Print

Author Topic: Emulators vs. Consoles  (Read 18072 times)

« on: June 11, 2008, 01:15:08 AM »
What do you Prefer to play on?
What do Yoshi eggs taste like?

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 04:06:40 AM »
I'd rather play the game on a console than in an emulator on a computer, for several reasons:

• Emulation is sometimes buggy and lagging
  • Sounds and graphics can be off compared to the real thing
  • You can't get the same nostalgic feelings when you play in an emulator
  • You feel better that it's not illegal
  • Jumping all over the game using save states sometimes destroys the anticipation and experience of playing through to those parts you love
  • The ability to take the game apart so easily ruins its "magic"
  • Using save states to undo errors removes a portion of the challenge

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 04:36:01 AM »
This thread will be riddled with the mistake that "emulator" means "ROM on computer, and illegal." When I'm playing a game emulated, it's usually on my DS. The Virtual Console is legal emulation.

That being said, my opinion is mixed. I'm all for paying Nintendo for their work, using the controller the game was made to use and all that. But on the other hand, I can play Super Mario All-Stars on my DS (SNEmulDS is a bit buggy at times, but when it is it's usually with battle backgrounds in EarthBound... and Tetris Attack, that's really difficult to play).

The moral value... I don't see anything horribly wrong with playing a game I already own anywhere I want. That, and I believe that if you can't currently buy it from Nintendo, it's not illegal. So, for now, stuff like Majora's Mask is fair game. And EarthBound... It's criminal of Nintendo to have not yet put it on the Virtual Console, at the very least.

As far as save states go, I only use them when I need to stop playing but can't actually save--I don't continue from states twice.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 07:42:06 AM »
The moral value... I don't see anything horribly wrong with playing a game I already own anywhere I want. That, and I believe that if you can't currently buy it from Nintendo, it's not illegal. So, for now, stuff like Majora's Mask is fair game. And EarthBound... It's criminal of Nintendo to have not yet put it on the Virtual Console, at the very least.

+1
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

matto

• from America's hatto
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 08:03:15 AM »
If the current trend of NoA being nasty around Mother 3 stays true, then the only way I will get my grubby hands on Lucas' adventure is via Starman(dot)net's translation, once it's released.

That, and they basically spoiled the [darn] game in Smash Bros. Brawl (because they thought we knew most of it already with our die hard research.

I think this thread should be "Earthbound fans vs. NoA," but that battle is as old as the GBA itself. =/
Canada, eh? '87

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 08:16:38 AM »
I believe that if you can't currently buy it from Nintendo, it's not illegal.
Unfortunately, believing doesn't make it true.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 12:06:27 PM »
Until Nintendo gives us a better solution, it should be true.

Ambulance Y

• raewrednu
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 12:13:36 PM »
There's always the solution of going out and legally buying the game. However, game prices are incredibly high. CDs and books are generally $15, movies are around $20 -- what makes a game so #%@$ special that it costs around $50? I don't have that kind of money to spend!
Edward has always dreamed of becoming a female monkey.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 12:15:37 PM »
Final Fantasy VII is $62.00 and up on Amazon, whereas all the others are at least reasonably priced, if not freakishly cheap.

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 12:23:06 PM »
Most of the games I play on emulators are games I already have, yet I lost them, but I still have the receipt.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 01:14:06 PM »
I will always prefer an actual console to emulation on a computer. I think emulation of console games on portable systems is cool for when you can't play on a console. If it's somehow impossible to play a game on a console, emulating it is okay in my book. This is talking stuff like games never being localized to a language you can read. Even if emulation of commercial ROMs is illegal under normal conditions, it amounts to the same amount of money going to the developers as buying a used copy (especially in the case of old games) ($0). So there's nothing exactly morally wrong about it in that regard. That said, I will sooner purchase a used game than buy the same game on virtual console because I prefer to play on the original system whenever possible, for historical accuracy.
That was a joke.

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 01:33:21 PM »
Consoles are better by far even tho they don't support many good features emulation does. (not including frame skipping and accuracy modifiers but rather sound channel muting options, etc.)
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 01:40:21 PM »
Unfortunately, believing doesn't make it true.
I know. But I don't feel bad about it and say that players who are anti-emulation for legal reasons should give it a break if those are the circumstances. Nintendo's not going to send men with guns to go after you. Their finances do not depend on whether you played an EarthBound ROM, bought it used for a crazy price, or never played it at all (in fact, maybe after trying it you'd want to buy it on the Virtual Console, so they benefit). So it all really comes down to you--are you going to experience this game, or just pretend it doesn't exist?
It's YOUR problem!

goodie

• Nike and Reebok
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2008, 08:48:43 PM »
Consoles are better by far even tho they don't support many good features emulation does. (not including frame skipping and accuracy modifiers but rather sound channel muting options, etc.)
Why would you want to mute any of the sound channels?
576f726c6420392069732061207365637265742e

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2008, 09:13:42 PM »
That's what I was wondering. I've been known to do it for experimentation, but as long as the emulator is emulating properly there is no good reason.
That was a joke.

