Print

Author Topic: Silly Anything Else Fan Theories Thread  (Read 11961 times)

BP

• Beside Pacific
« on: July 09, 2013, 12:14:23 PM »
Definitely make it clear what you're talking about first, and maybe keep it to one subject per post... I dunno, just a suggestion

Dark Souls

Going Hollow is a metaphor for what happens to game characters when you give up on the game
Dark Souls is one of the most proudly video gamey games I've played in years. In the story, undead people become Hollow by losing their sanity to their immortality, their inability to escape life even after dying again and again. Sound familiar? The games you never finished and gave up on out of frustration, the characters become dead, hostile, empty shells. Lordran may be populated by thousands of Marios and Links and Arthurs and Genes.

The Plague-Infested Barbarians in Blighttown are Shrek
They're huge, they violently protect a swamp level, and drop dung pies when defeated. Their roars must translate to "DONKEHHHHH"

Estus is hot chocolate
I don't know why but it seems like something you'd make at a campfire. It didn't occur to me that it's not much of a camping staple until after I typed it
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 12:25:17 PM »
Pokemon

The professors conduct illicit experiments with Pokemon, namely changing their DNA. That;s why his pokedex is emptry, to cover up the evidence. Would also explain why Eevee can evolve into so many different things and also the existence of Porygon.
Now with grandeur.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 03:36:34 PM »
That DOES make some degree of sense... And now, their genetically engineered servants of humanity have killed off all non-Pokemon species.

I've only ever played Demon's Souls, but I like that "going hollow" analogy.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 05:18:51 PM »
Legend of Zelda

The telltale mark of the hero chosen by the gods is narcolepsy
Link starts out so many games asleep. It makes sense for LttP, which begins at night, but Navi struggles to wake him up in OoT, he oversleeps a date with Zelda in TMC, is found taking a nap in the middle of his birthday up on a wooden watchtower in TWW... and in SS it's the most apparent, with it being a subject of friendly jabs between him and Zelda. He'll start nodding off after a few seconds of sitting down. It's a trend that's been on the rise. The next new Link will have it so bad that if you don't take an Energy Potion he may just fall asleep in the middle of a boss fight.
It's YOUR problem!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 03:24:46 AM »
EarthBound

The Magic Cake "vivid dream" was, in fact, Ness's dream
Poo is something like an imaginary friend or a dream character created in Ness's imagination and made real by the Magic Cake. Everything about him and Dalaam are particularly surreal and weird, even for EarthBound. He and his equipment all come out of nowhere and have no real lore. He operates based on what Ness thinks is cool or funny, and is likewise much like some combination of Ness himself and other tricks he probably wishes he could do; some of Paula's PSI, and Starstorm. Food doesn't restore very much of his health, because he's not a real person. Water restores a lot of his PP, because he actually has an unlimited supply of PSI as long as his cool power doesn't run dry. The sanctuary in Dalaam is Pink Cloud... which is what Magicant, one's own dream land, was made of in EarthBound Zero. The only time Poo is mentioned before he is met is when Talah Ramah, a prophetic monkey, says his name... but it can be inferred that he simply saw the future as it was actually going to happen, didn't predict it. He specifically says, in the same monologue, that everything is predetermined.

The previous is so because someone else was supposed to be the fourth hero and it didn't work out.
Porky maybe? Some believe Everdred was supposed to be playable. Apple Kid is the most helpful NPC in the game but maybe whatever prophesized Ness's adventure decided, last second, he needed more help fighting. Picky seems to be Ness's friend but is probably too young.

Porky is hot for Paula
He kidnaps her twice. Sure he wasn't directly responsible for it the second time but was probably involved. Maybe directly... the Department Store Spook takes her to the top floor, maybe Porky took her to the Monotoli building via helicopter.
It's YOUR problem!

