Print

Author Topic: Hypnosis?  (Read 3269 times)

« on: October 25, 2012, 06:44:00 PM »
Just thinking of this, and honestly I'm not sure if if this belongs in NATDT, but do you what do you guys think of hypnosis? (Also, bonus question: If you could be hypnotized for anything what would it be? Be as creative as you want; I already know my answers are going to be super boring compared to anything you guys come up with)

From what I understand, hypnosis uses suggestion from a fully-willing individual concerning a goal they wish to achieve; in other words, it's only good if the person in question really wants to undergo the "effects" of hypnosis. That said, I took a psychology class last semester, and while I enjoyed it, I never felt as though we really got into hypnosis in the way I envisioned it. When I say that, I don't mean "mind control," but rather just the idea of suggested behaviors in general. Also, I've attempted hypnosis tracks on YouTube before (for memory purposes mostly), with pretty much no results. Whilst in my psyc class, I did a test of "susceptibility" by which tells you if you can easily undergo hypnosis, and according to it, I can... but I think I don't fully "subscribe" to the idea, if that makes any sense; otherwise, I think it would've made a difference. Maybe I over-think the whole thing too much for it to work? I don't think I fully get the grasp of the idea; what do you guys take from it?

To answer my own question above, I'd want to be hypnotized to remember my dreams well. There's a lot of stuff that goes on in my head that almost immediately becomes forgotten; even though in the back of my head, I'm thinking, "Man, I wish I knew what that dream was about; that was cool!"
I'm a horrible person.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 06:56:20 PM »
You don't need hypnosis.  You need a notepad and a pen by your bed. 

You also need practice.  You should lay down for few minutes then try get the pen/paper and write something on the page with minimal effort.  You may even want to do it with your eyes closed.  Repeat this several times to get into the habit and it will be much easier when you actually wake up mid-dream. 

You might also enjoy learning about lucid dreaming. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 07:41:34 PM »
I'm pretty sure I have a notebook somewhere in which I recorded the location where my dreams take place.  I never do anything cool in my dreams, I just go to really cool places.

If I were hypnotized, I would want to rid myself of my arachnophobia.  I can handle daddy-long-legged spiders and baby ones, but if I open a book and there's a picture of a tarantula, I'll involuntarily throw the book across the room in fright.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 06:44:37 PM »
I'll definitely have to start doing the notepad thing; it's a very common suggestion. Lucid dreaming is another interesting topic to me, because it's a very strange experience I've only encountered once or twice. I don't think I did or saw anything substantial in those instances, but your perception in lucid dreams is crazy. Actually, I take the "substantial" comment back; once I was able to switch at will the "world" of the dream I was in. The other just consisted of me sleeping, but I was still totally there!
I'm a horrible person.

Print