Print

Author Topic: Proof that female Yoshies exist  (Read 9588 times)

« on: May 03, 2001, 09:18:21 PM »
And I'm not talking about Yoshi fan art...

All this time most of us probably thought that all Yoshies were of one gender (male). Others think all Yoshies are part male and part female. But as we know from YI, any Yoshi can lay eggs and throw them.

Anyway, I looked in some Nintendo related stuff and found proof that there isn't one type of Yoshi. I find this odd, since this point kind of goes into what the video games don't cover, and Nintendo has a bad reputation of answering any of these questions with answers that make no sense.

So it's strange how Nintendo somehow answered it for us.

BTW, note how it's actually correct to say Yoshies instead of Yoshis.

My strongest proof that male and female Yoshies exist comes from this statement in the Yoshi's Island Player's Guide:

"Hence the Yoshies decide to use a relay system, figuring that the baby would be best protected by a Yoshi most familiar with the area he or she was crossing."

He or she. That's undeniable proof, even if the guide gets a little goofy with the prelude.

I also noticed how in Yoshi's Story, the Pink Yoshi has the highest pitch voice of all the normal Yoshies. Now that can't be of coincedence.

And my last proof, although this one is questionable, is that in Yoshi's Tropical Island in Mario Party, there's a Blue Yoshi and a Pink Yoshi. Those are odd colors to choose, since they represent boy and girl colors. And if you look closely during the end sequence, there's a difference between the appearance of both the Blue Yoshi and the Pink Yoshi. I can't tell if I'm seeing things, but it looks like the Pink Yoshi has eyelashes. I'll be sure to double-check on that.

Also note how the Pink Yoshi on that game board in Mario Party looks like it has hair or something when you're playing on the board. I still can't tell what it is, but it looks like purple hair.

So tell me what you think, if you think that I have finally solved this issue, or if you have any info that goes against it.

May Yoshi live long and prosper...
Oh, and may PenguinWizard have the same treatment.
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2001, 11:22:23 PM »
Sounds logical to me.  I never really doubted that there were female Yoshies.  
--Roy Koopa
--Oldest and coolest of the Seven Koopa Kids!

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2001, 07:14:28 AM »
I never doubted the idea either, but a few years back, I met some website based on the then-upcoming Yoshi's Story where the guy asked if there were female Yoshies out there. I know that there's a few other sites that have been debating over this, thinking Yoshi is half and half, and one site thought Yoshies only had one gender.

I'll be sure to reply back as soon as I finish that Yoshi's Tropical Island board on Mario Party sometime later today.

You didn't say wot wot.

Andrevan

• Plumber's Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2001, 05:07:55 PM »
All right, let's assume there are female Yoshies. In Paper Mario, there are 5 different colors of Yoshies (excluding the Village Leader and his advisor). For each color, there is a Yoshi kid and a Yoshi parent. Now, all the kids are obviously boys. Now, the question is: what are the genders of the parents? And where are the other genders? I think that the YI Player's Guide just messed up a little bit and Yoshies are all hermaphodrites. They use 'he' as a pronoun.

--Andrevan
~The Nintendo King~
Andrevan@aol.com

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2001, 06:54:01 PM »
It's hard to determine what gender a Yoshi would be because they all look the same save for color. And as we know, color doesn't really determine what gender a Yoshi is.

Because I have not got up to the Yoshi island in Paper Mario yet (i don't even own it right now), I wouldn't really know. And I bet all the Yoshi sounds do sound the same.

However, even although Nintendo makes typos (a lot of them for a professional company), they have been suspicious lately. Besides keeping quiet with the GameCube. They always slip in little mystery things here and there, and I think that there's more to it than just coincedences.

As for the hermaphrodite thing, that idea seems very possible. And they have both male and female characteristics (male for the voice, female for the egg laying thing). But the idea that there could be two genders have been hinted at in one way or another a few times.

Anyway, I'm going to start a Mario Party game, set everybody to computer (even at Hard they're losers), then wait an hour for the results. I'll tell you what I end up seeing once it finishes.

You didn't say wot wot.

David

• Trusts the fungus
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2001, 07:18:08 PM »
Yes, there are female Yoshies. The whole egg-laying thing by male Yoshies is weird, but not completely unexplainable. After all, most Yoshi eggs seem to be refuse, and not for hatching, right?

Let's do the Mario, all together now!

