so.

However, you do have some good points. I saw that my character would remain, Nameneko, but that didn't mean much to me. I would continue to have the username "Watoad," but everything I had put into my character to make it my character (mainly experience, or stat levels) would be gone. And I kinda wanted to switch to a Japanese username, anyway, once I learned that KoL supports my favorite foreign language (or, more likely, all of Unicode).

Yeah, Lizard Dude, I mostly agree with that. The problem I see is that after the reset, I'd be "enjoying" the same fun, the same wit, and the same experiences that I have gone through once already. Any progress or sense of accomplishment that I'd had would be destroyed.

It would be like putting 70 hours into Ogre Battle 64 (I spent about 90 hours by the end) and then finding that your game somehow got erased. Yes, you would've had fun playing the game, but you'd still be very frustrated and feel as though you'd wasted your time. Now if you would want to beat the game, you'd have to start all over again. That, I think, offers little more than frustration unless you had for some reason wanted to start over, anyway.

With KoL I'm actually finding some benefit in the reset, though not that of starting over. KoL, like these forums, is yet another channel through which I forfeit time to the Internet that I should reasonably be using for other things in my life. I didn't have the will power to say "no" to KoL, so the reset has helped me out with that. If you all think this is kinda dumb, then I would have to conclude that I'm either the only person here with priority and time-usage issues, or the one with the greatest difficulties in those areas. One plus about me is that I like to have a fun time, but one minus is that I'm a big, fat PHNOWM IFE-er.

End of dissertation (or whatever). And I'm sorry if that's actually what it became.

Having no signature is like living in a box on the highway.

Print