more
1 (6.7%)
when humans cease to exist
7 (46.7%)
who knows!
2 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Print

Author Topic: will the mario franchise end?  (Read 8907 times)

« on: August 02, 2012, 08:19:55 PM »
this is a question that has boggled my mind, will the mario franchise ever end?

personally, i think in the next couple of decades, because if all the other game companies (sega, bungie, EA, ect.) will make new franchises and people might get bored with the same mario franchise.

but there is the possibilty that mario will last MUCH longer. there are over 200 mario games, more than any in a franchise, and it isnt showing any signs of slowing down.

so, what do you think?
people who hack sports games, obviously didn't make the team!

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 08:57:29 PM »
I think Mario will continue to be Nintendo's mascot long after the series loses popularity, much as Mickey Mouse is still Disney's icon despite no longer being its flagship character.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 12:11:00 PM »
It'll end tomorrow.

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 03:39:16 PM »
I highly doubt the mario series will ever end. It will probably slow down, but never come to a full stop. I really can't wait for the 100th aniversery game containing all games from SMB to SMG4 (you know it's going to happen)

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 03:49:40 PM »
Yeah, I can't wait to be 90 years old either
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 07:58:37 PM »
There definitely won't be any Mario when the universe reaches heat death. But we should ensure that Mario lives past the death of the Earth by launching a few copies of Super Mario Bros 3 and an NES into space.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 03:32:25 PM »
I'd say that rather than end the franchise will simply transform into whatever is relevant in the future.  After all, Mario started as Jumpman, a carpenter fighting a monkey.  Now he travels through space to battle a turtle.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 07:09:43 AM »
i think he will go within 20-30 years because, back in the 80's you werent cool until you had mario. but now there is lots more competition, like cod, Halo, Sonic, Minecraft ect.

so if 30 years ago mario was all that and today mario is starting to lose some popularity (or respect unfortunetly) predicting within another 30 years mario will either compleatly die out into the history books, or be one of those franchises that nobody plays.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 08:57:35 AM »
Er, I'm pretty sure Mario still sells better than a lot of other AAA games today. Someone else feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 09:17:41 AM »
well, not to say that you are wrong but there are still lots of people who love mario, but now there is just a lot more competition.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 01:01:50 PM »
Or is there? It doesn't seem so much like games are made that can or do compete with Mario so much anymore, not like they used to. I mean that there aren't a lot of games like Sonic, Bonk, Banjo, Mega Man that are similar to Mario in game style and story type as of late. Not that they don't exist at all, just that it doesn't appear to be the popular thing to do, as much as it may have been once.
It's YOUR problem!

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2012, 03:23:22 PM »
If Nintendo ever stops making Mario games and/or goes out of business, there'll always be fan games. Especially if he somehow falls into the public domain (if such a concept still exists 100 years from now). Maybe he'll end up like Sherlock Holmes.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2012, 06:12:53 PM »
A dark, gritty reboot played/voiced by Robert Downey Jr?

Maybe it's already ended. But then, if the SMG ending applies, it's already started over. We've got a "Circle of Life" thing going on here. Kinda.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2012, 08:49:56 PM »
I don't get where the idea that SMG's ending "started everything over" comes from. Whatever did happen was vague, but what I gathered was that Bowser's galaxy (not the entire universe) imploded and some Lumas died in it, but that's okay because when that happens they would become new stars and planets, and that Mario's "Welcome, new galaxy" was referring to that one. SMG2's plot is lazily similar but it didn't feel as much like it was supposed to be a time reboot as much as giving players who hadn't played the first game an introduction to a recycled concept. The game's code does name it "Super Mario Galaxy More," after all...

Maybe I don't read between the lines enough?
It's YOUR problem!

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2012, 12:56:43 AM »
I still say if Star Trek can get away with acting like a black hole could destroy the universe, Mario can totally do it.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Print