Poll

Which of the following Mario platformers is your favorite?

Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario World
Print

Author Topic: SMB3 VS. SMW  (Read 37546 times)

« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2010, 04:17:17 PM »
Although I have fond memories of SMW, SMB3 was definatly a better game for me. Mostly the mini-games and power-ups. There were times that getting through the level was very tedious, moreso than SMW. I liked the challenge that SMB3 posed, but unfortunatly, I wasn`t able to finish it before my mom sold the game behind my back...

But SMW was the first game I had beaten (at six years, whoa). I enjoyed the concept of the cape and Yoshi, and the amazing graphics.

But I had always found SMB3 to be more entertaining. So it gets my vote.
The below statement is false
The above statement is true

« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2010, 05:34:25 PM »
A hidden level called "TOP SECRET AREA" that obviously no one but me believes (it IS real, I tried it.) Fun for a Mario Expert.

I have that level. Honestly, I have no idea how you get it because my friend showed me when I was young.

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2010, 07:57:05 PM »
There is a secret exit in the Donut Ghost House.
The below statement is false
The above statement is true

Jman

• Score
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2010, 05:15:14 PM »
I have fond memories of both games.  Seeing as how I still have my SNES along with Super Mario World and All Stars (but not on the same cartridge), I can enjoy both whenever I want.  They are both great games, but I think SMB3 wins out, especially for making the battle mode a stand-alone vs mode.  Of course, I've only beaten it once, where I've beaten SMW many times.
I always figured "Time to tip the scales" was Wario's everyday motto.

« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2010, 07:07:25 PM »
The fond childhood memories of Super Mario Bros. 3... me and my brothers would play it endlessly. When Super Mario World Came out we felt is like buy a NES game on the SNES and it didn't feel like much of an improvement so it didn't last long in our household so we sold it. Now I regret it and thank \fully I'm getting Super Mario World from someone here for 5$! Anyways... yeah, Super Mario Bros. 3 was just better overall, not saying Super Mario World sucked or anything but we all felt it was lack-luster in some way. The crazy powerups, the music, secrets and the levels all gave Super Mario 3 it's live-upto hype. The only thing it was lacking was save files. Super Mario World had a whole new world as a final reward that wouldn't disappear on you every sitting you played! Super Mario World had okay music, great level design but it was still missing something that made it feel like a SNES game, not a NES game, which it was originally planned to be before Sega made Nintendo get their act together.

Super Mario Bros. 3 was pushing the NES to it's limits while Super Mario World was doing quite the opposite on the SNES. The instruments they used for the music in Super Mario World was of low quality and so were the graphics. They could have one a much better job on a SNES game. The steel drums don't sound like any steel drum set that I know of and the bongos, the piano... what was Koji Kondo thinking?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 08:31:58 AM by nensondubois »
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2010, 01:59:57 AM »
Let's see. First game on the SNES hardware and they're using their brand new sampling capability. In 1991. I'd say they did a better job than you ever could have, nenson.
That was a joke.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2010, 02:02:23 AM »
1990, even.

« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2010, 12:17:32 PM »
Let's see. First game on the SNES hardware and they're using their brand new sampling capability. In 1991. I'd say they did a better job than you ever could have, nenson.

I'm sure they knew how to use sound samples when they made the game. They even sound like that in Yoshi's Island, Super Metroid and Star Fox. Maybe Nintendo just wasn't looking for realistic like sound as in Super Mario ExciteBike and Wario's woods; where they used voice samples.

« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2010, 04:44:17 PM »
Super Mario Bros. 3 was pushing the NES to it's limits while Super Mario World was doing quite the opposite on the SNES. The instruments they used for the music in Super Mario World was of low quality and so were the graphics. They could have one a much better job on a SNES game. The steel drums don't sound like any steel drum set that I know of and the bongos, the piano... what was Koji Kondo thinking?

So you're saying...
is better then

And is bad.

I assume the VIrtual Boy is your favorite Nintendo console?

« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2010, 05:57:44 PM »
Forgetting that at the beginning of each console's lifespan, pushing the system to the limits (on a system barely anyone's had experience with) will be inferior to what's accomplished with games late in its life.

So you're saying...
is better then
Of course; Mario walks faster in SMB3 according to that GIF.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 06:00:44 PM by penguinwizard »
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2010, 06:18:49 PM »
So you're saying...
is better then

And is bad.

I assume the VIrtual Boy is your favorite Nintendo console?

Not bad but not as good.

It's one of them.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2010, 06:55:48 PM »
Of course; Mario walks faster in SMB3 according to that GIF.
That GIF is inaccurate anyway; Mario's running animation in SMB3 goes through 4 frames.
That was a joke.

« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2010, 09:58:18 PM »
Here's my new comparison:

SMB3 - This is my favorite. It has 90 levels in 8 worlds. Power-ups are Mushroom, Super Leaf, Fire Flower, Goomba's Shoe, Tanooki Suit, Hammer Bros. Suit, and Starman. This has 2 remakes: Super Mario All-Stars on the Super Nintendo, and Super Mario Advance 4 on the Game Boy Advance. (I like SMA4 the best) Story: When Bowser attacks the Mushroom Kingdom, the 7 kings in every world were transformed. Then the Princess tells the Mario Bros. to save them. While they're on their journey, the Princess gets kidnapped by Bowser (of course...) And then Mario and Luigi beat him to save the princess. I got that information from Themushroomkingdom.net.

SMW - This one is still fun. It has 96 levels. Power-ups are Mushroom, Yoshi, Fire Flower, Cape, Super Leaf (only in the beta), and Starman. This has 1 remake: Super Mario Advance 2 on the Game Boy Advance. Story: Mario, Luigi, and Peach go for a picnic in Dinosaur Land. Then, Mario and Luigi want to go have fun and fly around. They come back, and Peach is gone! They are surprised. Then they go meet Yoshi to save the princess. I got that from the GBA version.

SMB3 is better!!!

« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2010, 10:04:54 PM »
I have to say I like the lineart a ton better on the SMB3 sprite (the SMAS version was amazing), but for their first time working with 16 colors, and considering eight colors of Mario's palette were already used for other things (Monty Moles, Princess Peach, etc), they did a decent job of shading.

And I'm pretty sure SMB3 Mario only had a 3-frame cycle.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2010, 10:59:33 PM »
People, people, people. Everyone in here keeps saying Super Mario World has 96 levels. It only has 74 levels.

jdaster, the animation consisted of three frames but the second frame was used again, i.e. 12321232123212321.
Just so I know I'm not crazy, watch this and see if it looks that way to you. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x00jzvfWH4I
That was a joke.

Print