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2001, 07:53:30 PM »

Okay, results are in.

Yes, I was wrong. The pink yoshi does not have hair (it was just the lighting), and the pink yoshi does not have eyelashes (it was just that the eye line was thick to make it look like it).

but still, don't you think it's suspicious how in Yoshi's Tropical Island in Mario Party, there's a blue yoshi and a pink yoshi? some odd colors to choose, developers of Mario Party!

yeah, i kind of figured female yoshies existed. but you can't really tell them apart in any way, and it doesn't seem to be much of an issue.

It''s hard to save the world when you''re a penguin in wizard clothing.
You didn't say wot wot.

Andrevan

• Plumber's Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2001, 11:38:49 AM »
I wondered about the egg-laying thing too, but I think it's like any other egg. Take this example: You have a chicken egg. If you boil it, it won't hatch. If you incubate it, it will hatch! I would think this would be obvious. With the exception of the follow example, and perhaps others (read below), it seems that Yoshies are hermaphrodites.

And about the pink/blue color thing - hasn't anyone noticed Nintendo's inconsistency with storylines and facts from game-to-game? Think about the Zelda series, or the Kirby games! My guess is that Mario Party was one of those infernal storyline inconsistencies. And it was developed by Hudson, after all, not an in-house development group like EAD or NCL.

--Andrevan
~The Nintendo King~
Andrevan@aol.com

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2001, 12:11:44 PM »
No, I don't believe that the eyelashes are just a lighting illusion, they appear on her in every angle she stands in, and yet not on either of the males. As for the adults on Lavalava island, they are all males (Goombario refers to them all as "he's"), however, the wive (considering that they are decent enough to get married before having children) are off doing errands or having a girls day out or something to that effect, or they are possibly at home (notice how there aren't any houses around for them to live in, not including the Toad House and shop).
As for telling them apart, I can't really think of a way (other than the one in MP) since they have no visible differences.

Andrevan

• Plumber's Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2001, 12:06:10 PM »
Tenchi - I think that it's rather odd that they can be on a perpetual shopping spree! Even at the end of the game, all you see are the kids and their single parents!

--Andrevan
~The Nintendo King~
Andrevan@aol.com

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2001, 04:22:24 PM »
Tenchi, if there are any Yoshies in Paper Mario that look different from the rest (i.e. like that female Koopaling with the thing on her head), try to find a way so I can see a screenshot of it.

There's just something about seeing Yoshies look different from normal that I just can't bear to miss, probably because it would signal that Nintendo is trying something new with the species (like with the Goombas).

You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2001, 08:30:51 PM »
Man its been aloooooong time since Ive been here, well I had a talk with Yoshi about this topic and heres what he had to say:

Yoshi, yoshi yoshi yooooshi,  Then he walked off with his girlfriend, a pink yoshi with long eyelashes, and I havent seen him since.
It's-a me, Marionut#1!

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2001, 09:40:25 PM »
If that was true, I'd love to shove that in Nintendo's face and have them give a respectable answer instead of their usual "Shy Guy uses velcro" excuses.

I remember one person writing in to Nintendo Power that had a topic on Yoshi. I forget what the topic was about, I think it had something to do with Yoshi being abused by Mario constantly hitting his head to make him lash out his tongue in Super Mario World (at least, that's what it looked like to him).

But Nintendo replied with the stupid response of something along the lines of Editor Note: Yoshi ate the letter.

Now that's a pathetic excuse for one of the most popular companies around, if not the most popular. Well, ok, so IGN used to be even more pathetic, but only because the Matt Cassamina and GameCube Masta jokes were funny.

You didn't say wot wot.

Andrevan

• Plumber's Apprentice
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2001, 09:58:59 AM »
I'm going to try to dig up some Yoshi pics, and I'll tell you if they look female.

--Andrevan
~The Nintendo King~
Andrevan@aol.com

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2001, 10:19:48 AM »
Actually, even if they don't look female, be sure to tell me about the websites that have the Yoshi art that you're searching at.

Because I have a thing for Yoshies, I'm not going to pass up any art.

Just don't try looking at Luna's Yoshi Sanctuary or anything, because they obviously have female Yoshi pictures, and that's not what I'm looking for. I'm more in the way of looking for official pictures that look female.

A good place to start is just look for any Pink or White Yoshi pictures.
You didn't say wot wot.

Print