Print

Author Topic: Super Playstation Bros. Brawl  (Read 14061 times)

« on: April 27, 2012, 12:02:02 PM »
So Sony's cloned Smash Bros. with Playstation-exclusive characters:

http://www.gametrailers.com/episode/gametrailers-tv/152?ch=1

The gameplay looks almost exactly the same, right down to what appear to be final smashes.  Still, it's cool to see another studio try their hand at the Smash Bros. formula... hopefully this will be more successful than the Viewtiful Joe/Ninja Turtle/Cartoon Network attempts at recreating Smash Bros.

I sometimes forget how important nostalgia is for Smash Bros... I think that's why I love that series so much, and why this one doesn't really do it for me.  I've only ever owned a PS2 waaaaay after the fact, so I don't really care about Parappa or Sackboy or Kratos like I do Mario, Link and Samus.  I'm sure plenty of players, especially younger ones who grew up playing the PSX and PS2 the way I grew up on the NES and Super NES are jizzing like maniacs right now.  Including Cloud could probably move a couple million titles alone. I'm surprised we haven't seen him yet. Alucard would be cool too.

Maybe Microsoft will follow suit?  Finally, a game that could pit Master Chief and the steroids-looking guy from Gears of War against... Master Chief and the steroids-looking guy from Gears of War?

I guess I'm just excited about this because having some "competition" will put pressure on Sakurai and co. to really bring their A-game. The only thing that jumped out at me about PSX Bros. is the levels. They seem pretty dynamic, and having the levels themselves be mash-ups is pretty neat... but at the same time, I really like Smash Bros.' cohesive, single-theme levels.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 12:08:24 PM by billy chilly »
Haters gonna hate

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 03:18:17 PM »
Crash, Spyro, Jak, Ratchet, Sly, Drake pl0x
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 03:32:11 PM »
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 07:13:04 PM »
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 07:32:28 PM »
Add Commander Keen and a mascot from Roller Coaster Tycoon, and I'm in.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 09:55:28 PM »
Every single post except CE7's made me facepalm hard, for various reasons.

Anyway, I hope Gitaroo Man somehow makes it in. Kevin Butler will probably be in this game somewhere. Possibly as the mysterious final boss they talked about in the vid.

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 05:08:24 PM »

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 07:02:47 AM »
And Penny-Arcade nails it: http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2012/04/30
Haters gonna hate

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 12:06:27 PM »
Muh. I don't really get what the big deal here is. The original Smash Bros. had twelve characters and we were cool with that. The first release of Street Fighter II had eight, and so does Skullgirls. Sony doesn't have a whole lot of faces they can call their own... but they have enough to justify this game. Cole of inFAMOUS hasn't even been announced to be in it yet.

I think the thread title explains it; Brawl's roster is just so fat and slobbish that when you put it this way, anything normal looks tiny. But then again, Street Fighter 4 grew one that large and Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3's is even bigger (and even then we're still *****ing about the lack of Mega Man and Green Goblin and whoev!). So, who knows. If I were plotting a fighting game I'd personally shoot for twenty every time and always be sure to have no more than ten returning characters in the sequels, the remaining ten being new. And I'll stop right there before I say something even more irrelevant
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 12:42:30 PM »
Crash, Spyro, Jak, Ratchet, Sly, Drake pl0x
Crash Bandicoot = not PlayStation-exclusive
Spyro = not PlayStation-exclusive
Sly = already announced, did you even watch the vid?

The other three I'd guarantee though.

The Penny Arcade comic exaggerates the situation. People love Sackboy. They have Uncharted and Infamous and Killzone and Resistance all those cartoony PS2-era games Turtlekid1 mentioned. And if you use 2-3 characters per series it adds up fast.

Nariko from Heavenly Sword would make a good character. I wonder if Heavy Rain, Valkyria Chronicles, Demon's Souls, or 3D Dot Game Heroes will get any representation.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 01:01:21 PM »
I highly doubt any of those games in your last sentence except Heavy Rain would see a rep in this game. Even though Demon's Souls was published by Sony in Japan, the franchise is now cross-platform; similarly, Valkyria Chronicles seems especially unlikely since it's being repped in an upcoming 3DS game. 3D Dot Game Heroes is PS3-exclusive, sure, but I don't think we'll be seeing much in the way of third-party IPs in here, even if they're Sony-exclusive.

