Yes
0 (0%)
No
20 (83.3%)
Maybe
4 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Print

Author Topic: Should the 1-Up Mushroom just die?  (Read 11483 times)

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2009, 05:44:23 PM »
...Mario tried to commit suicide.

Those stupid Youtube videos (featuring horrible voice acting) of virtually the same name come to mind
Formerly quite reasonable.

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2009, 05:53:51 PM »
The horrible voice acting made it funny.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

J.J. McCullough

• Groin-grabbingly Awesome
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2009, 04:58:53 PM »

If there were no 1-ups, we'd be stuck with the following alternatives:
-Start the game over from the beginning (not really an issue with the way modern games use saves, but think about, say, playing on a GameCube without a memory card)
-Give the player infinite lives a la Super Princess Peach, taking away the challenge for more experienced players
-Make the player go to a far-away area every time they die (think about some of the places in Sunshine for an example)

The current system works fine as it gives a nice compromise between helping out and adding to the challenge--the challenge of the level and also to accumulate these mushrooms is still there, but there are still consequences if the player dies too much.

I think this is a very good analysis. There has been a dramatic increase in the amount of time it takes to truly "play" a game these days, with all the overworlds and portals and so forth. As the poster says, it's very annoying and disruptive to have a steady stream of, say, battles with a particularly difficult boss, suddenly disrupted by having to tromp around the overworld and find the manhole cover to jump back in, or whatever. Yet it's the threat of this annoyance (presented by a finite number of lives) that makes a challenging part of the game more intense to play.

The NSMB-related interview with Miyamoto that was linked on TMK recently is relevant as well. Miyamoto explains that enjoying a Mario game is often a case of having one's emotions manipulated in various ways, especially being manipulated into a state of "nervous excitement," in his words. 1-ups give the gamer a list of "chances," and when we have limited chances at anything in life, we inevitably get more excited and serious. And those are important emotions to feel in the course of playing a video game.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 05:00:26 PM by J.J. McCullough »
"Gravity is not only a law, it's a good idea."

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2009, 07:20:53 PM »
The horrible voice acting made it funny.

No, no it didn't... at all.

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2009, 01:55:36 AM »
I disagree.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2009, 07:05:02 PM »
Have you guys noticed the absense of 1-Up Mushrooms in Paper Mario titles and SMRPG? They are already dying!
"I'm a grade-A, 100% prime-cut final boss!"- Bowser, SPM

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2009, 07:11:36 PM »
The Ultra Shroom in TTYD looks like a 1-Up Mushroom to me...
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2009, 07:28:06 PM »
You don't get lives in those games so it's moot anyway.
That was a joke.

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2009, 07:42:37 PM »
Well, maybe, but it's a Mario icon! They could have used it for something else, even for what the Life Shroom does. Maybe we'll see a replacement?

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2009, 08:00:47 PM »
Closest thing to a 1-Up Mushroom in Super Mario RPG is the Chancellor's head, I guess... it is green, after all. Is that what you want, to see the Chancellor's floating head in future games? Tilting back and forth as it always does?
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2009, 08:26:53 PM »

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2009, 06:19:43 PM »
I apologize for mini-bumping, but back then, games could kick my butt and still do (SMB2J). Nowadays, (since there's so many 1-Ups and the games are easier overall), I have to go to Youtube to figure out what the game over samples sound like... and that is sad! I had never heard Galaxy's or both the NSMBs'.... or Sunshine's for that matter....

Here's to hoping that Nintendo doesn't take a cue from NSMB Wii and subsequently doesn't turn Super Mario Galaxy 2 into "Mario's 1-Up Factory 2."

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2010, 12:00:57 PM »
It wouldn't be so hard to intentionally die, you know. It'd take a while, but it'd be no harder than winning the game normally.

We need more game over screens like this.
You didn't say wot wot.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2010, 01:33:51 PM »
You all should have seen this coming.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2010, 07:20:46 PM »
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Print