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2008, 11:43:10 PM »
Well, there are lots of situations where it can be fun to tinker with the different settings like that.  Emulation might allow you to extract game assets or discover secrets in the code.  Sometimes an emulator can even improve the experience, say, by increasing the resolution a game is rendered at.  But I still like accuracy, and my PC's not set up for serious modern gaming, so I mostly use emulators for handhelds or very old systems in general.
CURSE YOU... SOMEBODY!

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2008, 12:04:37 AM »
How does emulation on a Nintendo Wii console fit into this contest?  That's my current preferred "experience". 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2008, 01:36:34 AM »
I have one ROM on my computer, but I don't like playing it because using a keyboard as a video game controller feels awkward to me.  I've seen VG controllers that connect to computers.  Do they work on ROMs?
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2008, 10:41:58 AM »
They work on emulators.
That was a joke.

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2008, 11:01:47 AM »
The Super Gameboy does not work on emulators either but I have information about it. There is an action replay code for it to work on ZSNES and a real SNES if you don't have a gb game but I can't give you the code because I didn't make it. Super Gameboy doesn't work either but there is a code for that as well.
http://board.gscentral.org/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=13695

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2008, 11:07:50 AM »
Well, firstly, I refuse to play roms of games from any current game systems, whatever the case. The only way I ever play gamecube or wii games is on the actual system (besides, there's no real way to play games from those systems on your computer yet, but if there was, I wouldn't do it.)

Now, on the other hand, I see nothing wrong with playing games that are not readily available. A couple years ago, I constantly played Smash Bros and Mario Kart for the N64 on an emulator because buying a real system would be much harder (yard sales, ebay auctions, and all second hand ways were the only way to go, none of which are very reliable). Now days, with the Virtual Console, actual versions of many games are available for download from Nintendo, so I don't play emulators actively anymore, unless its a game thats not on the Virtual Console yet.

Basically, I'm against just playing games on an emulator if you don't want to pay a few bucks to Nintendo and play them on the Wii. Other cases are fine with me, though.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 11:09:35 AM by Zarkanthesmasher »
What is a mystery? Just go inside my head, and you'll find out.

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2008, 03:38:55 PM »
I only really play games emulated for purposes of hacking(or playing hacked games), or beating old games I just never got around to finishing before. If something's available for a console I have, I'll buy it. I got Sonic Mega Collection instead of emulating, same with Mario 64 DS(in a sense, though it's a different game). I'd also buy a Mother/Earthbound collection.

Actually, I think I love playing pirate games or testing out abstract, messed up game saves as well.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2008, 05:47:46 PM »
Sonic Mega Collection is emulation! Hahahahahahhahahaha
That was a joke.

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2008, 06:13:49 PM »
The Super Gameboy does not work on emulators either but I have information about it. There is an action replay code for it to work on ZSNES and a real SNES if you don't have a gb game but I can't give you the code because I didn't make it. Super Gameboy doesn't work either but there is a code for that as well.
http://board.gscentral.org/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=13695
I don't understand what you're saying.  Aren't Super Game Boy features usually built into Game Boy emulators rather than Super Nintendo Entertainment System emulators?
CURSE YOU... SOMEBODY!

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2008, 07:54:49 PM »
I'm gonna go with:

-I like seeing the boxart/cartridge art
-I like stuff that's legal...
-MY COMPUTER SUCKS!

but, games that are collections of older games work for me (sega classics collection, PSP) because that's true emulation (saving, loading to cheat the game) and I can pick up where I left off.

the virtual console for Wii isn't as adept as it should be, though. and I don't like using a different controller to play my favorite old games.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2008, 10:07:46 PM »
I'm fine with illegal downloads of anything (music, ROMs, movies, what have you), but I follow a loose "code of honor".

ROMs: If it's a serious classic (Metroid, SMB, Tetris, etc.) or, even more importantly, an underappreciated one (Earthbound, Duck Tales, Jackyl, etc.), don't emulate unless you own it.

Music: If it's indie/alternative/not widely known (Buckethead or Bloc Party or some such), just pay for it. Same goes for groups that are just plain awesome (Daft Punk and Wolfmother).

Movies: Pfft, everything's fair game. Especially secks tapes.
every

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2008, 11:12:49 PM »
ROMs: If it's a serious classic (Metroid, SMB, Tetris, etc.) or, even more importantly, an underappreciated one (Earthbound, Duck Tales, Jackyl, etc.), don't emulate unless you own it.
You do know how hard it is to own EarthBound these days?? I'm holding out for Chupperson to get a copy and give me a good deal so I won't have to pay $90+ for a cart on eBay.

And, just a reminder, because this thread is leaning towards "Emulation = computer!!"

It's YOUR problem!

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2008, 01:30:24 PM »
To add to what Bird Person is saying, I use SNEmulDS to play Wario's Woods (which I do own), Super Tetris 3 (which is Japan-only, another reason for console emulation), and EarthBound (same reason as BP except without the hope of me getting a copy).

Also, the current version of Lameboy (GB/GBC emulator for the DS) has SGB support. Game Boy emulators for the PC have it as well.

