Poll

What do you enter for 1 minute 30 seconds?

:90
6 (28.6%)
1:30
9 (42.9%)
Whichever one I feel like using
3 (14.3%)
What the package says
3 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Print

Author Topic: Microwave Times  (Read 8348 times)

« on: July 28, 2012, 10:13:39 PM »
I noticed while I was microwaving something that I entered the cooking time as 60 seconds, but the cooling time as 1 minute. Then I saw that the package said exactly what I put in for the cooking and cooling times. Does anyone else do this based on the package?

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 10:23:14 PM »
My microwave automatically converts any value of seconds above sixty to its corresponding value of minutes.  So I don't really have a choice.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 10:27:48 PM »
You manually type in a cooling period timer?

WHAT A DORK!

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 10:35:36 PM »
My microwave only has 3 custom program slots. :(

first world problems

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 11:16:31 PM »
It depends on how numerically inclined I am when I use the microwave
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 06:01:26 AM »
I only typed in 90 seconds once in my entire life; our microwave didn't care about how you set it as long as it could do the countdown.
I'm a horrible person.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 09:45:59 AM »
I am very lazy when it come to my microwave.  If the package calls for 1:40, I'll enter 99 to save one button press and not have to move my finger to three different buttons. 

Package:  [1], move finger, [4], move finger,
  • , move finger, [start]

I'm lazy: [9], [9], move finger, [start]

In this example there is the added benefit of having the nine button close to the start button, but the compromise of one less second of cook time. 

If a package calls for wrapping, flipping, bending the box, or changing the power setting I won't purchase it (again). 

Edit:  I typed the following 
I'm lazy: [9], [9], move finger, [start]
Why did the forum change it to a circle then repeat the line without a circle? 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 10:32:18 AM »
If a package calls for wrapping, flipping, bending the box, or changing the power setting I won't purchase it (again). 
I guess you don't buy microwave pizzas then.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 04:13:45 PM »
My microwave has this little dial that adds/subtracts time in 15-second increments, and then when you start it, you can turn it more to add/subtract in 5-second ones. Weird.

It also has this button that reads "Reheat" that does just what it sounds like. It doesn't tell you how much time it's doing until there's about 20 seconds left, but somehow it never gets it wrong. Any leftovers, or hot dogs, or whatever... as long as it's not frozen, somehow it comes out more or less how you'd want it.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 10:46:47 PM »
OMG BP HAS A PHYCHIC MICROWAVE!!!!11

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 03:19:13 PM »
I like to add or subtract a couple of seconds because I get tired of starting at the same number every time.  Instead of a minute, why not sixty-two seconds? :)
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 03:39:48 PM »
I guess you don't buy microwave pizzas then.
You guessed correctly.  Instead I have a pizza pan with holes and use an oven.  It takes longer, but has less steps and I end up with a nice crispy pizza instead of a soggy doughy microwave pizza.  Plus the pizza box is recyclable unlike those coated microwave boxes. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 06:48:17 PM »
What do the holes do?

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2012, 11:01:12 AM »
They allow the pizza to be cooked into a crispy crust without the chance of an Epic Pizza FAIL from putting it directly on the rack. 

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2012, 02:20:45 PM »

Print