Print

Author Topic: Obsolete Things You're Glad You Don't See Anymore  (Read 8652 times)

BP

• Beside Pacific
« on: October 23, 2012, 12:28:47 AM »
Sometimes it surprises me how many of these I can think of. It's alarming to have "When I was your age, we had [thing] and it sucked" stories and to have told them. I can't be that old...

-Tags on T-shirts. These aren't actually completely gone, I guess, but I haven't owned a T-shirt with a tag for a long time and I am eternally grateful to whoever decided to start printing the shirt info on the inside of the shirt.

-VHS. Rewinding, the amount of space a tape took, the fragility of the things, my god. If all VHS tapes and VCRs vanished suddenly, they would not be missed.

-Disposable cameras. I seem to remember dozens of these things lying around my house when I was little, used up, and never being taken to the 1-hour photo.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 12:56:11 AM »
- All manner of floppy magnetic storage devices, and to an extent, removable optical storage devices. Goodness knows how many 3.5 inch floppies I had as a kid (I recall finding one under a desk a few years ago labeled "World Domination Plans"), but today? We just email stuff to ourselves, or toss it in "the cloud."

- Speaking of email and clouds and whatnot, DIAL-UP. Takes up the phone line, makes a racket, and slow as molasses. Not that America's "broadband" is that much better. Six times as fast as not fast can hardly be thought of as fast.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 12:57:57 AM by Suffix »

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 01:26:39 AM »
What can I say, everyone hated dial-up. The fact that you couldn't browse the internet and use a landline phone at the same time was so irritating and inconvenient.

...oh wait, those are kind of going the way of the dodo too, eh?
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 01:56:14 AM »
If all VHS tapes and VCRs vanished suddenly, they would not be missed.
I was over a friend's house not too long ago, and we decided to explore his basement. In the basement, we found a whole ton of old anime VHS tapes that looked spectacularly awful. We decided that we're going to take a day during Christmas break and watch all of them. So, we're a small set of people who actually would miss VHS tapes if they vanished.

As for a thing that I don't miss, I'm gonna actually go with something similar to that: cassette tapes. Difficult to pick the song you want to hear, act funny if the weather's too hot, and they degrade in quality astonishingly quickly.
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 10:31:36 AM »
Does HD-DVD count? I laugh in the face of every chump who bought either a Blu-Ray or an HD-DVD player before that little war was over. Then again, if nobody bought either, they'd never have found out which was most popular....
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 10:36:22 AM »
I remember that, we stayed out of it because it was so expensive, and knew at least one was going to die out completely.

And still, the only real Blu-Ray player we own is a PS3, because a guy gave it to us as collateral for borrowing/buying something from my dad; guess who's still got it? Pretty happy that we basically got that thing for free.
I'm a horrible person.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 11:19:15 AM »
Selling the PS3 at a loss really helped advance the cause of Blu-ray, it seems. On Facebook, I once bemoaned the fact I would never own the HD version of Shadow of the Colossus as I did not own a PS3, and to my astonishment, a relative of mine came out and pointed out that she purchased a PS3 because it was cheaper than similar Blu-ray, and indeed, HD-DVD players. An isolated incident to be sure, but it's easy to imagine it occurring.

- Chalkboards. Messy, noisy, usually only one color.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 11:21:50 AM by Suffix »

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 02:50:42 PM »
Threads like these.

I kid, I kid.

Do non-laptop computers count? The only people I know who still use them are old and/or poor.

EDIT: Since when have spoilers been disabled?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 02:53:33 PM by Weegee »
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 03:43:19 PM »
I guess I'm old and/or poor, then, because I use a desktop.

I also currently have about a hundred and fifty Firefox tabs open, am watching some friends play Dota 2 through the standard game client, am running KVIrc with connections to five networks, and have MAME and Procaster running in the background so I can stream Fantasy Zone after the Dota 2 match is over.

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 03:55:33 PM »
If I may point out: disposable cameras still exist. We usually buy some around special event times (birthdays, holidays, memorable such things..) It's a hassle to have seven different people take pictures with their own cameras, and then attempt to get them all to give up all the pictures they took.. but anyway..

- Giant sized cell phones: imagine walking down the street, talking into something the size of a brick (and possibly weighs just as much). I am glad for the down-sizing of cell phones (I hate the fact that people on their phones ignore the rest of the world, but that's for a different topic..)
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 06:05:30 PM »
I wish I could remember the title of the Ted Talk where the presenter showed that everything we think of as obsolete is still made and used somewhere. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 10:40:16 PM »
And every sports team who lost a championship actually won in third world countries.

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 06:36:47 AM »
Threads like these.

I kid, I kid.

Do non-laptop computers count? The only people I know who still use them are old and/or poor.

EDIT: Since when have spoilers been disabled?
I think it's your browser.
they work for me
VVVERExSTFJCQVM=

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 08:01:08 AM »
Spoilers didn't work for me in Chrome, but it was due to an extension.  I don't recall which one though. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2012, 06:22:15 PM »
I just noticed the following attached image in my Microsoft Outlook 2010.

Print