I'd like to see a playable Patapon rep. The God of War stage is cool, but not enough.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 01:44:06 PM »
Crash Bandicoot = not PlayStation-exclusive
Spyro = not PlayStation-exclusive
Sly = already announced, did you even watch the vid?
The first two were PS-exclusive when they were worth bothering with.  :c
And no, I hadn't watched the video at the time, because buffering.

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 02:17:54 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised to see the dude from Shadow of the Colossus. He could even summon a Colossus as his super ultra move.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2012, 02:39:00 PM »
Wander would be pretty cool.

If Sony does decide they'll have some third-party stuff in, I wouldn't be surprised to see Cloud Strife or Sephiroth appear in some capacity. Not that I particularly like either of these characters or want to see them over any other third-party characters—like LD, I'd love to see Gitaroo Man if such a thing were possible—but Final Fantasy VII and its spinoffs have been great for Sony over the years, and Square Enix loves money and Final Fantasy-milking. (Cloud would be less likely, as he's been in Kingdom Hearts games on non-Sony platforms, but they might be willing to ignore such in this theoretical scenario, just like how they'll probably have Wipeout-related stuff in and ignore the fact that the series was originally cross-platform with Sega Saturn and PC.)

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 05:33:42 PM »
I've wondered how Wander would do in a SSB setting.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2012, 05:46:23 PM »
Muh. I don't really get what the big deal here is.

It's not the quantity of the characters, it's the quality.  "Jak vs Fat Princess" doesn't really have the same holy [dukar] factor as "Mario vs Link."
Haters gonna hate

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2012, 09:16:43 PM »
Replace "Fat Princess" with, say, Sly, and that's very debatable.

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2012, 01:10:01 AM »
Kratos vs. Sackboy is cooler than Mario vs. Link.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2012, 01:45:22 AM »
I'm quite partial to Jotaro vs. Kenshiro.

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2012, 12:48:25 AM »
*looks at Crosseyed's pic*
That's pretty good, but it bugs the heck out of me that Hudson Horstachio is being called Franklin.

I'm not knowledgeable about Sony characters... guess I'd nominate Amaterasu, although she's already in the Capcom game. Sly's already in, I'd definitely go for him. What about the King of All Cosmos from Katamari Damacy, could he make it in? As an end boss at least?
You didn't say wot wot.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2012, 12:58:38 AM »
The only character you mentioned who isn't third-party (not to mention multi-platform) is Sly.

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2012, 11:02:55 AM »
I'd like to just roll my eyes at at this. The only the Playstation character I have serious nostalgia for is PaRappa the Rapper, and unfortunately, its the level of nostalgia where the rational portion of my brains turn off and I become a drooling fan-zombie. So I have no real objections and Sony is allowed to take the money from me at any time it deems acceptable.
Kweeh! Kweeh! Yes, Kweeh forever!

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2012, 09:30:10 PM »
So they confirmed Nathan Drake and the Big Bad Booty Daddy from Bioshock.

But where is

Blasto?
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2012, 09:59:46 PM »
They need to put in Ethan Mars. His specials would be crying, drinking orange juice, and giving his son a piggy back ride. Everything will be controlled by quick time events.

Also, noone seemed to mention Sweet Tooth yet, for he is also a playable character.

And there's always the possible apperance of a certain soldier of fortune...
"Floor ice cream gives you health!" - Pit, Kid Icarus Uprising.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga

« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2012, 03:50:56 PM »
Well we all knew that was going to happen.
Unwillingly, but successfully! Twice!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2012, 05:12:47 PM »
Yeah we sure did. For twelve days in fact
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2012, 06:01:02 PM »
Sorry for bumping, but I'm just going to announce that Dante, Evil Cole, Raiden, and Sir Daniel (forget his last name) are now playable characters. Also, in other news, the only way to defeat an opponent is with a super move you can preform by filling up an energy meter... What in the name of Wrinkly Kong's ghost is that all about?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 06:27:34 PM by Electric »

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2012, 09:45:21 PM »
None of that is news.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2012, 05:54:58 PM »
No, but what is news is that the beta is now live for all PlayStation Plus users and Vita owners in the US. I'm downloading it right now.

« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2012, 04:37:19 PM »
I heard that Radec and Kratos were the cheapest characters in the game so far.

