Muslim
1 (1.8%)
Other (Please Explain)
9 (16.4%)
Atheist
18 (32.7%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Print

Author Topic: What's Your Religion?  (Read 129445 times)

« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2008, 08:21:04 PM »
A religion is something you believe for no sensical reason, only because your parents told you or it makes you feel better about dying because you're scared.

Yup, that sounds about right.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2008, 08:23:10 PM »
You tell me any reason why evolution doesn't make sense, and I'll tell you why it does. For reals.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2008, 08:28:17 PM »
Evolution doesn't make sense. ;)

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2008, 08:35:50 PM »
Well, specific reasons, of course (but I'll give you that one).

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2008, 08:40:34 PM »
I can't recall ever seeing any evidence of evolution. I don't mean proof (obviously there can't be proof, since no one was around back then, at least not if evolution is true), just evidence. I've heard plenty of people say they've got evidence, but the few who have ever followed through on their claim either gave something that's been discredited a thousand times over (Peppered moths, archeopteryx, evolution of the horse, etc.), something that only substantiated natural selection (Yeah, I get it. Things that are more likely to survive are more likely to survive. Now show me how that translates to "from the goo through the zoo to you."), something completely irrelevant (There was something once about some scientists that bred a butterfly with another butterfly and made a butterfly. Apparently it was supposed to be important because they arbitrarily decided that it constituted a new species), or just told me to look at "the fossil record" (which Darwin readily admitted was the theory's greatest flaw, and which fits the theory of a global flood about at least as well if not better). As far as I can tell, most people believe it because it's the only naturalistic theory that makes any amount of sense (or at least that they've been told makes sense).

I'm at least somewhat open to the possibility of God creating the world through evolution (although it seems a rather pointless and convoluted way for an omnipotent being to make a world, not to mention the theological difficulties of death existing before Adam), but I've honestly never seen anything that made me seriously consider it.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2008, 09:20:57 PM »
See, just saying there's no proof does not an absense of proof make. Basically, a bunch of monkeys decided to get together in Africa and study up, growing harder, better, faster and stronger than the rest of the monkeys everywhere else. That's where a lot of people get it wrong. Evolution does not mean every single member of the species grows better at once; isolated groups of smarter/stronger animals can mate and mate and mate, producing smarter/stronger offspring in that little area, I'm not sure why Darwin thought the fossil record was "a flaw", but I personally don't consider evolution to even be a "theory".

Take the X-Files. I recall an episode wherein Mulder and Scully find like Mole people or whatever, and they're all essentially superhuman. One of them remarks that if they continue growing at this rate, then they could take over the world and replace current humans as the dominant species, just like Cro-Magnon replaced the Neanderthal replaced early hominids. That's an example of evolution (maybe I remembered the episode wrong, but you get the idea).
every

« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2008, 09:50:36 PM »
So, uh, worrying about evidence of evolution aside for the moment, what's the sum of evidence found showing that the Earth Universe was created in a six day span a half dozen millennia back?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2008, 10:31:13 PM »
A really old book with half a million authors.

« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2008, 11:32:32 PM »
Well, specific reasons, of course (but I'll give you that one).

I was just being a dork, actually. It was kind of a rhetorical response (if there is such a thing).
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 11:45:19 PM by PaperLuigi »

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2008, 05:22:13 AM »
So, uh, worrying about evidence of evolution aside for the moment, what's the sum of evidence found showing that the Earth Universe was created in a six day span a half dozen millennia back?
Why put it aside? I never claimed that my origin theory fit into the boundaries of naturalistic science. You, on the other hand, are. Your theory is the one being pushed by scientists, so examine it with science. I didn't even mention creationism in my post. I didn't advocate anything.

Also, that's a false dichotomy (and/or strawman). Not everyone who doubts evolution believes in the Ussher chronology.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2008, 07:00:50 AM »
the Ussher chronology.
I'm not fond of his music, really.

I was just being a dork, actually. It was kind of a rhetorical response (if there is such a thing).
Yeah, I could tell by the ";)"

MushroomJunkie

• He's serious
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2008, 09:45:30 AM »
You tell me any reason why evolution doesn't make sense, and I'll tell you why it does. For reals.

1. First Law of thermodynamics: Matter can't be created or destroyed, only transformed.
So if there is a God who created the earth, then that means he has will outside of that law.

2. All matter bends towards decay.  Is it possible for a house to evolve?  Once you build a house will it get
stronger or weaker as time goes on?  Does a peach get riper and riper or does it eventually rot?  Do humans die or
do they just get stronger and stronger over many years.

3.  It is a fact that life cannot be created in water because of hydrolysis.  Water cannot build up, it can only
break down.  So it is redundant to say that life started in water.

These are just a few over the many facts of why evolution is wrong.
Probably likes Sonic games better than anyone else on the fungi forums.

Boo Dudley

• This is not a secret page hint
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2008, 10:21:18 AM »
lol @ stronger better cave-eat.

Evolution does not by any means mean better, just better suited to an environment. Let's look at stronger; not only are humans weak by great ape standards, we're pound-for-pound one of the physically weakest vertebrates around. What makes us so prolific? Well, it's not raw intelligence or tool manipulation--those help, but many other animals show to be just as capable at these things (Orangutans memorizing symbols better than some human subjects (one of which was a brain surgeon)). What gives us our edge is communication, of which we are second to none. When looking at neanderthals, our burly cousins, the most stand out feature is their laughably simple vocal structure. So it's logical to summarize that vocalization was their downfall to humans. It's through vocalization that we get literature, music, et al. But everything else about us (aside from trichromatic vision, which has as many downsides as advantages, I believe) we are not in any sense stronger or better.

MushroomJunkie

• He's serious
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2008, 10:30:09 AM »
I'm talking about the evolving part.  If everything bends towards decay how can life evolve?  If we evolved then why do we die?  Why don't we just keep evolving?  An 80 year old man  shouldn't be weak he should be ten times stronger, smarter, flexible, and faster as a guy that 30 years old.
Probably likes Sonic games better than anyone else on the fungi forums.

Shyguy92

• Ridicules
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2008, 12:35:58 PM »
They found a skeleton from Africa in England, or something, and that proved it.
I'm talking about the evolving part.  If everything bends towards decay how can life evolve?  If we evolved then why do we die?  Why don't we just keep evolving?  An 80 year old man  shouldn't be weak he should be ten times stronger, smarter, flexible, and faster as a guy that 30 years old.
Death is the main thing. The stupid die faster therefore there are less stupid people therefore the race is smarter. Of course it's way more complicated then that but you get the picture.
"it's always the present"

Print