Print

Author Topic: "The Nintendo Commandments"  (Read 13483 times)

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« on: June 14, 2008, 09:29:53 AM »
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 09:44:19 AM »
Interesting how most of these were in the early-mid '90s. I wonder what it was that originally got Nintendo into that attitude?
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 10:06:50 AM »
It won't show me the entire article.  it cuts out on the Punchout example, where it says "For the NES versio"
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 10:18:31 AM »
This is pretty bad, I have to say. The article. Max needs some schoolin'.
That was a joke.

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 10:37:20 AM »
I thought it was funny reading a guy's comment on how you come off as ignorant and immature when you don't understand the importance of censorship and a guy posted a retaliation comment that basically proved his point.

But the whole article is pretty stupid.
I'm a horrible person.

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 11:11:39 AM »

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 11:15:14 AM »
I'm pretty sure that was the exact same Castlevania screen shot they used in the latest Nintendo Power.

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2008, 12:16:29 PM »
Oh yeah... I remember that.

AHHHHH! "Yes,Bobby?" "I had a nightmare where Dracula's disimbodied head tried to bite me!"
The next day...

"Hello? Nintendo Power." "Your stupid ******* front cover of ******* Darcula w/out his ******* body gave my **** child, Bobby, a ******* nightmare, you ********!" "[hangs up]"
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 12:15:24 AM by Deezer »

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2008, 12:28:38 PM »
My favorite comment:

Wow. Why even do this? Putting this together was totally a waste of your time and an insult to status quo of the times these games were released. If you don’t understand the importance and necessity of censorship, don’t write about it because you only come across as being ignorant and immature.
every

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2008, 12:39:34 PM »
Woah. Thats a pretty bad insult. But, I agree. Censorship is censorship. Don't insult it, or you might have the FCC on your doorstep instead of a new video game.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2008, 01:48:36 PM »
The Red Cross wasn't taken out of EB for religious reasons. The Red Cross Association could've taken legal action against Nintendo if they wanted to.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2008, 03:11:48 PM »
Besides, if a company chooses to censor it's own product...that's within their rights to do so. Telling them not to do what they want could theoretically be construed as censorship too, right? Nintendo wanted to be family friendly, I really don't understand why that bothers people.

I mean, when I was a kid I wanted lots of blood and gore and other nonsense and hated it getting removed. Then I grew up and realized it's not even important. Maybe it's seeing how my generation is turning out...

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2008, 07:23:18 PM »
The Red Cross wasn't taken out of EB for religious reasons. The Red Cross Association could've taken legal action against Nintendo if they wanted to.
In that case, the Roman Catholic Church is in for a lawsuit.

I don't see what's wrong with the article, honestly. I mean, yeah, they did some of these things for good reasons, but I didn't really see the guy as bashing anything.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2008, 02:13:54 AM »
My favorite (as in they're so ridiculous to be funny) censorship moments in the first article were the irony bits, such as completely missing the line for Chunky in the Donkey Kong 64 rap (what, was the rap so terrible that not even Nintendo could watch it all the way through? Rare should have never included that rap in the first place), and reminding people of Monster Party for NES. I look back on it and wonder why on earth Monster Party never gave me nightmares. You remember halfway through the first level where all the happy stuff turns to evil bleeding things.

I was surprised to see Secret of Mana on there... and I agree, "Heck Hound" is ridiculous, but on second thought, that just adds to the charm, more interesting than the other name for it. Even though I like the name Howler better.

Actually, what am I saying, I've seen Secret of Mana on one of these articles before... the infamous secret page that one of those magic floating book enemies occasionally flips to.
You didn't say wot wot.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2008, 07:34:48 AM »
Besides, if a company chooses to censor it's own product...that's within their rights to do so. Telling them not to do what they want could theoretically be construed as censorship too, right? Nintendo wanted to be family friendly, I really don't understand why that bothers people.

Um, you're kind of missing the point. It was someone else's product they were censoring, not their own. Theoretically the developer could just not release it on NES, but because of Nintendo's monopoly on the market they pretty much had to if they wanted sales.

Personally, I'm anti-censorship. If Nintendo wanted to release games on their system, they should've put content descriptors on the box instead of candy-coating everything so little kids' parents wouldn't be offended.
every

Print