Print

Author Topic: MARIO CCG (or TCG... whatever you want to call it)  (Read 5355 times)

« on: August 26, 2002, 09:19:43 PM »
I think it would be really great if there was a Mario CCG (customizable card game). This would definitely sell, and it would be really fun to play a game in the Mushroom World.

You could choose from many premade characters (like Mario, Bowser, Toad, Koopa the Quick, etc.) or make your own within specified guidelines (but there couldn't be two Marios or two Toads in a single card game).

After you have a character you start at a specified place (it would say on your card. For example, Mario would start at the Mushroom Kingdom) you go out and try to either destroy your opponent ,or complete some other special objective that would differ according to what character you have.

There would be powerup cards that you could find (like fire flowers, star men, mushrooms, etc.) and allies that you could recruit (goombas, mushroom people, koopas, thwomps, etc.) in your quest.

There would be lots of other kinds of cards too. I can't really think of any though. Anybody who has played Magic: the Gathering might have an idea of the number of card types there might be.

This game would have to be a really high quality game though with a lot of effort put into the designing of it. (not like pokemon or something). Tell me what you think!

-Gryphon

Edited by - GoombaDoom on 8/26/2002 8:29:26 PM
We should all follow Mario''s lead and ditch the plumbing business in favor of adventurous lives in a land full of mushrooms.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2002, 09:21:32 PM »
Bravo!
I'll pretend like I don't know you. Heh.

"Tonight, I`ll make an old family recipe. Pickled dandelions with barnacles in a diesel marinade!" - Prof. E. Gadd
That was a joke.

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2002, 05:23:47 PM »
SWEET Idea! I have thought about that too.  I mean, think of all the characters you could have (the basics like Mario, Luigi).  There could be Goombas, Koopa Troopas, and Chargic Chucks... And powerups (Mushrooms, Fire Balls) and all sorts of neat stuff. And you are right, it would sell!
 n/a

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2002, 04:47:55 PM »
Hey, I had a similar idea before.  :)  back in 1994 when Magic was just invented (****!)

Head here  http://www.ccgworkshop.com/  to download a cool program that lets you play online (for FREE) a few CCGs that are no longer supported by their creators, like DoomTrooper, MagiNation or Battletech.   This is like emulation for videogames! (just it's fully legal since game creators gave their permission to the project)
 At the moment the tool is still in beta testing, but in the future anyone will be able to make their own card games!!!

I'm already trying to design this Mario CCG thing... stay tuned!

It's-a penalty kick!

Cele the Ref

Edited by - CeleTheRef on 8/30/2002 3:56:16 PM

Cele the Ref

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2002, 06:26:18 PM »
Wow, that's really cool! If you want any help with it just let me know. My email is Deergoose5000@aol.com. I might not be able to get the program though because I have a mac   :(  . I'll check after I write this.

-Gryphon
We should all follow Mario''s lead and ditch the plumbing business in favor of adventurous lives in a land full of mushrooms.

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2002, 08:49:20 PM »
Heh heh heh... Gullible children will be the one who'll want this. Just like Pokemon cards. Just make sure you charge a teensie price at the begining, and then jack the price up!(This works well around Christmas time!)

Beep!
Login:
User Name: Super Mario 123187
Password:******
Signature: Lets-a go!!!!
He who fills his pockets with the rocks of misdeeds shall surely sink in the River of Good Fortune!

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2002, 10:34:41 PM »
Yeah, but it would also have to be good enough for serious Mario fans and gamers to play. Pokemon is just ridiculous! Have you ever played that? Every other card is "Flip a coin, and this attack does that much damage times 10 to the other pokemon." There is no room for strategy in a game like that. The Mario card game should be the kid-appealing thing that is is, but also a fun and well-balanced game that older gamers can enjoy.

I have already made up a couple of cards and drawn them out with stats and everything. If you want to see them (this is to the guy that told me about ccgworkshop) I can email the scanned images to you.

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2002, 10:36:47 PM »
Yeah, but it would also have to be good enough for serious Mario fans and gamers to play. Pokemon is just ridiculous! Have you ever played that? Every other card is "Flip a coin, and this attack does that much damage times 10 to the other pokemon." There is no room for strategy in a game like that. The Mario card game should be the kid-appealing thing that is is, but also a fun and well-balanced game that older gamers can enjoy.

I have already made up a couple of cards and drawn them out with stats and everything. If you want to see them (this is to the guy that told me about ccgworkshop) I can email the scanned images to you.

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2002, 04:06:14 PM »
Yes please, I'd like to receive those images. It's interesting to see how a "mario CCG card might look like"  (send them here please   celetheref@inwind.it  )

Actually I'm quite ahead on designing.  I'm thinking at Magic-like mechanics with a few mechanics grabbed from other games.

This game doesn't have a true story. Well, you can't expect much of it from a Mario-related game!  You are an Avid Mario Gamer who is having an argument with one or more Avid Mario Gamers. Your goal is teaching him/her a lesson by using Mario stuff against him/her.

The game looks like Magic: each player starts with some HP and has to defeat opponents by driving their HP down to zero.
To do so, they may hire various beings (from Mario himself to humble Goombas) to attack opponents or to block attacking beings.  Other cards are used to influence the outcome of the game.  To play cards you'll need Coins ($) and Flower Points (FP) which are earned by using cards that provide such resources (something like Lands but not so boring).

points of strenght:

-there is no tapping. This semplifies things a lot. Some effects say "play once in ur turn".

-there is no manaburn. You collect your resoruce every turn and you can store them until used.

