Print

Author Topic: Nintendo is winning over Xbox!  (Read 1599 times)

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« on: December 02, 2002, 08:46:17 AM »
Official press release on Nintendo.com:

Metroid Prime Sales Hit Quarter Million Mark
Nov/27/02 12:00 PST

Older Gamers Also Flocking to Nintendo GameCube Exclusive Resident Evil Ø

REDMOND, Wash., Nov. 27, 2002 – After waiting eight years for a return visit from their favorite video game heroine, a quarter million Nintendo GameCube owners in North America purchased the hit title Metroid Prime in its first week of availability. Coupled with the concurrent launch of Capcom’s Resident Evil Ø, also a Nintendo GameCube exclusive, well over half a million teen and older gamers will have purchased the two new games by the end of Thanksgiving weekend.

The appeal of these and other popular Nintendo GameCube titles has boosted Nintendo GameCube into second place in total system sales so far in November, according to a number of retailers.

"While Nintendo retains its legacy as the destination of choice for family gamers, we're also making substantial inroads with more mature players," says Peter MacDougall, executive vice president, sales and marketing, Nintendo of America Inc. "Both of these games are selling through at rates well beyond any game launched this year for Microsoft Xbox, which is skewed almost exclusively at older players."

In addition, Metroid Prime is selling through at a unit rate approximately 50 percent higher than Microsoft's Xbox Live online service. Both products retail at an identical MSRP ($49.95), and debuted simultaneously in the market.

Meanwhile, sales of the Game Boy Advance title Metroid Fusion, which is designed to interact with its Nintendo GameCube counterpart, have exceeded 100,000 units in the same period of time. Both games feature the eerie solitude and claustrophobic first person exploration that the classic original Metroid games demonstrated.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nintendo is back, bigger and much better than ever! GameCube and Metorid Prime are Nintendo's tickets to respect and prosperity in the world of video games!

Go Nintendo! If Nintendo's strong hardware and software sales keep up past Christmas season, Nintendo will be the supreme victor over Xbox! This is a dream come true!

Imagine what will happen once The Legend of Zelda is released for GameCube... TOTAL CHAOS WILL ERRUPT!
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2002, 10:44:22 AM »
I just got a GameCube this weekend.  I am an older player.  I'm 29 actually.  I got the cube because I love classic series like Mario and Zelda.  I don't like Resident Evil, Metroid Prime, or any violent or first person shooter games.  I'm a huge Mario fan, and I don't even like Smash Bros.

Why does everyone call those types of games Mature and for the older gamers?  In my experience, it is teenagers who tend to prefer the violent and shooting games.

I will agree though that Nintendo will continue to do well because of the older players who remember and love the classics.  Even if Nintendo is considered the kiddie system.

Also, I can't wait for the GBA adapter to come out for the GCN.  I want to play GBA version of SMB on a big screen.  I loved the red coin, yoshi, time, and points challenges.

I agree that Nintedo will see a rise in sells when Zelda comes out.  I had all of my Nintendo stuff stolen a few years ago, and bought a N64 again just to play Zelda and SM64 again.  I am also going to get another SNES since the Tristar64 I use to play SNES games like SMAS has to be rewired or soldered ever few weeks now.

Edited by - Luigison on 12/2/2002 8:47:53 AM
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2002, 12:11:21 AM »
STOLEN? Dang.
You're right, all those violent games are worthless. (But Metroid Prime isn't really an FPS, and from what I've seen, not really very violent.)
But yeah, all those so-called "Mature" games actually have the characters acting and speaking in a LESS mature way, if you see what I mean.
Bottom line, as always: Miyamoto's games are way better than most other stuff out there. Because he cares. Not about the money, but about quality games. All Xbox and Sony care about is getting the most money. Sickening.

Now I will nitpick the article above:
"Both games feature the eerie solitude and claustrophobic first person exploration that the classic original Metroid games demonstrated."
AHEM, WHAT? All three original Metroid games were third-person side-scrolling games, as is Fusion. What were the news writers thinking?

Heh... I bought Smash Bros. Melee for the adventure mode. It seems we think somewhat alike, Luigison.
Oh, and what do you think of Starfox Adventures?

Eeh hee hee hee hee!!! Not everything means what it seems... . . . Ooh Heh . . . Ooh Heh
That was a joke.

Print