Print

Author Topic: The ever changing castle  (Read 2235 times)

« on: July 17, 2000, 03:10:17 PM »
Have you noticed that in Mario Kart 64, Peach's castle looks different then in SM64? Okay, not the castle itself, but what surrounds the castle like the trees, birds, butterflies, moat, path, and waterfall. The trees, birds, butterflies, and waterfall aren't in MK64, you can't see through the moat, and the path that leads to the castle from Royal Raceway isn't in SM64. I have a theory, first the trees, birds, and butterflies. While Mario and Peach were eating cake, Wario came to the castle (after eating many bean beritos) and "let one out", causing the trees, birds, and butterflies to be blown away. For the moat, that's easy, Bowser had to go to the bathroom bad and, well, you could guess the rest. The waterfall, well, after SM64, all the coureses were blocked off including the metal cap swith area. If you played SM64, you know that when Mario exit the metal cap switch area, Mario falls out of the waterfall, and when the metal cap area was blocked off, so was the waterfall. And finally, the path. The pipe that leads to the castle was cloged, so they made the path. Hope that explains it. Oh, and if anyone replies(I hope they do), please don't say anything about SM64 coming before MK64 or about MK64 being a canon game. Thank You.

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2000, 11:24:30 PM »
There are often inconsistencies from one game to another. Does the castle look the same in "Super Mario 64" as in "Super Mario R.P.G.?"  How about Bowser's drastic metamorphosis between "Super Mario Bros. 3" and "Super Mario World?"  Some of these are done for definite reasons ("Super Mariokart 64" needed obstacles the scenery in "Super Mario 64" couldn't provide, it would take up too much memory space to picture clear water in the racetrack...) some are because new artists decide they want to change things (Luigi's costume change, Morton Koopa turning green, the new look to Yoshi's Island in "Super Mario World 2"...) and some just seem to be just because the makers forgot (the Desert changing names twice).  The poor continuity bugs me, too, but sometimes it's neccessary.

BTW-Your explanation for the moat's opaqueness got me thinking, the Mushroom Palace in "Super Mario 64" doesn't seem to have a bathroom (although there it what looks like a sewer underneath).  Doesn't Peach ever have to pee?  Or maybe she wears Toad-style diapers under her dress.  I know, I take this stuff way too seriously.  I've been at this forum too long.

: )
Mega 2
Cybernetic Abiogenesis Project

Print