Print

Author Topic: Memories of a golden path via Mario  (Read 1954 times)

« on: August 20, 2002, 08:06:40 AM »
Do you ever think about the past?  Of the Mario games that you were playing long ago, and you had never beaten them before, and new surprises.  I remember on my 11th birthday, when I first got SMRPG.  It took me forever to get to Mushroom Way, and since I didn't know squat about RPGs, I didn't level up, and kept losing against the hammer bros.  When I finally beat them, I remember facing Croco countless times, and even getting to level 5 before I fought him.  I remember how many times I had to go through the wedding sequence cause I kept losing to Bundt.  I remember struggling to beat Exor, and buying several pick-me-ups to face Smithy.  SMRPG was probably the best Mario game I played, and I had so much fun going through it the first time.  Like the Sunken Ship: I could not figure out that password!  I tried letter combos, asking my parents, teachers, everything.  And I finally looked it up on the net.  I loved this.  I was so into the game that I drew pictures of Mallow in school, and even designed my own Super Mario RPG cards.  I would talk to my friends about my adventures throughout the game, since they never played it, and had such a blast going through it.  I still love the game, I must admit, but it will never be the same feeling going through it as it was the first time I played it.

Thank you!

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2002, 09:23:39 AM »
I understand how you feel, man. For me it was the first real videogame I had on my very first system: The Super Mario/Duck Hunt combo on the NES. Yes, the game was pretty straightforward, but there was something about playing through it for the first time. It began my still strong liking for gaming. I remember when I first faced Bowser (little did I know then that it wasn't the real Bowser) in world 1-4. My palms actually got sweaty because I was facing an enemy who's weakness *wasn't* being stomped on. Then, when I realized I had to run under him and jump that axe....that was something. I felt like I could take the game on and not break a sweat....er, again. The levels kept on coming and the enemies became more challenging, but the fact that it was the first time I had ever played it produced a "dumb luck" that enabled me to marvel at the then advanced 8-bit graphics.

We all have a game that we struggled with that pretty much made us realize that videogames are more than hand-candy (yes, I know that sounds VERY wrong). Some people don't understand how these games can be challenging and that it takes hand eye coordination, adequate judgement, and the ability to take chances to truly succeed. Of course, there is a limit to this and by no means do I want to infer that I think videogames = life. It doesn't by a long shot. What I'm trying to say is that some people may think it lame to talk about videogames as fond memories, but they do evoke emotions and actual thinking; they do so enough to deserve the occasional "flashback."

....or maybe I'm just a sentimental fool.

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2002, 09:39:14 AM »
Or, you could just go right up to the screen, and have the gun actually touching the image of the duck while you pull the trigger.

-------
The Vatican rules can not be changed. So sayeth the spider.
-Queen Spider

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2002, 10:45:58 PM »
I think that wouldn't even work. The pixels on the screen would whow up weird that close. But that's just speculation, as I've never tried it myself.

"Tonight, I`ll make an old family recipe. Pickled dandelions with barnacles in a diesel marinade!" - Prof. E. Gadd
That was a joke.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2002, 10:51:32 PM »
I remember when I didn't have any game systems. I had only a small chance every now and then to play. It truly is a unique experience the first time you play something or when you play something that you aren't able to very much... I think I'll feel this way when I get SMS, much the same way when I got Luigi's Mansion. When the anticipation builds until you finally get to play, and it's just ...great!

"Tonight, I`ll make an old family recipe. Pickled dandelions with barnacles in a diesel marinade!" - Prof. E. Gadd
That was a joke.

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2002, 08:03:27 AM »
I remember my bro getting me into NES, and SMB3 became my favourite game, and I loved it so much, that I couldn't stop playing it, and was so addicted that I drew picture after picture after picture.  In fact, the other day I took out my old binder and saw all the Mario pictures I drew as a kid, the pile is really thick, and the pics aren't exactly eye candy either.  But, these days can't be forgotten.  Because my mom didn't let me play whenever I wanted.

But my very first was a GameBoy.  I used to play Super Mario Land till my hands got numb and my neck got sore, and when I got Super Mario Land 2 for christmas one year.  I remember just opening the package, seeing the game and a big smile grow on my face.  I was extremely joyous, shouting "Can I play!?"  But before, I used to use my sister's barbi suitcase and pretend I had an NES, after renting it.  I was so addicted!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2002, 10:33:17 PM »
I once made a paper SNES. It was really small, and completely hollow. I think I had a cardboard MarioPaint cartridge... but for some reason, it was almost as good as the real thing.

That was a joke.

Print