Print

Author Topic: Dividing by zero  (Read 3924 times)

cosmic_c

• EAGLES SCREAM!
« on: September 20, 2010, 08:56:39 PM »
You have noticed, or didn't care, I've been gone for a while. Well for my last math test I had problem no. 78. "What is (8X4)-3/0?" Well I guess it was actually a glitch in printing. Most people skipped the question while I tried to solve it. That was a bad idea. The page then split into two and in the center was a blue and black vortex that flung me a couple of weeks into the future. So......

So if were to divide by zero, or if you have, what would (or did) happen to you?

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 09:03:06 PM »
You should have just used a calculator you big dummy. The answer is obviously - E -

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 12:46:05 AM »
I get +∞ or -∞, end of story.  Unless the problem involves 0/0, then I gotta apply some L'Hôpital's Rule or other fancy limitwork.  Why this "dividing by 0 = doomsday" stuff ever got started I can't imagine.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 01:57:58 AM »
Most computers hurt themselves when they try to calculate infinity.
That was a joke.

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 02:08:19 AM »
Fine, if we're going to take this seriously you don't "get ∞", you get "undefined". Problem no. 78 was just simplifying an expression; there are no limits.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 05:56:39 AM »
Wait, when did the problem become about Batman?
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 10:09:30 AM »
This is what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object.

Also
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 02:55:40 PM by Toad »
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 10:52:18 AM »
Dividing by zero is more an inconvenience (or frustration) to me because whatever calculation or program I was working on comes to a screeching halt. Give me an opportunity to change the last thing I put in, but don't suddenly screw up the whole result just because of an error on my part. Changing the result to NaN (not a number) isn't much better. The idea of "nullity" or whatever it is that supposedly has an answer to dividing by zero sounds more like a way for systems to continue working when that happens (just so they don't have to handle it themselves), and yet you'll still be locked into a predetermined answer (in this case, nullity) that will probably screw up the rest of your calculation.

As for why dividing by zero leads to death and destruction... well, some systems have failed before because dividing by zero made them crash and they neglected to check for that. If the universe divided by zero and forgot to check for that, then you'd probably see the destruction they're talking about. Even if the destruction is usually a black hole.
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 01:04:09 PM »
Wait, when did the problem become about Batman?

It's simple: Kill the zero.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 09:12:41 PM »
guys the answer is obviously SYNTAX ERROR duh

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 12:32:58 AM »
If you divide by zero, that means you are splitting something up into zero equal parts. If you have zero parts, that means that you have zero! Whenever you divide by zero you get zero, just like when you divide by one you just get the original number again.

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2010, 02:46:20 AM »
you are splitting something up into zero equal parts.
But have you ever tried splitting something into 0 parts?

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2010, 09:08:01 AM »
I not dividing stuff around me constantly!

Print