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 01:20:59 PM »
01010100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01010101 01101110 01101001 01110110 01100101 01110010 01110011 01100101 00001101 00001010 00001101 00001010 01001001 01110011 00100000 01100001 00100000 01110011 01101001 01101101 01110101 01101100 01100001 01110100 01101001 01101111 01101110 00101110
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 03:04:37 PM »
QWdyZWVkLiBUaGVyZSBhcmUgc28gbWFueSBnbGl0Y2hlcy4=

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 07:57:00 PM »
I see nobody is interested in anything at all
It's YOUR problem!

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 08:01:56 PM »
I see BP's sig and feel my arms hurting. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 06:20:13 PM »
I'm interested in other things, but they're not as fun to put into theories as the Mario series.

Zelda is already convoluted, Kirby doesn't really have one, Metroid I thought I had a grasp on until the Prime series (didn't they take place between Metroid and Metroid 2?) and Other M (wasn't it supposed to take place betweenMetroid and Metroid 2? Before or after the Prime series?) and.. those are the only ones I really play/care about..
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2013, 06:34:00 PM »
Let us debate the role of real animals in the Pokemon universe.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2013, 06:40:08 PM »
Alright, now Weegee's onto something. I know there are normal birds and fish visible in some areas, and I recall the first games treating the Pokemon more like a mysterious invasive kingdom of organism than the newer ones, where they seem to be the de facto non-human fauna... personally, I like the weirdly extensive theory this one guy threw around on NeoGAF a while back, about them being the result of alien DNA/life forms mutating and merging with Earth organisms, which will eventually result in an environmental and societal breakdown.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2013, 07:26:30 PM »

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2013, 09:08:57 PM »
I'm thinking that regular animals do exist, but are too unremarkable to pay attention to. It  could be argued that natural selection would have long done way with animals not capable of harnessing fantastical elemental powers, but then humans should be extinct as well.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2013, 10:42:31 PM »
I like to think animals simply became Pokémon--evolved into them. Humans are still around for the same reason we are now in the real world, without claws or fangs venom or wings or tough hides or thick pelts or stick'em powers: tools. If not for our comparatively incredible capacity to understand the world around us and consciously adapt to it and learn about it, we'd be super dead.

I also am exceedingly convinced that pokédex entries are BS'd most of the time, exaggerated. A device that automatically records data on something it's seen for the first time is stupid. The player character is punching in exaggerated "facts" about their latest catch as they go.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 10:44:48 PM by BP »
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2013, 09:01:52 AM »
Doesn't Pokemon lore state that a Pokemon created the universe? Of course, it could just be a bunch of baloney like actual creationism.

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2013, 11:53:25 AM »
I also am exceedingly convinced that pokédex entries are BS'd most of the time, exaggerated. A device that automatically records data on something it's seen for the first time is stupid. The player character is punching in exaggerated "facts" about their latest catch as they go.

Indeed, they're like descriptions for OCs drawn by eleven-year-olds on DeviantArt.

"THIS IS FLAMER THE WOMBAT, HE CAN [dukar] FIRE THAT IS A GOOGOL BILLION TIMES HOTTER THAN THE SUN AND ALSO GET ALL HIS HOMEWORK DONE IN 0.0008 MILLISECONDS"

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2013, 12:47:30 PM »
@bobbysq: Arceus supposedly created Dialga and Palkia, who created time and space respectively, dunno what Giratina does; Uxie, Mesprit and Azelf are allegedly responsible for knowledge, emotion and willpower; Groudon and Kyogre shaped the earth in a battle of land vs. sea, and Groudon must've been getting his ground-type ass whupped when Rayquaza made them cut it out, because just look at that water-to-land ratio.

