Poll

Should people be allowed to pronounce it with an "ah"?

Yes. Freedom of speech or something.
1 (7.1%)
No. Violators should be publicly lynched.
2 (14.3%)
This is stupid.
11 (78.6%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Print

Author Topic: Nevada considers legalizing pronunciation  (Read 10360 times)

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« on: August 24, 2010, 02:28:53 PM »
Link

Most Nevadans get really miffed when you pronounce it "Ne-vah-duh" instead of "Ne-va-duh" apparently. An outgoing Democrat assemblyman, however, has proposed legalizing both pronunciations, to be more tolerant of Spanish-speakers.

IS THIS POLITICAL CORRECTNESS RUN AMOK??????????/ YOU DECIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!eleven
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 02:33:06 PM »
The only thing I have to say to this is "what the... ?"
That was a joke.

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 02:40:08 PM »
Don't confuse "legalizing" something with "making it not illegal". People aren't currently getting arrested for pronouncing it wrong. All this bill would do is create a piece of paper (legal document) saying "both pronunciations are okay. neener neener." Absolutely no one would change how they personally pronounce it.

i.e., This is stupid.

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 03:08:56 PM »
I voted no because "ne-vah-da" sounds retarded.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 04:46:38 PM »
This is not stupid.

This is very stupid.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 05:15:11 PM »
I don't understand the difference between "va" and "vah." Does the first one have a long A or something?

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 05:28:28 PM »
I pronounce it "navahda". Stupid? I think not. Stupid for trying to shred the constitution and our freedoms one step further? Yes; they will be crushed for attempting such stupidity.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 05:39:22 PM by nensondubois »
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 05:36:31 PM »
Ni-Vah-Dah

There's no difference between this pronunciation and the one they're suggesting.

This iS SPARTA is extremely stupid.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 05:47:36 PM »
Also, if I can put up with "Delawhere?" jokes, then Nevadans have nothing to whine about.

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 06:15:54 PM »
I don't understand the difference between "va" and "vah." Does the first one have a long A or something?

The "a" in "va" is like it is in "cat", while the "a" in "vah" is like it is in "straw" or "huzzah". "Ah" is used homonymously with "aw" in this case. What ****es Nevadans off is when people pronounce it as "Ne-vaw-duh".
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 08:01:35 PM »
I pronounce it "navahda". Stupid? I think not. Stupid for trying to shred the constitution and our freedoms one step further? Yes; they will be crushed for attempting such stupidity.
...uh? How is this "shredding our freedoms"? The proposed bill would make it cool to say it either way, instead of just the one way. That's like more freedoms.

Especially since you're one of the people who pronounce it wrong.

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 08:33:48 PM »
The "a" in "va" is like it is in "cat", while the "a" in "vah" is like it is in "straw" or "huzzah". "Ah" is used homonymously with "aw" in this case. What ****es Nevadans off is when people pronounce it as "Ne-vaw-duh".

Wait... you're from Canada.
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 10:56:38 PM »
The Grammar Nazi Party's pronunciation wing no longer has a grip on Nevadian politics it seems.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 11:00:51 PM by PaperLuigi »
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2010, 11:42:31 PM »
Are there really people from Nevada who get annoyed when mispronouncing the name of the state (by the way, I say it neh-va-dah instead of neh-vah-dah)? Isn't there something more important they could be focusing on? Why do you need to pass legislation on how to pronounce something?

It's stupid, it's of next to no consequence, and this isn't even a situation where a mispronunciation would make something sound naughty. Why does anyone care about this?

Better to spend your time complaining about how Michael Rosen pronounces "tomato".
You didn't say wot wot.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2010, 02:01:09 AM »
I mean, I've always thought it was weird when people said Nevodda instead of the correct Nevada* but anyway

*with the a as in "add"
That was a joke.

Print