Print

Author Topic: Graphics minus Gameplay=PPPHHHHT  (Read 2500 times)

« on: July 29, 2002, 04:58:39 PM »
Hello, all. I just wanted to discuss with you something that has been bugging me for a very long time: If some people buy a system (or game) because of its graphical prowess, then why?

.....I am absolutely clueless. Do these "graphical gamers" have such superb eyesight that they can see every polygonal flaw in a game? Or do they want the feel of controlling a movie? OR do they have absolutely no I.Q.? I beg for an answer!  

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2002, 05:47:57 PM »
a lot of people think that graphics make a game good, because most good games have at least fairly good graphics. Also if a system has good graphical prowess than many people just assume that this means it is a powerful system. THis isn't true but it's a common belief.

If it cannot break out of it's shell, the chick will die without being born. We are the chicken. The world is our egg. Smash the world shell! For the revolution of the world!-the student council, "Utena Revolutionary Girl"
"At Dukar, we place our emphasis on serving you, supporting
you, and helping you be as successful as possible."

Fifth

• Quadruped
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2002, 05:54:06 PM »
Ah, these would be either the "casual gamers," those people who buy a game or system to play maybe once a year, or the "new gamers" who have never known the classic era.  Hmm... if anybody finds anything debatable in what I'm about to say, let me know; I'm not entirely sure of it all myself...

Lessee...
I guess the reason for these games (and gamers) goes back to the 8-bit era (it actually has roots in Atari, but I'll skip that for now.)  Video game technology was still new, but there were a few visionaries and dedicated programmers who wanted to make use of the new art form and create veritable masterpieces.  As time progressed, companies became better at using the technology (that is, more creative on how to do a lot more with the little resources that they had,) and games became great programming accomplishments as technology progressed through the 16-bit era.  The two major factions, Nintendo and Sega, had a rivalry that existed in the minds of the fans, and both continued to hone their game-creation skills, which increased the fan base.

And this did not go unnoticed.

Video games had been pushed aside and ignored by large businesses after what had happened to Atari (a plethora of third party games, most of which could be clumped into "shoot things" or "dodge things,") so the ones who still saw a future in the media were free to explore artistically.  Sony, however, realized that there was indeed a business here, and so enters the trade.

I don't quite remember the timing on all of this, but this well into the era when 3-D was novel, and any game could manage success through a 3-D motif.

Soo...  The playstation comes into existence.  Sony has a "3-D ONLY!" rule on american developers for the beginning, and Final Fantasy VII is released, the first game whose commercials showed NOTHING BUT the cutscenes.  The idea that Sony had was basically that everyone who would want a video game system will already have one.  Now we begin selling to those who DON'T want one.  Games sell through eye-candy, sports games, and things like Tony Hawk bring in their respective fans, and we have a generation whose first and favorite game is FF7.

The power of the casual gamer is truly overwhelming:  enough fools saying that something will fail will eventually have their way, and Sega is forced to fold.  Nintendo with the Game Cube is now the sole hope for the hardcore and classic gamers, Sony releases the next casual gamer system, the Playstation 2, raking in any people that they might have missed by including a DVD player.  Bill Gates is observing the success of Sony, and decideds that this'd be a perfect opportunity to extend his global domination and make a few more billion dollars.  So he joins the industry (an industry is what happens when an art form gets enough attention, and people far from artists notice and join in for one purpose:  $$$.  This has also happened to movies in the past decade and a half,) with his X-Box, the first system to buy itself into the business, using Microsoft's deep pockets to aquire, at any cost, anything anybody else might want (he even tried to buy Nintendo!)

So I think that's about where we are now.  The "Industry" developers want to lasso people as quickly as possible using what they will know:  things that are all purdy-like, those who AREN'T fans won't want to go so in-depth as to realize that there's far more to video games than just what they see, and the classic gamers now make up too small a faction for anybody to be able to pay attention to.

*WHEW*

Go Moon!
Go Moon!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2002, 08:17:23 PM »
It's kinda like the people who don't want the new Zelda game for no reason except that it has a new graphic style. Weird. I think it's going to be a great game despite the different graphics, but anyway I like them too..... Regardless, GOOD (means = Nintendo) games are about fun, not graphics.

I don't have a signature.
That was a joke.

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2002, 07:23:47 AM »
But just look at the pants. Mario's pants in '96 were the equivalent of flexible wallpaper with painted-on-buttons. Now, in 2001 (I know it isn't 2001), look at Mario's pants in Melee. Crisp, blue denim, in which you can actually see the stitching, and the buttons are big and shiny. Pants make the game.

-------
In my dream, the world had suffered a terrible disaster. A black haze shut out the sun, and the darkness was alive with the moans and screams of wounded people.
Suddenly, a small light glowed. A candle flickered into life, symbol of hope for millions. A single tiny candle, shining in the ugly dark. I laughed, and blew it out.

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2002, 07:53:08 AM »
the only system i have is a xbox. i like dont like it because of the graphics.

sorry, i saw an opening that seemed to scream out attack.
sorry, i saw an opening that seemed to scream out attack.

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2002, 09:14:02 AM »
Casual gamers...hmm, I was suspecting that, myself. I know plenty who just play videogames to "pass the time," and I think what they're looking for is what's being advertised. (Billy is thinking about getting an Xbox. He's thinking about the great graphics and gameplay [and more grreat graphics]. What he's not thinking about is Nintendo.)

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2002, 06:24:03 PM »
Yeah, Melee has the best renders of all the characters to date. But the games prior to that are fun, anyway!
Xbox's textures are 64-bit quality, and the system is stupid.

I don't have a signature.
That was a joke.

Print