Print

Author Topic: Super Mario World VS Yoshi's Island  (Read 8946 times)

« on: April 30, 2001, 03:09:04 PM »
Okay...SMWorld and Yoshi's Island are my two favorite Mario games(Mario RPG comes close) and I wonder which one do you find the best.

My vote goes for Yoshi's Island. I think it is more than just a platformer, some of my friends who don't like platformers love Yoshi's Island, actually SMWorld too...

Let's take a look at both games:

Graphics: SMW is of course much older and YI uses the maximum powers of SNES, but both are bright and detailful. YI wins because rich detail and the crayon-coloring.  :)

Music: Here I think YI is the clear winner! Especially the music in some of the bosses' castles.

Controlling: Both games are superb in that...

Enemies and items: Yoshi's Island has the greatest endbosses EVER! And I've played A LOT of games.. :)  SMWorld has cool enemies too.

Overall, SMWorld has got a bigger world, and isn't so linear, but I think Yoshi's Island is like a great experience, sadly I've heard that Yoshi's Story isn't as good...

Give me your comments!

"Hammer time!" -hammer bros.

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2001, 03:25:41 PM »
I definitley prefer Yoshi's Island.  One of the best games out there, in my opinion.

-----------------------

-=bï||¥ ©hî||ÿ=-
Haters gonna hate

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2001, 03:55:44 PM »
I love Super Mario World, it's my fav mario game. But yoshi island is good too.

Sig...
------------------------------
Small Console = Big Ballz

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2001, 04:07:37 PM »

I like Yoshi's Island a lot better. And there's just some charm to it that makes you want to play it all over again.

But the only point where I prefer Super Mario World over Yoshi's Island is that YI has Baby Mario in it. And Baby Mario is the most annoying character in the world in my opinion (tied with Navi).

I also prefer Yoshi's Island because Yoshi is the star.

btw, Yoshi's Story isn't all that good. Actually, the graphics are awesome, and some other stuff like gameplay is really good. However, the game blows because of two things: too easy, and the most annoying game in the world.

If you don't know what's annoying about it, read the review from IGN or somewhere. You'll see just how horrible the game is because of how it's oriented. That's all it took to take it from what would be a stellar game into one of the worst games ever.

May Yoshi live long and prosper...
Oh, and may PenguinWizard have the same treatment.
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2001, 04:39:29 PM »
Comparing "Super Mario World" and "Yoshi's Island" is like comparing "Aliens" and "Alien 3," or "Batman Returns" and "Batman Forever."  One has almost everything, the other has nothing and just drags the first one down with it.  The graphics, music, controlling, enemies, items, and replay value are all noticably better in "Super Mario World" than in "Yoshi's Island."  And, for Yoshiboshi, "Yoshi's Story" is better than "Yoshi's Island" (not by much, though).

Vwee-voo! Forget "Yoshiyoshi!" "Vwee-voo!" is better!
Mega 2
Cybernetic Abiogenesis Project

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2001, 04:23:26 AM »
Mega 2, do you have some strange traumas from playing Yoshi's Island? Like after playing it your house burned down(with your dog inside it)?
And Alien 3 is pretty good...

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2001, 07:21:41 AM »
I bought "Yoshi's Island" expecting it to be about as good as "Super Mario World," or at least as good as "Super Mario Bros."  When I started playing it I was so disgusted I considered returning it.

"Yoshi's Island" is the most disappointing video game ever connected to "Mario," and an embarassment to Nintendo.  It didn't sell, and pretty much everybody agrees that it was lousy.

I wrote an in-depth review of it, but I haven't put it on my site yet due to computer problems.

Vwee-voo! Forget "Yoshiyoshi!" "Vwee-voo!" is better!
Mega 2

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2001, 09:18:06 AM »
Wow.  I don't think I've ever heard of a person who hated Yoshi's Island.  But, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

As for my opinion, I have a hard time deciding.  I think I egde it to SMW because of the two player option and how Mario can often go one direction while Luigi goes another. I always really enjoyed that.  But Yoshi's Island is great, too; don't get me wrong.  The looks and music of Yoshi's Isalnd are still among what I concider the best in videogames, even today, and it provides hours of replay value trying to get 100pts in each level.

SMW and SMW2 are two awesome games.  I hope they are both re-released on the GBA.
--Roy Koopa
--Oldest and coolest of the Seven Koopa Kids!

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2001, 12:52:25 PM »
Regardless of what Mega2's views are (as they are his opinion and he is entitled to them, as long as he doesn't try and force other people to have the same view as him)...

I think Yoshi's Island is the best Mario game ever created, if not one of the best video games of all time. It's massive, has amazing graphics and music, is fun from beginning to end, and has the "point-structure" as well, which increases the replay value tenfold.

Pocket Monster Island - http://fryguy64.tripod.com
TMK''s newest affiliate
Webmaster
nindb.classicgaming.gamespy.com - Nintendo Database

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2001, 02:10:28 PM »
too happy

Would you like to buy a star?

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2001, 05:24:16 PM »
YI SUCKS! THE WORST GAME IN HISTORY! Capital B for Bad! Worst game! Baby Mario is a cheap add on. I liked the way Baby Bowser was, I think it was cool, but Baby Mario? Plus the plot makes no friggen sense. MB are born in Brooklyn, and in the game, they're born in TMK? Thats ****ed up! I HATE THIS GAME!
Its me! That silly willy Koopa!

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2001, 06:41:45 PM »
Mega 2, is that you??

-----------------------

-=bï||¥ ©hî||ÿ=-
Haters gonna hate

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2001, 06:48:05 PM »
I don't think I've ever seen someone break two rules in one post. And if this keeps going, it could break a third...

Does your face hurt?
If at first you dont succeed, skydiving is not for you.

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2001, 12:31:09 AM »
KinopioToad, check out my "Where were the Mario Bros. born?" thread.  It may get you to like YI a bit more.  Maybe...
--Roy Koopa
--Oldest and coolest of the Seven Koopa Kids!

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2001, 06:17:12 AM »
I'm not the same person as Iggy Koopa.

Mega 2
Mega 2

Print