Print

Author Topic: Ever had any REAL close calls in Mario games?  (Read 3827 times)

« on: June 20, 2000, 03:29:46 PM »
If you haven't ever played Super Mario Bros., then you don't know what a close call is. You know those superlong jumps in 8-1? One time I barely made it over that one pit next to a pipe where you have to run over some pits to make the jump. I thought I was going to fall down at the end, but landed on the side of the ground and jumped to safety! Then there's the time you weren't expecting all of those hammer brothers in 8-3 and somehow magically jumped through their hammers... Oh! and one time I was playing SMB3 and I was in that water level with all those electric fish. Had the game not slowed down to a crawl, I wouldn't have made it! Then there's always those times you seemed to jump THROUGH a Lakitu. One time I was playing SMB DX, and I was having so many close calls that when I paused the game for a breath I was shaking and trembling! Have you ever had any REAL close calls like these in Mario games? Please share them with us!

-YOSHI :P
Woohoo.

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2000, 07:26:17 PM »
One time, I was playing SMRPG before I moved down to FLorida, I was trying to beat Yardovitch.  My magci button was disabled, and Geno was going to attack.  All of my charecters had low HP, with out any Pick Me ups or Mushrooms.  He attacked, and it had enought power to kill him.

That was so close. Then I had to pack. That was 1998, it's 2000, and I'm trying to beat Simithy.

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2000, 09:05:02 PM »
Yeah I had alot of em.  One time in Luigi's Raceway I was just a tad bit behind my brother on the third lap at the end.  My brother was on the flat strip before the goal and his controller froze up for a few seconds giving me a chance to zip through.  And then lots of time in Super Mario Bros I fall in a hole but land on an (invisible ledge) that catches me and lets me jump out.  Really weird and happens at many spots.

I'm better than my brother and SMK64.  One day I put a handicap on myself.   I left him get a lap ahead.  Then I  started racing and beat him yet I was a lap behind.  And he aint that bad at SMK64.  Just not as good as me.  It was so cool though.  Took me like 30 trys but then I one.

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2000, 11:53:40 AM »
I've had weird experiences with invisible platforms, too, but they usually kill me.  Like, once I was playing "Lost Levels" and I hit a Koopa Paratroopa and it fell to the bottom of the screen, but kept strutting from side to side, so I figured there was solid ground there.  I was jumping between pipes and the next one had a Piranha Plant in it so rather than risk getting shrunk, I dropped down to the platform the Koopa was walking on.  It turned out it was a glitch, and the Koopa continued walking on thin air while I plummeted beyond the invisible platform to my death.  A lot of the time glitches kill me, especially in the original "Super Mario Bros."
Mega 2
Cybernetic Abiogenesis Project

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2000, 02:18:39 PM »
Velvet, that's Bowyer with the button thingie. Yarid's the one that can kill your team with one Water Blast on his first turn.
Kamehameha!

Print