Print

Author Topic: Super Mario Sunshine's sales dissapointing?  (Read 4325 times)

« on: December 23, 2002, 09:18:36 PM »
I was watching G4, an all video game network, and they were talking about how disappointing the sales for SMS was. Odd huh, it sold 1,000,000 copies.
I ignored the rules about signatures, therefore I am most likely a spam account.

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2002, 09:44:48 PM »
Well, let's see. Here is my explanation for why SMS didn't sell as well as it should (Though 1 million copies isn't THAT bad...)

There are genereally 2 waves of gamers in the world. The first wave, which grew up with the NES and SNES (Like me), and the 2nd wave, gamers that are growing up right now with the PS2, GCN, and XBox. Mario was a big deal with the 1st wave gamers, as were other game mascots like Sonic. Eventually, these first wave gamers grew up. (I turned 16 last week). Problem here being that these first wave gamers are now more "mature" (Though if you look at my high school swimming team, many of the members are hardly as mature as a 7 or 8 year old.), they don't really want to play games with "Sunshine" in the title on a purple system... (Shallow, but it seems to be the concensus of much of my class) There are a few gamers like me and many of you that didn't forget about how fun Mario is, but a good deal of them (Me, for instance) are deterred by these others who deem the GCN and everything associated with it "childish" or even "gay". This first wave? They now play games like Halo or GTA: Vice City or, for those who actually OWN a GCN, Metroid Prime.

This 2nd wave of gamers (Those that are about 6-9 right now) was the age group targeted by Nintendo with the GCN. The problem is, the time between SMS and the last "real" Mario game (SM64) was so vast that few remember Mario. And thus, this game, though mostly bought by this 2nd wave, was not nearly as successful as it rightfully should have been.

I chalk it up to 2 factors:

1. Nintendo's poor marketing strategy (Why SUNSHINE??? Or purple? Don't they see that the mostly shallow population of first wave gamers think words or colors like that are gay? And don't even get me started on the handle...) which prevented Mario and the GCN from becoming was it could have been.

2. The overall dematurity of the First wave generation (Most of them, anyway) which ironicly, came with them "growing up". Amusing.

Don't take offense to this. Most people my age who still play Mario are far more mature than most people who dismiss Mario as childish and instead play more "Mature" games like GTA. Those are the idiots that get thrown in jail and that get shot before they are 30.

I could go on, but everything following this line would be a tyrade on our generation, so I'll quit here to avoid damaging my tenure here.

I don`t suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
~I.S.~

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2002, 09:54:41 PM »
I am a wave 1 child! Woo Hoo! I can remember the good old days...... Ahhh..... Super Mario Bros was my favorite. I just beat only a few years ago! Then the SNES was born, and I began to have a hatred for anything with a SEGA logo on it.(I hated their advertisments!) Now, with all of the neat-o keen systems and characters, I have stuck with (most) everybody's favorite fictional plumber! Now to get back on topic: I dont know why SMS hasn't had a great selling rate. Is it 'cause of the fact that the Mario Bros have gone from plumbers to janitors?
He who fills his pockets with the rocks of misdeeds shall surely sink in the River of Good Fortune!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2002, 11:55:54 PM »
It's because you clicked the button three times.
And SMS's sales are disappointing? Who says?
Anyway, I am a wave one gamer, although I never had any systems till about four years ago. At any rate, GCN is the best system ever because SFA is the best game ever. But that's just my opinion.
Metroid Prime is okay, but it is far less intelligent than SMS or SFA, or even Animal Crossing (which seems to be pretty intelligent anyway).
My determination is that most of the "mature" wave one gamers aren't intelligent enough to play good games like SFA, SMS and AC. (Not to mention a lot of other first-party GCN games.)
My 'cube is purple, and I'm proud of it.

"Thus has it ever been! Thus shall it ever be!"
That was a joke.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2002, 11:57:36 PM »
Oh yeah. I turned 16 three weeks ago. HA!
Okay... so that's no big deal... but it seems that I am one of the oldest 16 year old people here. Okay, that was stupid.

"Nintendo's poor marketing strategy (Why SUNSHINE??? Or purple?)"
Marketing strategy? That's not a marketing strategy. It's just stuff that is good and people don't realize it. If people don't appreciate good taste, that's their problem.

"Thus has it ever been! Thus shall it ever be!"

Edited by - Chupperson Weird on 12/23/2002 10:00:38 PM
That was a joke.

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2002, 12:38:54 AM »
The reason why I think it did bad is because it was not a mario game, it is a fludd game. Why nintendo started this weird trend of putting some machine on Mario or Luigi's back I don't know. The funnest levels were the ones where shadow mario steals your jet pack and you have to go through thoes cool obstacle courses.
I ignored the rules about signatures, therefore I am most likely a spam account.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2002, 12:43:43 AM »
Well now sonny, I wouldn't say that...
That was a joke.

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2002, 08:52:28 PM »
I think the whole dynamic just needs a few more screechy fans who don't mind taking the kiddy route. Take me for example; thanks to my random "Play this game, it rocks and I won't stop whining until I have someone to talk about it with!" rants, the people I associate with play the GTA series AND Mario Sunshine. All breeds of gamer can live in harmony, with a little effort. And you know, maybe this new generation needs us old-timers to teach them the ways. It's a shame we can't just plant ourselves in malls with NESes and SNESes, huh?

