Print

Author Topic: All right now who do ya want in Smash Bros. 4  (Read 35867 times)

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #75 on: July 17, 2011, 02:22:46 AM »
Melee made the original obsolete for tournament play, where the only thing you mentioned that would ever come up is the attacks that were changed between games.

Not exactly. Have any of you ever played the original competitively? It's different than Melee, not worse. While Melee clearly improves upon the original in many ways, it in no way obsoletes it.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

« Reply #76 on: July 17, 2011, 03:38:59 AM »
Melee and Brawl have more characters, more stages, all of that good stuff, but for some reason I just prefer the gameplay of the original by far. That's not even just nostalgia talking, I only started playing SSB64 a few months before I got Melee. It just feels... more fun? Plus, I have a hell of a time spiking my friends as Falcon. :D
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #77 on: July 17, 2011, 09:59:00 AM »
[Melee] in no way obsoletes [SSB].
Then where are all these people conducting SSB classic tournaments?

Being a "different" game isn't enough to say it's not obsolete. If it was we'd still have tournaments for Street Fighter II, Street Fighter III, Street Fighter IV, BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger, The King of Fighters '94, X-Men vs. Street Fighter, DarkStalkers, Street Fighter Alpha, Guilty Gear, and many others that are "different" from updated versions or sequels in the same series.

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #78 on: July 17, 2011, 11:02:15 AM »
Then where are all these people conducting SSB classic tournaments?

A 2009 tournament in San Francisco.

An entire board dedicated to tournaments (online or not).

Just because you don't see tournaments every day it doesn't mean there aren't any. I even went to a tournament my college held last semester.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 11:28:52 AM by Kimimaru »
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #79 on: July 17, 2011, 11:35:33 AM »
A few tournaments and a small section on a message board (on the Melee section of the forum, there are more posts in all but a couple of the individual character-specific discussion boards than for the entire SSB64 competitive play board) is not what I'm talking about. I'm talking big tournaments, NorCal vs. SoCal rivalries, EVO, all that stuff. Even Melty Blood, an obscure Japan-only game based on a visual novel no one has heard of, has better grounds for that claim than SSB64.

« Reply #80 on: July 17, 2011, 01:02:44 PM »
So, there are a few issues with this line of conversation that I think is hampering our ability to move on. 

1. Basing a games obsolesence solely on tournament play shows very little other than if you look hard enough you can probably find a Quackshot competition. It's not a standard meter nor are die hard fans that cling to a version the most valid representation of the fans.
2. SSB is actually already a decent example FOR them not becoming obsolete with each following title. Each title is different enough to the last for there to be plenty of people who have good reason to play the earlier ones. Whether it be physics, items, moves (both differing moves and the moves behaving differently), levels. But there's no reason someone would still be playing Street Fighter II Hyper Fighting. There might be people playing it, but everything it had was updated/fixed/made better in SSFIIT.
3. And finally, we're missing out on the fact that all past games of any series will become obsolete if Segata Sanshiro is playable in the next one, because it would cause an awesome-singularity of the interactive-entertainment medium.
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #81 on: July 17, 2011, 01:39:08 PM »
SSB is actually already a decent example FOR them not becoming obsolete with each following title. Each title is different enough to the last for there to be plenty of people who have good reason to play the earlier ones. Whether it be physics, items, moves (both differing moves and the moves behaving differently), levels.

I completely agree with this.

Warp, there aren't only a few small tournaments going on; there are many taking place each day. There used to be an entire board dedicated to SSB64 on Smashboards until recently, when they decided to integrate Melee with it. I've been in the SSB64 competitive scene for 5+ years and I can say for sure that Melee does not obsolete it. Sure, there are more options, characters, and stages in Melee, but in the original the physics are much different and the combo possibilities are endless. If someone was playing Yoshi as his/her main character in the original and switched to the Yoshi in Melee, he/she would be very surprised at how much different it is controlling him.

If none of this convinces you, go ahead and play both games with some friends and see how different the experiences you'll get are.

« Reply #82 on: July 18, 2011, 08:46:29 AM »
I wouldn't say Melee obsoleted the original. There are many awesome things in it that haven't returned in Melee, including several stages, attacks, items (the Bumper especially), and Board the Platforms.

