Print

Author Topic: Stages for Super Smash Bros. 4  (Read 4570 times)

« on: August 05, 2011, 11:48:42 AM »
So we have a thread for characters you want in Smash Bros. 4, but it's always been my thought that the stages are just as important (maybe even MORE important?) than the roster of characters. 

Plus, a recent play-through of the N64 original (not to mention combing through the Smash Bros. Wiki) has reignited my love of a couple past stages that I'd LOVE to see return, mainly the original SMB 1 Mushroom Kingdom from Smash 64, and Brinstar Depths from Melee.  If we see Past Stages in Smash 4, those are FOR SURE at the top of my want list. 

As for new stuff, I've always wanted to see a stage based on the Mother Brain boss fight from the end of Metroid and Super Metroid.  Pools of acid, laser blasters, destructible Zebetite barriers and most importantly, a big, destructible Mother Brain!  In general I'd like to see more destructible environments in Smash 4. 

So what do you want?  Any old school stages you'd love to see return?  What are some new concepts for stages you'd like to see explored?
Haters gonna hate

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 11:50:09 AM »
Brinstar Depths and Poke Floats.

Hopin' Hyrule Temple is still in, because I love that stage.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 03:33:33 PM »
Odama stage. Complete with enemy soldiers and the giant pinball.

Rhythm Heaven stage. Like WarioWare, but with rhythm-based minigames!

(You can tell I don't care about Smash Bros. because I'm suggesting fanservice stuff rather than things tournament players would like.)

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 03:58:59 PM »
I would say not caring about Smash Bros. and not caring about tournament players can very definitely be two different things.  I'm a huge fan of SB and I have no desire to ever play at the tournament level.  What can I say, I like items and I like interesting levels.  And hey, the tournament players are all set as long as Final Destination is still available. 
Haters gonna hate

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 04:53:02 PM »
Judging from how many SSB players there are who obsess over tier lists as if they matter at all for anything except the upper echelon of players, does it really matter if you make a distinction here?

(Also, even the casual players I talk to - including members of this forum - hate random stages like WarioWare. A Rhythm Heaven stage would be the same thing, except it would require actual skill to clear the minigames.)

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 05:43:27 PM »
Bowser's Castle in some form. SMB, SMB3, whatever. That is all I ask.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 02:46:44 AM »
Yoshi's stage could be from Super Mario Galaxy 2. One of his stages in Melee was from World, so why not? Hightail Falls Galaxy would be appropriate, methinks
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 12:10:50 PM »
Yeah, I'd really like to see some Mario Galaxy influence in Smash 4.  A stage of mini-planetoids with varying gravity would be sweet. 

I think one stage per character is a reasonable expectation/goal.  If the character is worthy enough for Smash Bros., they should be worthy of a level.  The previous Smash games basically follow this formula, with some noteworthy exceptions, mainly the unfortunate lack of Bowser's Keep or Ganon's Tower.  Would love to see a couple villain-themed levels in Smash 4. 
Haters gonna hate

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 03:02:01 PM »
Yeah, I felt Smash Bros. Brawl didn't exactly do justice to the Kirby series in that regard, although the one new stage it got was one of the better/more interesting ones.  I guess SSBM having two/three made up for that, though.

Personally, I'd still like to see Sector Z and Hyrule Castle return, and a new Galaxy-themed stage would be pretty cool.  As much as I'm a fan of Rhythm Heaven, I don't think it's noteworthy enough to deserve a stage, and I'm not sure how it would flow with the Smash Bros. vibe were one included.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 04:38:28 PM »
Sincce Miis are probably going to be in, I'd like to see the Mii channel with the Check Mii Out channel mountains as obsticles. Also Pictochat needs to come back.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 05:50:52 PM »
Brawl didn't exactly do justice to the Kirby series in that regard

I can't agree more with you there.

I think a nice Kirby stage would be Candy Constellation from Amazing Mirror--it could be a simple ground-and-platforms stage, with a scrolling level crawling with enemies in the background. Arthur's stage, Demon Village, from Marvel vs. Capcom 3 is pretty much what I'm thinking of here.

Originally I had this big fat post detailing at least ten stages and how I want them but I think spreading it out and talking about just one in each is a better plan
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 05:52:50 PM »
I still kind of hate that they apparently couldn't come up with a better Metroid stage than Frigate Orpheon.  They had Norfair, sure, but the Frigate was a dud.

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2011, 10:40:36 AM »
I liked Frigate Orpheon.  I'd still rather have a sweet Mother Brain/Tourian level, but Orpheon had a lot of cool effects, and the parasite Queen is one of the most memorable moments in the Prime series.  It was cool and a little surprising to see a stage based on Metroid Prime.

On the subject of Kirby stages, I'd really dig something yarn-styled to represent Epic Yarn.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 10:43:22 AM by billy chilly »
Haters gonna hate

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2011, 10:46:46 AM »
the parasite Queen is one of the most memorable moments in the Prime series.

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2011, 01:19:27 PM »
??? It's the first big boss, and the climax of the tense, eerie opening moments of MP1.  Yeah maybe it's not as memorable as fighting Metroid Prime or exploring Sky Town but it's a pretty rad way to kick off a game, and mirrors the opening sequence of Super Metroid as if to say "Yeah this is a different game, but it's still very Metroid."
Haters gonna hate

Print