Print

Author Topic: Is anyone else sick of all these glitches?  (Read 3984 times)

« on: July 17, 2000, 10:20:04 PM »
I was just playing "The Lost Levels" and There were all these glitches happening.  I decided to count how many killed me (I'm a pretty experienced gamer, and it's pretty tough to kill me), and I found out of 10 lives I lost, 7 were the direct result of game glitches.  And this was "Super Mario All-Stars" where they're supposed to have worked all the bugs out.  Is anyone else really tired of glitches and bugs in the older games interfering with play?
Mega 2
Cybernetic Abiogenesis Project

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2000, 10:39:57 PM »
Yeah, bugs in software gets to be a pain.
Maybe those bugs were the reason why Nintendo didn't release the Lost Levels in the U.S.  (Too hard for Americans, my foot!)  Some bugs can be exploited, though, and I guess that's good. : )

Not all bugs can be completely avoided, even by a company like Nintendo.  Also, some older games are becoming more and more buggy due to the deterioration of the boards inside each cartridge.  My Zelda II cart is barely playable, and it's probably 12 years old.  It is a pity that video games have such short lives...

"I wish that it need not to have happened during my time," said Frodo.
"So do I," said Gandalf. "And so do all who live to see such times.  But that is not for them to decide..."
Someone set up us the bomb!

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2000, 12:02:11 AM »
I agree, bugs are annoying. I haven't really experienced too many in Nintendo games, but Playstation games are notorious for bugs.
Cartridges deteriorating is annoying too!
Sometimes they can help though, like in Sonic Adventure, theres a bug so you can 'ride' the whale in emerald coast, which can allow you to get better times in the time attack....hmmmm a bit off topic there but I'm quite a big Sega fan. By the way, Hi, I'm Jonaskin. I'm new to this forum.

This victory strenthens the soul of Jonaskin!
-Soul Calibur, Sega Dreamcast.
Greatest fighting game ever.
This victory strenthens the soul of Jonaskin!
-Soul Calibur, Sega Dreamcast.
Greatest fighting game ever.

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2000, 11:17:50 AM »
How fast do carts deteriorate? Is there any way to slow down the process (now I'm getting paranoid! LOL)

~Heir to the Royal Throne, the Baker of Many Cakes, Kisser of Many Noses,Bimbo Supreme, and Crybaby Extroidinaire,Her Royal Highness, the Noble Princess Peach Toadstool~
~Heir to the Royal Throne, the Baker of Many Cakes, Kisser of Many Noses,Bimbo Supreme, and Crybaby Extroidinaire,Her Royal Highness, the Noble Princess Peach Toadstool~

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2000, 01:59:30 PM »
Unfortunately, I don't know of any ways to slow or stop cartridges from deteriorating... except maybe keeping them in a total vacuum and not exposing them to light or heat, but that would get expensive.

The only game preservation technique I know of is console emulation, which unfortunately leads to much piracy and illegal profits.  (I read that some lamer tried to sell 3 CDs worth of copyrighted games on eBay!)

->-"I wish that it need not to have happened during my time," said Frodo.
"So do I," said Gandalf. "And so do all who live to see such times.  But that is not for them to decide..."-<-

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2000, 02:16:20 PM »
The best way to go is to keep your games in a plastic case or something of that type and buy a cleaning kit for the games and the system.  I did that for my 10 year old(or older not sure) 8-Bit Nintendo and all the games of mine work like a cham.

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2000, 08:39:06 AM »
It's a must-have. If you think your cart is deteriorating, just clean it. You would not *_BELIEVE_* the dirt that comes off of those things. I have this old Wizards and Warriors cartridge that usually resulted with gibberish on the screen with some music, and now that it's clean, it works 80% of the time instead of 5%. Strangely enough, I haven't ever been warned of deteriorating carts, nor experienced any problems with them. (Laughs) Most of my friends 2600 carts even work.

-YOSHI :P
Woohoo.

David

• Trusts the fungus
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2000, 01:59:28 PM »
"Glitches" in SMAS? There really aren't any that would result in losing lives, as far as I can recall. Please explain the nature of the glitches.

Let's do the Mario, all together now!

http://codebook.stals.com
Let's do the Mario, all together now!

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2000, 10:55:39 AM »
Maybe its your cartrige, not actually the programmers mistakes, that is glitched. Me and my bro completely beat SMAS's Lost Levels and experienced asolutely no glitches.
Or mabey its your SNES. We had one of those new kinds. Or maybe its your head. (No offence intended)
If at first you dont succeed, skydiving is not for you.

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2000, 02:57:56 PM »
Has anyone ever experienced any problems with saving? I think the lithium battery in my SMAS cartridge may be dying off.
Woohoo.

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2000, 04:51:16 PM »
My old "Super Mario All-Stars" cartridge ceased to be able to save, that's why I bought this one.
Mega 2
Cybernetic Abiogenesis Project

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2000, 08:56:29 PM »
That reminds me!  Not to get off topic, but can you still get those little batteries replaced?  The NES and SNES are becoming ever older and out of date... I wondered if Nintendo still replaced batteries.

->-"I wish that it need not to have happened during my time," said Frodo.
"So do I," said Gandalf. "And so do all who live to see such times.  But that is not for them to decide..."-<-

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2000, 09:13:15 PM »
Edit and Wipeout: Aha! This message has been cancelled, look down at the next reply to see why.

"There are three kinds of people: Smart people and ignorant people."
  -Unknown

Edited by - Yoshi2 on 7/22/00 2:33:10 PM
Woohoo.

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2000, 03:43:48 PM »
NOTICE: Don't waste your time reading this. Move on to the next message.

Most of you probably remember me going nuts about batteries going dead and carts loosing their save capability... and that your only choice was to buy another used one that probably had a dead battery as well because they are no longer making new ones(classic carts). Well, I would just like to tell the world that I have replaced a battery myself. Yes, it took some doing, but it was worth it. My SMAS cartridge actually saves. I got it used, and I've never known what it's like to be able to continue a game. Well now I know what it's like, thanks to a couple tools and a CR2032 lithium battery. I was unable to find a 2/16 in. hex-head screwdriver with a small enough base to fit in the depressed area, so I had to use a makeshift tool. But I just wanted to tell you, it's possible. Now I don't have to wait until Monday to call back that repair place so that they can call Nintendo and ask how to replace it. Hee hee hee, I got it free.

"There are three kinds of people: Smart people and ignorant people."
  -Unknown
Woohoo.

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2000, 07:09:23 PM »
Bugs in games can be a good thing too.
They can add replayability.  They can make
the game a lot more interesting.  My favorite
example is in Zelda 4 for gameboy.  You can
hit select to warp all over the map and
underground.  You can make things appear in
the wrong tileset.  Best of all, you can
complete the game in any order you want!
Think about the negative world for a second.

Bugs, like anything, can be good or bad.

Print