Print

Author Topic: Sonic Xtreme - A true video game tragedy?  (Read 6198 times)

« on: July 16, 2008, 08:09:31 PM »
Okay, for those who don't know what the dukar I'm talking about, Sonic Xtreme was a Sonic game for the Sega Saturn that was in development hell for years before finally being canceled. Several prototypes were made, and some of the developers were working nonstop for weeks (and endangering their health).

Why all the fuss about this? Because IMO, this game really looked revolutionary, and the fish eye lense - while a bit weird - may have been as unique and groundbreaking as the sphere walking and gravity changing features in Super Mario Galaxy. From the videos I've seen, it just looks plain awesome - and the music is a ton better than the rock and roll garbage we've gotten in current sonic games.

Does anyone else agree with my setiment for Xtreme?
What is a mystery? Just go inside my head, and you'll find out.

Linkin800

• Choppy words and a sloppy flow
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 11:10:53 PM »
Yes. It always seems like all the canceled games look the best. I bet if it was releashed Sonic games would be alot better.
Time is repeating itself. Why you say? Look at the Wii and NES and you'll know why.

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 01:02:24 AM »
Yes. It always seems like all the canceled games look the best.

Amen to that. Star Fox 2 is awesome but was never released to the public (thank God for roms).
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 01:14:22 PM »
This game did look sorta cool, but I think I'd have gotten a headache after playing for a while. Still, if done right, it would've been beast. If Sega makes a modern update of this and makes it not suck, they'll have my respect forever.
every

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 04:33:22 PM »
It did look cool. I heard that there is a leaked prototype of the game somewhere.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 08:03:56 PM »
Sometimes I wish that more prototypes, cancelled games, and early preview builds would be made public. I am STILL waiting for the day I could play whatever existed of the N64 version of Dinosaur Planet, or of the old Conker's Quest before the redesign. In general I find behind-the-scenes stuff interesting.
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 09:00:55 PM »
I don't think releasing unfinished games is a good habit to get into, though.
CURSE YOU... SOMEBODY!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 09:34:27 PM »
Dinosaur Planet was practically finished before Miyamoto said to make it a Star Fox game. I would love to play the original, because although I love Star Fox Adventures, I think it would have been a better game beforehand.
That was a joke.

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 10:09:10 AM »
I've watched a couple movies, and Sonic runs rather... slow, doesn't he? Also, the control seems a little touchy. Sonic accelerates like he's on fire or something, and the Sega Saturn's D-pad wouldn't help matters (an analouge controller was bundled with Nights, but I don't think it ever became the default controller). Still, there were some clever mechanics under the hood, and that fish-eye camera looks awesome.
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 10:33:47 AM »
I've watched a couple movies, and Sonic runs rather... slow, doesn't he? Also, the control seems a little touchy. Sonic accelerates like he's on fire or something, and the Sega Saturn's D-pad wouldn't help matters (an analouge controller was bundled with Nights, but I don't think it ever became the default controller). Still, there were some clever mechanics under the hood, and that fish-eye camera looks awesome.

Well, true - but remember that Sonic Xtreme was only about 60 percent done when it was canceled. If they had been given more time to tweak the engine, add more enemies, and finish the boss levels, I think it could have been a really awesome game. I think it certainly would have been FAR better than a lot of the modern 3-D sonic crap we've gotten in the last 10 years.
What is a mystery? Just go inside my head, and you'll find out.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 02:32:51 PM »
Dinosaur Planet was practically finished before Miyamoto said to make it a Star Fox game. I would love to play the original, because although I love Star Fox Adventures, I think it would have been a better game beforehand.

They essentially screwed over both Rare fans and Star Fox fans by pulling such a move. Not to mention, it was really unfair to Rare themselves. An on-foot Star Fox adventure game could've been handled a lot better if Nintendo really wanted one.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2008, 02:57:21 PM »
Well, like I said, I still really liked the game the way it ended up.
That was a joke.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2008, 02:58:46 PM »
For the record:

My ideal Star Fox adventure game would've taken the Star Wars parody aspect even further and feature Beam Sword battles. Andrew would've been in Darth Vader's place.

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2008, 09:40:17 AM »
They essentially screwed over both Rare fans and Star Fox fans by pulling such a move. Not to mention, it was really unfair to Rare themselves. An on-foot Star Fox adventure game could've been handled a lot better if Nintendo really wanted one.

It was great. I loved the final product. I didn't feel "screwed over" one bit, as I am both a Rare and Star Fox fan.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2008, 04:32:50 PM »
Any game that gets slapped with an established franchise makeover at the last minute is lame in my book.
every

Print