Oh my GOD I miss Board the Platforms.  Race to the finish as well.  Smash 4 needs to put those mo-fos back into Classic mode. 
Haters gonna hate

« Reply #83 on: July 20, 2011, 09:15:16 AM »
I've been reading the Super Smash Bros. Wiki, and apparently Meowth (along with Pit, Peach, and a few others) was considered for the original SSB, but was cut due to time/budget constraints.  I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks he'd be awesome, and I'd love to see him in Smash 4, filling the role left by the likely-leaving Lucario.  Bonus, since Meowth has a bit of a legacy (being a Generation 1 Pokemon and a major player in the anime) I could see him sticking around. 

Sakurai has said he'd like to develop Smash 4 for 3DS and WiiU, and that the two games would have some sort of connectivity.  Now this I think is a very cool opportunity.  WiiU can have the big, epic grand Smash 4, with a huge roster and such, and 3DS Smash can have a smaller-scale more "personal" experience.  What about this: Maybe 3DS Smash is a sort of "Heroes and Villains" edition, with a cast that looks something like this:

Mario
Bowser
Donkey Kong
King K. Rool
Link
Gannondorf
Samus
Ridley
Kirby
Dedede
Fox
Wolf
Pikachu
Meowth (Yeah, he's officially part of my list of characters I want in Brawl now)
Pit
Medusa
Capt. Falcon
Samurai Goroh
Little Mac
King Hippo

Basically, any Nintendo series with a Smash-worthy hero and villain is represented by their respective hero and villain. Of course, this would leave some classic smashers high and dry, like Mr. Game and Watch or even Yoshi.  I don't know enough about the Advance Wars or Fire Emblem or Mother/Earthbound guys to come up with a respective playable villain, but if they have one,  throw 'em in!  I think this could be one way to make the 3DS and WiiU Smash Bros. games unique from one another.  Being a handheld/portable title, having a smaller cast list makes sense: this is Smash Bros. Lite, on-the-go.  Connectivity?  If your WiiU wirelessly communicates with your 3DS copy of Smash 4, you can unlock some of the exclusive characters from 3DS for use in WiiU, and vice versa.   
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 09:20:10 AM by billy chilly »
Haters gonna hate

« Reply #84 on: August 27, 2011, 07:01:20 PM »
Mario
Bowser
Donkey Kong
King K. Rool
Link
Gannondorf
Samus
Ridley
Kirby
Dedede
Fox
Wolf
Pikachu
Meowth (Yeah, he's officially part of my list of characters I want in Brawl now)
Pit
Medusa
Capt. Falcon
Samurai Goroh
Little Mac
King Hippo

This idea, plus Lucas and the Masked Man (AKA Claus, although this shouldn't be a spoiler if you've looked at Lucas's trophy for Brawl) for EB/Mother, and with Wario and Yoshi you can have Wario, Captain Syrup, Yoshi, and Kamek.
GAY LUIGEH

« Reply #85 on: September 21, 2011, 02:01:45 PM »
Maybe not exactly on topic, but this was the first Smash Bros. 4 thread I could find.

How's this for a potential title: "Super Smash Bros. Universe"

Apparently it's been leaked.  Whether or not it actually gets used... well it'll be a while before we know that. 

Link: http://wii.ign.com/articles/119/1195665p1.html?RSSwhen2011-09-20_184700&RSSid=1195665&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ignfeeds%2Fwii+%28IGN+Wii%29

Assuming Smash 4 continues the trend of increasing the roster size, and pulling in guest fighters (MEGA MAN PLEASE) I think this would be a very fitting name.  It's also a nice tie-in to Wii U (Smash Bros. U).
Haters gonna hate

« Reply #86 on: September 23, 2011, 07:03:42 AM »
Two words: Bill Rizer.
His attacks could be the different guns from Contra.
His Final Smash should be somewhat obvious. (Hint: look in my sig)

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #87 on: May 27, 2013, 09:19:40 PM »
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #88 on: May 27, 2013, 09:34:43 PM »
Followin'.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #89 on: June 02, 2013, 08:26:41 AM »
Surprised nobody's discussed Earthworm Jim yet.
Now with grandeur.

Print