Also also, on the subject of legal emulation, the PC versions of Taito Legends and Taito Legends 2 run actual ROM dumps through what I believe to be a specialized version of MAME.

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2008, 02:12:43 PM »
You might be right on that one.

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2008, 09:37:54 PM »
I prefer the console. But it is very very hard to find a working NES nowadays, and keeping it working, so thats when you need a emulator.
One Ring to rule them all. One Ring to find them. One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2008, 09:53:17 PM »
So now the question is: When do we start emulating old PC games on modern consoles?
every

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2008, 10:07:58 PM »
Years ago.  And I played some emulated PC games on my Wii the other day.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2008, 10:29:21 PM »
Show me Zork on DS and I'll be satisfied.
every

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2008, 10:35:24 PM »

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2008, 11:44:52 PM »
Okay then.

W00T
every

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2008, 12:12:56 AM »
Years ago.  And I played some emulated PC games on my Wii the other day.
If one of those games was Jazz Jackrabbit you have my attention.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2008, 03:29:25 PM »
I've never played a ROM. I would, but I'm paranoid about viruses and crap. But I imagine consoles are better, since they have the controller the game was made for, and aren't played on a keyboard.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2008, 03:33:29 PM »
I've never played a ROM.
Whaddyou think are in game cartridges?
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2008, 03:37:34 PM »
I don't understand what you're saying.  Aren't Super Game Boy features usually built into Game Boy emulators rather than Super Nintendo Entertainment System emulators?

Not enhanced sounds or music and a few other features you are not aware of.

« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2008, 03:38:42 PM »
Whaddyou think are in game cartridges?

Chocolate.

« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2008, 10:25:30 PM »
Not enhanced sounds or music and a few other features you are not aware of.
Well then they need to be improved to support those things!
CURSE YOU... SOMEBODY!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2008, 10:28:54 PM »
Since when do Super Game Boy games have enhanced sounds and music and features we're not aware of?
That was a joke.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2008, 10:55:16 AM »
I once played SMW on the PC, but that was a long time ago.

« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2008, 11:18:36 AM »
Since when do Super Game Boy games have enhanced sounds and music and features we're not aware of?

If you checked the link of my db then you should know.
http://board.gscentral.org/showthread.php?t=13695

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2008, 01:15:23 PM »
Huh. I never realized!
I thought you were talking about like constant differences or something though.
That was a joke.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2008, 08:32:59 PM »

I use emulators myself, but this picture was too good not to use.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Ambulance Y

• raewrednu
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2008, 11:37:09 PM »
LOL.

Arrrrgh, let's illegally download some Kanye West!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2008, 11:59:38 PM »
Whoever drew that is my hero.
It's YOUR problem!

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2008, 09:09:35 AM »
Whoever drew that has some sweet art skills, but I don't know about the hero bit.

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2008, 06:13:57 PM »
What about the Ninjas?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2008, 06:15:41 PM »
'Cause ninjas know how to use computers. Heh.
It's YOUR problem!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2008, 06:17:11 PM »
What about the Ninjas?

Tell me, you ever see anybody ninjaing software? I figured as much.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2008, 06:23:04 PM »
Ninjas don't need computers.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2008, 12:08:02 AM »
Everyone seems to enjoy my topic, don't they?
Anyway, Same as you, CrossEyed7, Ninjas don't need computers at all.
(Unless they're playing Brawl, that is)

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2008, 12:28:39 AM »
Ninjas use computers; they just use all freeware.

« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2008, 12:30:43 PM »
Do they?
Cool.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2008, 02:56:50 PM »
So they're Linux users!
That was a joke.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2008, 03:50:32 PM »
Naruto sort of does strike me as a Linux user, now that you mention it...

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2008, 05:03:11 PM »
"My system is virus-free! BELIEVE IT!"

Actually, I don't see Naruto being smart enough to use any of the Linux distros other than whatever the one that's almost like Windows is, and I'm pretty sure that one isn't free.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2008, 05:22:22 PM »
There's more 'ninjas' out there than Naruto, folks.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2008, 05:36:26 PM »
Yeah, but every manga-reading teen knows Naruto is the most popular.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2008, 09:07:41 PM »
How is that guy a ninja?
That was a joke.

« Reply #62 on: June 24, 2008, 12:24:20 AM »
Because he uses ninjutsu?

Ambulance Y

• raewrednu
« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2008, 12:32:13 AM »
A real ninja would chop Naruto into a fine powder and use it to season his stealthburgers.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2008, 12:45:25 AM »
Well put, Ambulance Y, and Lizard Dude is correct. This particular fellow who I observed using a computer machine is a ninja in the modern, improbable sense. He even uses a gun, but he has full rights to since he's a bad ninja.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 12:50:13 AM by Suffix »

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2008, 07:43:56 AM »
^
Oh, I get it!  Like Orochimaru!

A real ninja would chop Naruto into a fine powder and use it to season his stealthburgers.

How does that work, with Naruto being stronger and faster than is humanly possible?

Print