Print

Author Topic: The Super Mario Bros.: The Movie sequel has arrived... in comic form!  (Read 7318 times)

Super-Jesse

• Unstoppable News Machine
« on: August 27, 2013, 09:54:14 PM »
While everyone looks down on Super Mario Bros.: The Movie, it was the highlight of 7 year old me's life and still holds a special place in my heart. I still remember that ending that left "fans" wondering, would there be a sequel?

It was no surprise that it never happened, but after a 2010 interview with Parker Bennett, the film's screenwriter, where he explained his intentions if there had been another film, writers Steven Applebaum and Ryan Hoss decided to continue the story of the Super Mario Bros. cinematic adventure and reached out to Bennett. Together, the three of them spent time picking apart the original film's world, which for better or worse was much different than that of the game. Now, those discussions have birthed a sequel for the movie in the form of an online comic, written by Applebaum and Hoss and drawn by Eryk Donovan and Jaymes Reed.

Applebaum explained what exactly inspired him to press on with a movie that, for all accounts, was a dud.

"Super Mario Bros. provided a look into a world too rich and too original to not explore again. We knew that the original had its fans and felt that if we brought the Mario Bros. back to Dinohattan there would be an audience for that story."

The gang's objective is to post one page per week to create the first story arc, with ten chapters consisting of ten pages each planned to lead to a climax that will end a "trilogy" for the characters. Not only that, Applebaum would like to have several side-stories that expand the universe and allow other writers and artists to take over.

A few pages for the comic have already been posted, which you can check out right here!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 10:06:13 PM by Deezer »
<Kojinka> When I saw this thread back on top, I was afraid this was gonna be another pointless bump by a new member, but when I saw Super-Jesse's username, my fears were laid to rest.

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 07:41:54 PM »
Pretty neat! I was wondering if anybody was ever going to pick it up where the movie left off, or if the ending was just going to stay a hook forever.

I'm not sure about some of the..style choices (like the way the one artist depicted the final scene of the movie), but to each their own, I guess.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 03:55:47 AM »
I'm not sure about some of the..style choices (like the way the one artist depicted the final scene of the movie), but to each their own, I guess.
I'm one of the writers for the comic. I wanted to thank you for posting, but was curious about what style choices in particular you didn't like. What about the final scene's adaptation don't you agree with?

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 01:58:00 AM »
Something about the way the characters look, like their heads are almost too small or something.. I don't know. It just looked a little weird to me. Given, I know it's a comic, and it's popular to do things like that in comics.. But it's also been just those two pages depicting the final scene of the movie. All the other pages have looked fine.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 01:59:37 AM by Toad »
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 01:06:46 AM »
That's a rather odd perception, especially since our previous artist drew complaints about his heads being too big.

Do you at least like the story direction?

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 08:03:56 AM »
I do indeed! I can't wait to read more. :)

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 10:09:39 PM »
For the record, I'm having a blast with this. As clumsy as the movie was, I always secretly thought there were glimmers of potential in there for a really cool gritty and "realistic" fantasy story, and this comic's so far making good on that promise after so many years!
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Print