"Like the moon over
 the day, my genius and brawn
 are lost on these fools."
       -Bowser, SMRPG

Sometimes I dream about being carried off by a giant squirrel...Does that make me a nut?
Sometimes I dream about being carried off by a giant squirrel...Does that make me a nut?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2002, 10:17:33 PM »
I wouldn't go quite that far, but...
Enough with all that Pokemon junk is what I say.
But yeah... I recently convinced somebody at an EB Games store to get SFA... so missionary work for Nintendo pays off... heh
I think SMS and SFA rock way more than GTA... but as long as people play good stuff as well as that useless junk... I don't mind. Heheh.

Edited by - Chupperson Weird on 12/25/2002 8:20:01 PM
That was a joke.

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2002, 07:31:31 PM »
Not all GCN are purple, I got a black one, and there is silver one now.

L is real 2041!
Don''t argue with an idiot. They will take you to their level and beat you with experience.

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2002, 11:21:28 PM »
Well, what you all don't realise is how absolutely SHALLOW my class is.

They can't get along. People with different tastes there insult each other. They don't get along. The class consensus is that a game needs a M rating (Or be sports-related)and awesome graphics to be good.

To show just how shallow my class is, here's a poll taken for the yearbook.

What is the most important thing to you when buying a video game?

Graphics - 35%
Enjoyment - 33%
Value/Cost - 12%
Other - 20%

Yep. GRAPHICS BEAT OUT ENJOYMENT!!!!

WHAT THE HELL IS THAT???????????????????????????

I mean, that is as shallow as it gets, right there. (I voted enjoyment. Duh.)

Well, what does this have to do with SMS? Well, shallow people tend to judge others by what they like, not by what they ARE like. (I should know. I am around them every day.) And they see people who own a GCN and play SMS (NOT RATED M, IN CASE YOU DIDN'T NOTICE)as "juvinile" or "gay". (Of course, these people have no right whatsoever to ever call ANYONE "juvinile".) NO. These people have different tastes. Just because they don't find enjoyment in GTA doesn't make them "gay".

However, 35% of my class seems to believe that. Pathetic.

In fact, that is the whole reason that I DON'T have a GCN. I'm not going to be forced to take crap from because of what I like. In fact, I don't tell hardly anyone at my school what I like:

Person: What kind of music do you like>
Steve: Well, (pause), anything that doesn't suck. Oh yea, and I HATE Destiny's Child. (Insert 2-5 minute tyrade explaining how much I hate them.)
Person: Well, what DO you like?
Steve: I don't know!

And so on. They then think I hate them because I am uncomfortable saying what kind of music I like. I won't even tell anyone on the forums here what music I like. All I am saying is that I hate Destiny's Child, that is all.

And what does this have to do with anything? It merely says that:

Not all people ALLOW gamers of all varieties to be friends.

I bet sales of SMS at the Target I go to are VERY low. Just because of everything I typed above.

Anyway, that must have been the most capital letters I have ever used in a post.

I'll stop now. Have to mess around with my TI-86 SMB3 level designer.

~I.S.~

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2002, 01:16:22 AM »
After all that, I won't even mention that you misspelled "juvenile". Whoops. :-P
I can scarcely believe that people think graphics are better than enjoyment... just goes to show that the whole concept of video games is lost on the majority of gamers today.

If people don`t appreciate good taste, that`s their own problem.
That was a joke.

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2002, 07:28:11 PM »
I just have to point this out. 35% isn't a majority. It is a plurality. Anyway, I can't believe Graphics could EVER beat out enjoyment either... but then again, my class is like none you'll ever see.

Another conversation (edited for content):

Idiot: So you DON'T like [FPSs]?
Steve: They bore the hell out of me.
Idiot: Oh my god. You're a gay f______.
Steve: That shows how shallow you are...
Idiot: Shut the f___ up, f___ing f______.
Steve: And you're a hypocrite too.
Idiot: I swear to f___ing God, I'm gonna f___ing kill you.
Steve: For not liking [FPSs]? What a stupid reason for violence.
Idiot: *Is about to punch me, but somehow checks himself* What a God d___ f_____.

Yep. I don't like First Person Shooters. I guess that makes me a "f___ing f_____".

Oh yes, this "Idiot" is someone on my swim team. I have to put up with him every day almost. Even sadder, he doesn't even try, and yet he is still faster than me in almost every event. That, and he openly steals from stores, and sells what he gets to people on the team for cheap. (I never bought anything.) I hope he gets shot and killed before he turns 21. He deserves it.

Before you go on, saying how I shouldn't be saying things like that, let me remind you: I have put up with far more crap from him than you've probably had to put up with from everyone you know combined.

~I.S.~

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2002, 10:41:38 PM »
Well, you're certainly right about that...
It's funny... I was at Space Camp in Florida this past year for 5 days and we talked a good deal about Video Games, and everyone there (except a few idiots who couldn't think of anything better to do than insult everyone in sight) thought GameCube was a good system... so I guess at least a good portion of people (that I've met, anyway) aren't as shallow as I first assumed... and yeah, you have a point. It's not the majority...
Hey, even this one guy whose Uncle works for Nintendo gave him a prelease copy of SFA (because it had been complete for months before it was released, due to the Rare fiasco) said it was real good...
That was a joke.

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2003, 01:48:34 AM »
Super Mario Sunshine is doing good in 2003.

Mom:Honey, what is that loud sound? Me:Uh, nothing, Mom! *goes back to smashing X-Box*
Deezer was here.

Print