Print

Author Topic: Dota 2 and Dota 2 Related Shenanigans  (Read 5846 times)

« on: April 10, 2013, 10:55:39 AM »
So Dota 2 is a fun game that you can get for free from http://steamcommunity.com/id/dota2bot if you have a Steam account (also free, for those who don't know).

And I thought it'd be fun if some of us, including those among us who don't know anything at all about Dota, played a few matches together.

We could go over the basics together in a match against some bots, click on stuff, and have a good time.

(You can find my ID here: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ruffledpuffin)

Thoughts?
Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than hell itself... that is coffee.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 11:26:14 AM »
Dota 2 is a pretty cool game. I haven't played it in months, though, because I've been busy with other games (Guild Wars 2 and loads of non-PC stuff).

I guess I'd be up for some co-op vs. AI games sometime. I also have a bunch of invites for the game if anyone needs one.

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 12:28:42 PM »
Got myself a copy and installed it. Can't say I'll be playing much because I'm on a League kick (have been for a while now), but hey, we'll see.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 11:54:11 PM »
Since the tutorial is still underway, here's a guide on how to play.
Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than hell itself... that is coffee.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 12:53:31 PM »
I've kinda played Heroes of Newerth sometimes, so should I just say "close enough" and carry on?
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 04:16:26 PM »
I'd recommend giving it a skim. Probably not a really thorough read is necessary for you, but there might be a few new things in there.

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 05:25:12 PM »
Hey Godot,

I'm a new guy to this board, and don't really have anything to contribute.
A few months ago I tried to get into Dota 2. I had not played any MOBA game before, so it's all foreign to me.
I started with offline bots matches, and got obliterated. (the comps won for me, but I'm the lowest level out of everyone)
So I tried reading that guide. It was information overload for a newbie like me. I could only get up to the part about laning before stopping.
But it improved my offline game. (Not as underleveled as before)
And I thought, hey, why not try an online game against easy bots? Big mistake. We lost. And I haven't played since.
At one point in the game, people called out on me, but I didn't know what I did wrong. Looking back, maybe it's because I was minding my own business while everyone was ganking.

I've been playing Sven because I wanted to get used to the game mechanics before actually learning the heroes and items.
It's frustrating to go back to the guide as well as the videos made by the same person, because in all of these helpers, the author is already assuming you know the basic game mechanics. I feel like I'm bashing my head against a brick wall.

Now that I've whined enough, I was hoping you could give some pointers to smooth my transition into Dota 2.
I'll try to play again, but I feel like I'm at a Catch-22: I suck at the game because I didn't read the guides, and I can't understand the guide because I didn't play the game enough.
If there is a better way to learn this game, please let me know.

I'll take up on your offer to take on bots together. Learning with people is usually the best way.
My Steam is BlueDo. Hopefully we can get a time to do it together.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 05:29:46 PM by BlueDo »

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 05:14:21 PM »

That is all.

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 09:55:33 PM »
Just wanted to make a public service announcement.

Also, YOU CAN'T RUN FROM HEAVEN

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 09:47:46 PM »
I have to say, I love the absurd combinations of cosmetics you can have in this game.

Like Double Pipe Kunkka

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, 05:53:02 AM »
Thanks for this information ,  I didn't play Dota 2 yet . I will try it .

Print