Print

Author Topic: The Silly Mario Fan Theories Thread  (Read 188942 times)

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #330 on: January 15, 2013, 04:16:10 PM »
Maybe he's just from the nearer future.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #331 on: January 15, 2013, 04:27:34 PM »
Ballyhoo is really evil. Seriously, Ballyhoo is shady as hell, and I was really disappointed when I found out he wasn't really a bad guy. Alternatively, Big Top was really created by E. Gadd because I don't know where else a talking top-hat would come from.
Relics.

« Reply #332 on: January 15, 2013, 05:22:03 PM »
Ballyhoo and Chuck Quizmo are the same character

Maybe they just take on different personas in the Mario Party universe (assuming every series takes place  in a different universe). That would explain why his lovely assistant disappeared/became a hat. Except he was already wearing a top hat..

The spin-offs take place in the same vein as the last adventure
(I wanted to word that differently but forgot how I wanted to spell it out as I was typing..)

That's Petey Pirahna and King Boo became playable in many of the Gamecube spin-offs.. The spin-offs seem to follow the same sort of rules that the last major adventure game had (ie: SMW had a Chocolate Island location, SMK had Choco Island tracks. Or Super Mario Sunshine had Ricco Harbor as a location, Mario Power Tennis had a Ricco Harbor court. Stuff like that..)
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #333 on: January 22, 2013, 04:19:34 PM »
Mario doesn't invite Bowser over to karting/sporting events--the Koopa King just invites himself over.
Well, that's how it's shown in the beginning of Mario Tennis.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #334 on: January 23, 2013, 11:28:15 PM »
Birdo believes he's female because he's able to lay eggs asexually.
And because they can reproduce this way, there are no female Birdos either.

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #335 on: January 24, 2013, 05:24:28 AM »
Shoes give Koopa Troopas the power to walk upright.
In all games where Koopas have shoes, they walk upright. Whenever they walk on all fours, they're barefoot. POWER IN THE SHOES!
"Larger" types of Koopas don't need shoes to walk upright, though.
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #336 on: February 10, 2013, 07:26:01 PM »
The baby Yoshis in Super Mario World are not actually babies
Quote from: SMW manual
Suddenly the egg hatched, and out popped a young dinosaur named YOSHI, who
proceeded to tell Mario and Luigi a sad tale of how his dinosaur pals who
were sealed in similar eggs by a group of monstrous turtles.
On the surface, this is referring to the gold Yoshi eggs that follow Mario after clearing a castle, but I theorize that it also applies to the red, yellow, and blue Yoshis in the Star World. Those Yoshis were adult Yoshis that were sealed into eggs by Koopalings. So it's not that they eat five things and grow up into big Yoshis, it's that eating five things somehow breaks the curse on them and returns them to their actual size.

Why do green Yoshis come out of the eggs big, then? Well, they actually don't. For a few frames when the egg first hatches, the green Yoshi is baby-sized, and then becomes big. Also note that this also holds true for all colors of Yoshis gotten outside of Star World in the GBA version. It seems there is something about Dinosaur World that breaks the curse right away once the egg is released from the block. The ones in Star World don't have whatever it is about the ambience of Dinosaur World, and so the curse still needs to be broken.

This is why the baby Yoshis in Yoshi's Story, Thousand-Year Door, and New Super Mario Bros U do not grow up no matter how many things they eat (sidenote: Does anyone know how many Yoshi Cookies you have to feed to the baby Yoshi on Yo'ster's Isle to make him fat?).

On a similar note:

Toads now manufacture blocks
The blocks in the original SMB were Toads that had been transformed by Koopa magic, as the manual states, and Peach turned them back into Toads after the game was over. But when Mario explained to the Toads how much the blocks had helped him in his journey, they set out to create a global network of blocks (this time not made from Toads (actually, though, maybe they are? Maybe when a Toad dies, they can have their body donated to the Block Ministry?)), so that whenever Mario needed to go on another adventure, he would have coins and powerups safely stored away for him (as it seems that no other species is able to open ?-Blocks). They also began researching new types of powerups. Some, like Super Mushrooms and Fire Flowers are naturally occurring (Super Leaves and Super Acorns may also be natural, or there might be some genetic engineering going on there (especially with the P-Acorn)), but many other powerups were created by Mushroom Kingdom researchers. The intro to New Super Mario Bros Wii gives us a glimpse at this, with the presentation of two recently completed powerups, and their initial distribution throughout the world.

