Poll

Boy or girl?

Boy
30 (47.6%)
Girl
33 (52.4%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Print

Author Topic: Is Birdo a boy or girl?  (Read 59001 times)

« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2011, 07:55:59 PM »
One of the last papers I wrote as an undergraduate in college was about Birdo; It was a class on transgendered and inter-sex matters regarding literature and media.
Kweeh! Kweeh! Yes, Kweeh forever!

« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2011, 09:28:52 PM »
What does that mean?
"Tranny" is short for tranvestite, or androgidous. It means someone who likes to dress in garb traditionally worn by the opposite sex.
I am the Enchanted Esperanza...watch as I magically teleport myself to a foreign location at the speed of light...
*the person to which I spoke blinks*
Hello, I'm back! Want to see me do it again?

« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2011, 12:57:03 AM »
Basically Weegee.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2011, 07:28:38 AM »
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2011, 01:40:49 PM »
For how long it's been since that gif was last used (and considering who generally used it), I'm a little underwhelmed.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #65 on: April 22, 2011, 03:12:24 PM »
Why isn't anyone just "whelmed"?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2011, 05:26:47 PM »
You know that feeling you get when you're flipping channels? When you're eating breakfast? When you're checking your email? That's being whelmed.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #67 on: April 22, 2011, 05:43:52 PM »
Not necessarily, depending on what you're watching, eating, or reading.

But that was mostly a reference to Young Justice's incarnation of Robin, who likes to mess with words.

« Reply #68 on: April 22, 2011, 05:57:24 PM »
"Tranny" is short for tranvestite, or androgidous. It means someone who likes to dress in garb traditionally worn by the opposite sex.

Correction: "Tranny" is most commonly used as an abbreviation for "transsexual", AKA one who has his or her gender surgically reassigned due to a desire for attention.

inb4 "Weegee seems very knowledgeable on this subject"
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

A

« Reply #69 on: April 22, 2011, 07:16:47 PM »
Weegee seems very knowledgeable on this subject.
"I was going to post and say "I have one of those!" because I recognized the hair immediately, but then the rest of the pic loaded and I nearly spit my drink out."
1-800-COLLECT: SAVE A BUCK OR TWO!!

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #70 on: November 20, 2011, 11:11:40 PM »
You know what's weird? In Japan, Birdo is called Catherine, and then the descriptions say she'd prefer to be called "Cathy" because she identifies as female. Does Japan think Catherine is a guy's name? Is it one over there?

Maybe it's just that Cathy is a cuter-sounding variation rather than just being her species name, regardless of how feminine the species name already sounds (kinda like how Toadette and Toad are both Toads). Maybe it's a semi-common thing in the Mushroom World to name your son after your species name (Mario Mario?), and she wants to get away from that convention.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 11:13:21 PM by CrossEyed7 »
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #71 on: November 21, 2011, 04:49:59 AM »
I like the second theory, and don't think Japan views Catherine as a male name considering the game Catherine, which features a girl named Catherine and a girl named Katherine.

Hmm, I wonder how that gag works in Japanese.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #72 on: November 21, 2011, 12:49:58 PM »
I don't think it does, since both names are written as キャサリン. Katherine has a last name, though, so maybe it's that, or maybe they do something with the color it's written in.

(Looking a little more, it seems they'd refer to them as Catherine and Katherine in English in the Japanese version as well.)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 12:52:53 PM by WarpRattler »

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #73 on: November 21, 2011, 12:55:52 PM »
It doesn't.
Edit: Looks like Warp beat me to it. Oh well.
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

« Reply #74 on: November 23, 2011, 02:42:18 AM »
In Japan, Birdo is a transgender. (like me)

In America, Hell I don't know anymore.
気持ち悪い

Print