Print

Author Topic: Numbers and Dates in the Mushroom World  (Read 20689 times)

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2013, 03:08:34 PM »
- First of all, the whole show is crap. Throw any episode in my direction and I'll probably find a million things wrong with it.

- The "classical prison escape trope" you mention is a direct parody of Escape From Alcatraz. MOST of the episodes of this show are known movie parodies. And if MOST of your episodes are known movie parodies you're not what I'd call the most creative TV writer.

- Exactly what constitutes Luigi's "crowning moment of awesome" is a matter of sheer opinion. It could be anything from any point in the franchise's history. Using that as your argument in the show's favor only makes you look less credible. Your flagrant use of TV Tropes vocabulary also isn't helping your case, and I actually like TV Tropes. :|
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 03:20:31 PM by The Chef »

« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2013, 04:08:35 PM »
Luigi has to break out of the shadows to save Mario's life.  How is that an "incredibly stupid idea?"  Do you just hate Luigi's Mansion?  And I don't see why some people condemn parodies in Mario cartoons while worshipping The Simpsons.  I also don't see what's so wrong about using parodies as vehicles to tell stories when the only two Super Mario Bros. games at the time were so scarce on story.

I'm sorry, we're derailing this conversation, huh?  Let's just agree to disagree.  As for the calendar, I found a reference in Partners in Time where E. Gadd says something about "toast on Sunday morning."  Confirmation of multiple calendars, or just an idiom?

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2013, 06:34:11 PM »
Quote from: E. Gadd, Present
Heh heh heh. Now, now, no need to get your leather lathered. There've been new time holes popping up here faster than toast on Sunday morning!
[source]

Possible interpretations:
  • One of the days of the week in the Mushroom World is called Sunday, a name that they came up with independently, named after their own sun (or suns -- the Angry Sun and the sun in Flower Fields come to mind. Brighton and Twila from Mario Party 6 also suggest that there may be something resembling sun and moon worship at some level). This explanation can also apply to any mentions of Mondays (moon); any other day would require more explanation, as they are named after specific Earth deities.
  • Gadd is from Earth, or spent time on Earth at some point, and picked up some Earth slang. Perhaps the Gadd in the past studied the time holes and was able to use the same concept to develop a method of travel between Earth and the Mushroom World (with the timeline modifying itself along the way, as it is prone to do in PiT).
  • Translation convention. Gadd actually used a word referring to a Mushroom day of the week, but Nintendo translated it to an Earth day for our convenience.
  • For one reason or another, the Mushroom World has the same seven-day week as us, with the same names, but the numbers and dates are different.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2013, 08:48:35 PM »
I'd go with the last one. It might work even better if you go with my oft-repeated idea that the Mushroom World is actually a far future post-apocalyptic Earth.

@Fawful Fan:

- "Luigi has to break out of the shadows to save Mario's life." <- That's not the stupid part. The rest of the episode is. Luigi's Mansion is a great game in general, and The Simpsons is a great show because it does parody well. Parody generally does not work well as a storytelling vehicle when you're also trying to adapt something else. In this particular, they only went with parodies because it was really easy to do. They took the lazy way out. Nintendo did not care.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 01:27:35 AM by The Chef »

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2013, 06:36:50 PM »
Relevant:

Billboards from Moonview Highway in Mario Kart Wii. If those aren't dates, I dunno what else they would be. So, it seems in the Mushroom World, they at least can refer to dates using our number system. And their months have at least 27 days. What these months are named or if they use our Gregorian calendar is unknown, but it's a start.
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2013, 07:03:35 PM »
Is it just me, or do those posters look sort of amateurish? They look like they were made in GIMP.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2013, 08:57:01 PM »
You haven't seen a lot of real billboards, have you?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2013, 11:53:06 PM »
Hey! What's wrong with GIMP?
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2013, 02:51:13 PM »
It's just that those posters use generic official art and cheesy fonts.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Print