I'm not fond of gen 3 and 4's legendaries for this, either. Gen 5's are considerably less pantheon-like and more legendary:

·Kyurem is the original dragon that came around during some kind of war, and split into Zekrom and Reshiram (normal Kyurem being its empty husk) when two twin brothers fighting for ideals vs. truth, neither could beat the other because Dragon/Fire and Dragon/Electric are type combinations that are fairly neutral to each other.
·After them we've got the musketeers, who don't really do anything but attempt to help a hero fight evil, or whatever.
·The genies, who are "forces of nature" but really just seem to be powerful ******bags with weather powers.
·Meloetta doesn't seem to have much of a reason to be a legendary at all, besides having a form gimmick. But then, so do Rotom and Darmanitan...
·Victini is thought to be an allegory for a nuke but is actually a living apple slice.
·Genesect is basically Mewtwo 2, being a powerful thing some scientists decided "hey let's power it up more." Only instead of the scientists giving a Mew baby gene therapy, it was Team Plasma grafting cannons onto a prehistoric bug's back. I don't know where Plasma got any of the funding for their crazy shenanigans.

We can probably count on Xerneas and Yveltal being embodiments of good and evil.
It's YOUR problem!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2013, 10:10:39 PM »
Back to the Future

The 2015 Marty visits is not silly and is in fact perfectly plausible.
It's pretty funny to watch Part 2 now and see the projections the writers had about 2015 in the late 80s. Invariably, conversations about Back to the Future will involve "Where's my flying car?" and "They've only got two more years to make hoverboards."

But what if that's the future that could have been expected only without any tampering with history? After Part 3, Doc builds a new time machine and goes on joyrides in it with his 19th-century wife and sons. The changes he could have made in the past and intervening years could have veered us in different directions with technology and style than from what the movie had. If our present looked more like BttF's 2015 and the movie showed something more like what's real, we might think "wow, who even needs a TV like that if you're not going to watch six shows at once?" or "All that tech development wasted on computer games when you still have doorknobs at home." And on the flipside, our phones are much more advanced than the video conferences Marty had--we have FaceTime and can use that anywhere, which would look outrageously futuristic in comparison. It's something to think about... most of the luxuries they had in the movie are feasible, and must have looked really cool in 1989, but are nothing we're interested in now.
It's YOUR problem!

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2013, 08:41:47 AM »
I dunno, I'm pretty interested in the Mr. Fusion Home Energy Reactor. It'd be useful, even if incredibly dangerous.
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2013, 09:54:24 AM »
Gas companies aren't.

It's not impossible that Mr. Fusion came from even further in the future... I always got the impression it was invented by Doc himself. Maybe, given the name, I wasn't supposed to.
It's YOUR problem!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2016, 03:43:56 AM »
Pokémon

Mega Slowking

If you haven't been keeping up with Pokémon, I'll give a brief recap of what's been added to Slowpoke and Slowbro since the beginning.

Slowpoke can now evolve into Slowking instead of Slowbro. The transformed spiral Shellder attaches to its head instead of its tail and makes it intelligent.

As of Generation 6, Slowbro can now Mega Evolve into Mega Slowbro in battle through the use of a Mega Stone called Slowbronite, raising its Defense to an absurd degree. Mega Slowbro looks like this.

Slowbronite can't be used with Slowpoke or Slowking. Slowking cannot Mega Evolve.

However, I don't believe there is a biological difference between the three pink things involved in the Slowpoke family. Many Pokédex entries for Slowbro and Slowking talk about how if the Shellder is lost, the pink thing becomes a Slowpoke again. It even loses its enhanced intelligence if this happens to a Slowking. There is even an instance of a Pokédex unambiguously calling the pink thing Slowpoke and the shell Shellder without the context of the Shellder being lost: Mega Slowbro's Pokédex entry in Moon.

Quote from: Rotom
When bathed in the energy of Mega Evolution, Shellder converts into impregnable armor. There is virtually no change in Slowpoke.

The names Slowbro and Slowking therefore refer to the union of Slowpoke and Shellder in these particular ways, not enhanced forms of Slowpoke as would be seen if it evolved like a normal Pokémon. The Mega Stone called Slowbronite is actually compatible with the transformed Shellder instead. And you COULD use it with Slowking.

but don't, please
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2016, 07:21:33 PM »
"Now's not the time to use that!"
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Print