Print

Author Topic: Quite possibly the least known TV appearance for Mario...?  (Read 4322 times)

« on: October 18, 2009, 07:03:25 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEk8gxC06rU

This was something I found the other day in my old VHS tape collection. What you see here is a clip of Mario featured in a TV game show from Spain called El Gran Juego De La Oca. This program used to air on Telemundo (now called TeleFutura, I believe) back in the mid 1990's, and I used to DIG this show when I was a lot younger.

Basically there were four adult contestants, two men and two women, and what the game was about was this giant board game based on the centuries-old children's game, Juego de la oca (Game of the Goose). As they played the game, they competed in extreme stunts [at least for the time, =P] in a test of mind, physicality, and courage to win money and prizes. Stunts included activities like diving into a swimming pool to disarm some explosives underwater, or pulling ribbons from wild animals, to name a few.

What does this have to do with Mario? Well, in this segment of the show, the contestant "San Pablo" has to rescue Princess DAISY who's trapped inside an iron bar prison. To achieve this, he has to use a frame welder to burn through the metal/iron/copper/whatever, and set Daisy free! Daisy is basically a actress in a costume, just like Mario.

Apparently, the Spain division for Nintendo (Aptly named Nintendo of Spain) was a sponsor for that program, since they advertised the Mario series periodically through this show (Specifically, the Game Boy portable console I believe, hence Princess Daisy's "appearance" instead of Peach.)

Just something I'd thought I'd like to share. To make a discussion of this, let me ask if anyone has ever seen any random TV appearances of Mario anytime? Is that even a valid question at all? If not, then let's discuss about this obscure Mario TV appearance.

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 08:23:48 PM »
I only bothered watching the first minute. The music was recorded while someone playing All-Stars.
Yay!

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 08:49:37 PM »
The Mega Man 2 Robot Masters on Captain N were more faithful adaptations than this Mario.
Unless you are cloned, you do not need to look like a midget version of your dad. Okay Bowser Jr.?

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 02:02:53 PM »
Heh, I remember this!  Used to watch it with the whole family.  Couldn't find it anywhere on the internet, though.  Thanks!

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 11:36:16 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEk8gxC06rU

This was something I found the other day in my old VHS tape collection. What you see here is a clip of Mario featured in a TV game show from Spain called El Gran Juego De La Oca. This program used to air on Telemundo (now called TeleFutura, I believe) back in the mid 1990's, and I used to DIG this show when I was a lot younger.

Basically there were four adult contestants, two men and two women, and what the game was about was this giant board game based on the centuries-old children's game, Juego de la oca (Game of the Goose). As they played the game, they competed in extreme stunts [at least for the time, =P] in a test of mind, physicality, and courage to win money and prizes. Stunts included activities like diving into a swimming pool to disarm some explosives underwater, or pulling ribbons from wild animals, to name a few.

What does this have to do with Mario? Well, in this segment of the show, the contestant "San Pablo" has to rescue Princess DAISY who's trapped inside an iron bar prison. To achieve this, he has to use a frame welder to burn through the metal/iron/copper/whatever, and set Daisy free! Daisy is basically a actress in a costume, just like Mario.

Apparently, the Spain division for Nintendo (Aptly named Nintendo of Spain) was a sponsor for that program, since they advertised the Mario series periodically through this show (Specifically, the Game Boy portable console I believe, hence Princess Daisy's "appearance" instead of Peach.)

Just something I'd thought I'd like to share. To make a discussion of this, let me ask if anyone has ever seen any random TV appearances of Mario anytime? Is that even a valid question at all? If not, then let's discuss about this obscure Mario TV appearance.
I REMEMBER THIS!!! I used to watch this back in my country, and I was also surprised by Mario's appearance in this show. The game I actually remember with Mario was something to do with Game Boy and Tetrominos. Thanks for the video, by the way.

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 02:29:03 PM »
Probably the strangest Mario related thing I've ever seen. And that Mario suit was terrible

Print