Blue Toad and Yellow Toad were powerup testers for the Mushroom Kingdom research center
They have gone through extensive training to match Mario and Luigi's physical skills, so that their testing of the powerups can be as accurate as possible.

Also, the block research lab in Woohoo Hooniversity shows us the Beanbean Kingdom's reverse-engineering of the Mushroom Kingdom's blocks, which they used to develop their own models. It's not clear whether they're doing this under the supervision of the Mushroom Kingdom, as a project for the Mushroom researchers, or if it's something they're doing on their own. The fact that the "Beanbean Ambassador" at the beginning of the game claimed to come with the intention of improving the relationship between the kingdoms suggests that their past may not be a particularly smooth one. The Beanbean block research may have been a defense operation.

Another thing I've been thinking about: How does the stork factor into Yoshi reproduction? Now, we've seen Yoshis hatching from eggs and we've seen Yoshis laying eggs, but we've never actually seen proof that those two are connected. It's possible that the eggs that Yoshis lay are actually a form of defecation, while the eggs that baby Yoshis come from are still delivered by the stork (I forget, was there any explanation of where the baby Yoshi egg at the end of Yoshi's Island DS came from?).
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #337 on: February 11, 2013, 02:52:36 AM »
I'd be willing to contest that first theory, if only because NSMBU clearly describes them as baby Yoshis.

As for Yoshi eggs, I've always wondered what's inside a non-reproductive egg. Is the Shy Guy (or whatever else) inside still relatively intact, or would it have converted to... never mind.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 02:54:58 AM by Weegee »
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #338 on: February 11, 2013, 03:38:40 AM »
It checks out for me. I'm now of the opinion that all the green Yoshis of SMW are the same, the character named Yoshi, and that when you lose him he gets sealed into an egg and moved to a different block (much like how he vanishes into another egg in Galaxy 2, and becomes one of the egg respawn points; you can even watch this happen), conveniently the first block you hit that WOULD contain a 1-Up... if Yoshi were already with you.

The only thing is that there's Yoshi, and at least one other green one, because Luigi can meet one too.
It's YOUR problem!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #339 on: February 11, 2013, 11:14:07 PM »
Luigi is never seen riding Yoshi in the official illustrations, therefore he never rides one throughout SMW's plot.

CrossEyed7

« Reply #340 on: February 12, 2013, 01:20:39 AM »
And in NSMBW, the official art always depicts each character riding a different colored Yoshi, and in NSMBU, there are no official illustrations of anyone other than Mario riding a Yoshi (the others are shown holding a baby).

There are at least two green Yoshis, though, even not counting the games that Miyamoto hates: the playable green one in YIDS and the baby green one that hatches at the end of the game. Unless that was time travel too.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #341 on: February 12, 2013, 01:41:25 AM »
I think it's a safe bet that EVERYONE hates YIDS
It's YOUR problem!

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #342 on: February 12, 2013, 05:45:52 AM »
I liked it. Are there aspects of the game that seriously bother me? Absolutely. Does it pale in comparison to Yoshi's Island? Of course. But it was still a fun and enjoyable game.

I could say the exact same thing about Sticker Star (compared to PM or PMTTYD).

Totally digging those power-up and block research theories, BTW.
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

CrossEyed7

« Reply #343 on: February 13, 2013, 07:10:25 PM »
The Yoshi kid in Thousand-Year Door is canonically green, judging by his Catch Card.

It's Yoshi from the last Paper Mario adventure. This scrappy Yoshi was the only way to travel!

There's also a green adult Yoshi on the Excess Express after finishing the chapter. I'll have to go back and check its dialogue and tattle some time.

And then there's this:

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #344 on: February 13, 2013, 07:28:12 PM »
Yeah absolutely. I was just talking in the context of SMW.
It's YOUR problem!

Print