-NO TIMING! when you play a card or an effect it resolves RIGHT NOW, unless another card says that it can be used in response of another card

-combat system will use the even/odd system.  I'll explain that later.  Players will never be sure how a combat will end, but sending a Goomba against Bowser is never a good bet.

other posts will follow soon... hope one day we can really enjoy playing this game online...

Cele the Ref

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2002, 09:29:30 PM »
Don't dis Pokémon CCG, the use of Pokémon Powers (effects that start when the Pokémon is put into play) can make for some pretty tricky strategies. Nothing like Magic, I'm sure, but still enough to baffle a 7-year-old. The only problem with a Mario CCG would be the balance of power for the main characters. Surely everyone would want Mario, Bowser and the like in their deck, so they couldn't be too pitiful or too all-powerful.

"Like the moon over
 the day, my genius and brawn
 are lost on these fools."
       -Bowser, SMRPG

Sometimes I dream about being carried off by a giant squirrel...Does that make me a nut?
Sometimes I dream about being carried off by a giant squirrel...Does that make me a nut?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2002, 09:38:12 PM »
Well, that may be an online evolution of the game, but unless GoombaDoom says otherwise, the original idea is hereby copyrighted by us. (Him & me.) The concept that you put forth right now, is for one, too unoriginal, and we have some ideas of our own on the matter. So that's fine if you're gonna do it online (maybe) but a physical version, at least, will be more original.

"Tonight, I`ll make an old family recipe. Pickled dandelions with barnacles in a diesel marinade!" - Prof. E. Gadd
That was a joke.

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2002, 09:46:28 PM »
Well, yeah of course everyone would want to be Mario, but what would make the game great is bringing out the underdog Mario characters (wooster, bowyer, punchinello, booster, mack, koopa the quick... that one really big bob-omb with the crown in Mario 64). the possibilities go on and on and increase with every Mario game that is released. (thank god for the mariopedia. that will be needed).

And the game would be designed so that some of those characters would be more powerful than Mario, not necessarily in strength but they would have other strengths that would make them a formidable opponent for Mario or even Bowser. Like, for example: Bowyer would have an ability where he could shut down opponents abilities for that turn, or maybe even several turns. He would be somewhat weak in other aspects, but using that ability every turn could shut down his opponent's Magikoopas or his Mushroom Archers. The only downside with Bowyer would be that he has to sacrifice arrows (these would be like his goombas. His 1st level units) every time he uses the ability.

What I'm getting at here is that sure, Mario would be a hot pick among players, but for those who want to do something new, there will be plenty of other powerful characters available.

And don't get me wrong, Pokemon has greatness on some levels. I used to play it actually, and I have a 1st edition charizard hidden away in my card collection. I mainly dislike that there is so much coin-flipping involved.

Ok, I'll get those pictures sent to you eventually. I have to go hepl my dad wth something right now, but I have them scanned in and everything. Gotta go.

-Gryphon

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2002, 03:19:46 PM »
Here's the basics of the game:

every player takes the role of a Mario games fan, who is having a dispute with other Mario games fans to find out who's the best at making war with Mario stuff.  Each player stars with 20HP (topped at 20). The goal is to drive opponents down to zero HP.  To put cards into play you need $ (coins) and FP (Flower Points, generally rarer than coins).  Those are gained by cards that give you some. Points can be stored until used and there is no top to them.  Every card has a deploying cost you must pay to play the card (If a card costs $6  FP 5 then you need to spend 6 coins and 5 flower points in order to play it)  To make the game easier to learn there are only 3 kinds of cards:

Creatures (I know, that sounds like Magic.  But Beings sounds like Kult and Warriors sound like DoomTrooper)  they are the guys you can use to attack your opponents or to defend from attacks.  There are two main types of Creatures:  Carachters are the most known people like Mario, Luigi, Bowser etc.  while Troops are all other humble-but-good beings, ranging from Goombas to Yoshies.  Every Creature has three stats:  HP are the hit points they are equiped with when they enter in play. Counters will be used to mark how many HP they have left.  ATT (attack) is the max ammount of damage the creature may do during combat and DEF(defence) is the max ammount of damage the creature may sustain ini a combat before losing HPs.  Some skills are also present, like flying, first strike and the ability of hitting outside combats(still have to find a name for this).

ITEMS
Those are permanent cards (they stay in play until destroyed by other cards) that give you various advantages.  Some of them are to be attached to Creatures: if the Creature is destroyed, so is the Item attached to it.

EVENTS: This kind of card covers (almost) anything could occour in a Mario-style fight (from falling in a pit to stealing opponent's creatures).  If the Event is Quick then it's one-shot  (discarded after use)  if it's Standing, then it's permanent (like Items and Creatures)

I suck at making art/graphic stuff so a lot of help will be needed for that, if the game even hits the online "shelves"  (don't worry it will be free)

29 card texts made so far.

Other posts will follow.

Cele the Ref

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2002, 08:41:29 PM »
OK, hold it -
Question. Were you making this game before we came up with it?
Statement. Sure, whatever, make this game for online, but really, I had some ides myself, and you just thinking you have ultimate control over it all is just wrong. That is, unless you were already working on it before this topic was posted. Anyway, GoombaDoom and I will be working on a different one, regardless of your plans. Thank you, that is all.

That was a joke.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2002, 11:53:35 PM »
Also, GoombaDoom and I are working on a separate project, which I think we might call Super Mario CCG (sounds familiar, eh?) and anyway, it's way different from CeleTheRef's idea. I'll post a link to a page with some examples tomorrow or something. It's got lots of ORIGINAL ideas in it.

That was a joke.

Print