Also, the beta should be downloadable to everyone today.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2013, 05:37:00 PM »
Kat (Gravity Rush) and Emmett Graves (Starhawk) are available as DLC for this game today. They'll be free for everyone for the first two weeks, so I recommend people with PS3s and/or Vitas and/or existing Sony Entertainment Network accounts grab it even if they don't have the game.

I'm still holding out for a $20 sale on PSN before I buy it myself, but I've played a friend's copy a bunch and really enjoy it. The basic gameplay is very different from Super Smash Bros., and not in a bad way; the "arena fighter" structure is similar, but last I checked, that's how a genre works. The "familiar characters" and "nostalgia" issues a lot of people have don't affect me at all either, considering I main Donte and Heihachi, characters from series I have zero emotional investment in.

Blaze the Fox

• AmbitiousShade
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2013, 04:23:50 PM »
Meh. It still feels like a Super Smash Bros: Sony Edition to me. Sure, they changed some stuff, but in the end it still resembles SSB far too much for me to consider it as a different game. Although, I find the inclusion of Spike and the Big Daddy to be interesting, the latter especially since Bioshock isn't a Playstation exclusive. Probably won't be getting it, unless it's amazing or I have extra cash lying around.
"Oh, you haven't heard?  Because it was my understanding that everyone had heard."
"Heard what?"    "Brian don- A-b-b-bird bird bird, bird is the word!"

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2013, 04:59:23 PM »
And I'm sure you don't like any other two games of the same genre, right?
It's YOUR problem!

Blaze the Fox

• AmbitiousShade
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2013, 06:57:38 PM »
That's not what I'm saying. Two games of the same genre do not necessarily mean almost identical. Look at Halo versus Call of Duty. Same genre, but they have a lot of differences. SSB and PSAS are not that much different.
"Oh, you haven't heard?  Because it was my understanding that everyone had heard."

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2013, 10:57:49 PM »
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed is more similar to Mario Kart than PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale is to Super Smash Bros., but the racing feels much better and it doesn't have that dang blue shell. Would you still refuse to play it on the grounds that it's too similar to Mario Kart?

Jump Superstars and Jump Ultimate Stars are a lot closer to Super Smash Bros. than PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale is, with (among other things) an actual ring-out mechanic. Would you refuse to play them for the same reason?

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2013, 11:11:05 PM »
Even if it were identical to Smash Bros., the fact still remains that you're able to play as Parappa, Spike and Sweet Tooth in this game but not in Smash Bros. Surely people still like crossovers because of the characters that appear in them, right?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2013, 11:37:38 PM »
Hey, was that Viewtiful Joe fighting game any good?
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2013, 12:12:38 AM »
I heard it wasn't, but that wouldn't stop me from buying it because I love Viewtiful Joe enough to not really care about the quality of a spin off title.
Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than hell itself... that is coffee.

« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2013, 12:23:40 AM »
I sure did love that Sonic fighting game. It let me play as Sonic at least a decade before he appeared in Brawl.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2013, 03:00:48 AM »
Red Hot Rumble is ttttttttttterrible. At least, it sure as heck isn't a fighting game. It's got all these phases during the "fight" where you have to collect diamonds or fight bad guys or whatever. If you're wanting a Viewtiful Joe fighting game (and you do, even if you don't know what Viewtiful Joe is), this isn't it.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2013, 03:37:48 AM »
I agree with Bird Person. One time I collected four people and we played it. The game never entered my Cube again.

Blaze the Fox

• AmbitiousShade
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2013, 02:07:33 PM »
Fair enough, Warp. Regardless, my financials at the moment are not sufficient to buy PSAS, but.. maybe I'll look into it.

On a side note, Ape Escape was one of my favorite games as a kid, and the return of Spike just makes me all nostalgia-happy.

« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2013, 09:26:09 PM »
Red Hot Rumble is ttttttttttterrible. At least, it sure as heck isn't a fighting game. It's got all these phases during the "fight" where you have to collect diamonds or fight bad guys or whatever. If you're wanting a Viewtiful Joe fighting game (and you do, even if you don't know what Viewtiful Joe is), this isn't it.

This is why Marvel vs Capcom 3 exists. To spam Voomerangs.
Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than hell itself... that is coffee.

Print