Print

Author Topic: BEST AND WORST IN SERIES? Week 38: Console Mario Game  (Read 13100 times)

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2009, 04:52:42 PM »
Let me make clearer what I said before with one of my famed analogies.

This series of threads is not unlike a cooking competition and everyone's a judge. But say some of the candidates are, literally, plates of old stinky garbage. It goes without saying those will be the worst dishes in almost all categories. Most of the spin-offs are, figuratively, plates of old stinky garbage. Sure would be boring to repeatedly state that they're so bad. Was anything about Mario is Missing any good?

And I treat Sunshine like one too--not exactly fair on my behalf. I see very little good in it--but it's more worth playing than almost any spin-off if you ask me.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2009, 05:03:59 PM »
I recall the music in Mario Is Missing! being nice remixes of SMW themes.

« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2009, 05:10:09 PM »
And I learned many tidbits from Mario is Missing! when I was younger.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2009, 05:16:32 PM »
Mario Golf and Mario Tennis for the N64 are some of my favorite games. Their sequels aren't as good to me, but they certainly aren't the worst things ever. Same goes for Mario Superstar Baseball and Mario Strikers Charged (which I applaud for being stylistically unique amongst the spinoffs and amongst Mario games in general).

"Brighton and Twila, the sun and the moon, have always hosted the party."

First of all, if Brighton is the sun, why is Mario helping him out? Didn't the sun, like, wanna kill him in SMB3?

The Mushroom Kingdom clearly has more than one sun. The one you're talking about is the Angry Sun, which was probably made by Bowser. Did you forget about the sun that guards Flower Fields in Paper Mario?

Second of all, no they haven't. Hudson apparently forgot about Toad, The Star Spirits, Millennium Star/Tumble, and the generic enemies.

The plot of the game is contained within the Book of Dreams and didn't actually happen. It even takes place in some sort of "Mario Party World". Same goes for the plot of Mario Party 2, which was just an animatronic stage show at Mario Land.

"I know, let's play Mario Party to solve their feud!"

How will that solve anything? What they need is some anger management or counseling. ANYTHING would've been better than playing a board game. Talk about extremely awkward.

They did the same thing to determine who would get the Millennium Star in Mario Party 3, plus if my theory above is any indication, it's just a fairy tale that didn't happen.

Really, I'd put the plot of MP6 above MP5's Story Mode, which felt worse than your average children' educational television program.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 05:18:16 PM by The Chef »

« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2009, 07:10:03 PM »
I liked Mario Party 4's story mode the best out of the first five. At least earning presents on the character's birthday had relevance to winning party games. Mario Party 4 is one of the only games other than the main series in which I completed everything (got all the presents).
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 07:12:17 PM by NintendoExpert89 »

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2009, 09:34:04 PM »
Not to mention their justice system is even more broken than the US.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2009, 11:32:58 PM »
Man you guys, I'll never understand the massive amounts of SMS hate. I always had a blast with it.
That was a joke.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2009, 07:29:42 AM »
I love it.  The controls are smooth, and it's no ugly duckling in the graphics department, but there's no denying the NPCs were morons.  The difficulty was also inconsistent at times.  Super easy at some parts then other parts are hard to the point where it's more frustrating than fun (I like a challenge, but not if it makes me want to throw the controller and curse out a storm.)
Regards, Uncle Dolan

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2009, 09:13:59 AM »
I've given my reasons for thinking it inferior several times over.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2009, 09:18:32 AM »
Heck, I don't hate the game.  I've never met a Mario game I didn't like.  But, the piantas, the drowning Yoshi, and the overabundance of blue and red coins make it one of my least favorites.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2009, 10:48:50 AM »
Well I still find it hilarious that you guys are criticizing the NPCs' lack of intelligence when Mistaken Identity Cartoons are always stupid like that, and that's clearly what Miyamoto was going for.
Blue coins, eh, I never got them all, but never really felt compelled to get 120 Shines anyway.
Wide difficulty variance is a good thing. People who can't play games are still able to have some enjoyment, while people who are good can perfect their technique. You shouldn't have 100% completion handed to you. You have to get good enough to earn it.
That was a joke.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2009, 12:00:46 PM »
I don't mind wide difficulty as long as it's not too frustrating.  I hate those blooper rides.  One bump into something and you're dead.  I can see where they're trying to be somewhat realistic (Crash into a wall high speed with little to no protection, and your chance of survival is minimal) But here's what's frustrating about that; Mario has taken heavier blows than that, and lived to tell about it.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2009, 02:09:50 PM »
Super Mario All Stars counts as a Remake!

Week 38: Console Mario Game

BEST:

Super Mario 64 (5)
Super Mario Galaxy (3)
Super Mario World (2)
Super Mario Bros 3 (1)
Yoshi's Island (1)

WORST:

Super Mario Sunshine (5)
Mario is Missing (2)
Super Mario Bros 2 (American) (2)
Mario Party 7 (1)
Hotel Mario (1)
Mario Party 8 (1)
Yoshi's Story (1)

NOMINATIONS:

3D Game (7)
Nintendo System {Which system had the best/worst games?} (2)
Mario Spin-Off (1)
Mario RPG (1)

Next week is Secrets! (Brought to you by Chocobo)!

« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2009, 09:00:03 PM »
After playing through Mario's Time Machine the other day with a friend due to lack thereof of a better thing to do, I don't think so many people should condemn Mario Is Missing as the worst console game, strictly due to the fact that it's an educational game, and that falls under a whole different genre.  Sure it's not action filled, but it serves a different purpose.

Print