Muslim
1 (1.8%)
Other (Please Explain)
9 (16.4%)
Atheist
18 (32.7%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Print

Author Topic: What's Your Religion?  (Read 129164 times)

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #75 on: September 26, 2008, 02:02:23 PM »
Evolution is not a religion. It's a scientific theory. It is also known was "Darwinism" and only applies to the natural cycle of nature.

Hitler was not an "evolutionist", he was a Social Darwinist. A person who believes that the theory of evolution applies to human society. This is generally accepted as immoral.

Now do you understand, Mushroom Jerky?

Boo Dudley

• This is not a secret page hint
« Reply #76 on: September 26, 2008, 02:39:22 PM »
So if I hack into your account and post something you would never post, that makes me Boo Dudley because that's what I call myself?

I'm not a religion.... but I should be.

Shyguy92

• Ridicules
« Reply #77 on: September 26, 2008, 02:40:31 PM »
"With all due respect", yeah right.  Ok I'm bailing from this thread before things get any worse.  BD I understand that we have different opinions on religion and I'm not changing yours and your not changing mine so theres no point in argueing about it.  I don't want to be your or anyone elses enemy here.  I'm sorry if I offended you in anyway (like with the disabled people thing) I believe you that you don't want to get rid of them. :)
Actually I don't think your an idiot. Sorry about that. You are very delusional, mislead, and...wrong in this subject though.
"it's always the present"

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #78 on: September 26, 2008, 03:17:21 PM »
Evolution is not a religion. It's a scientific theory. It is also known was "Darwinism" and only applies to the natural cycle of nature.

Define "scientific theory".  It has no more solid evidence than any other religion.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #79 on: September 26, 2008, 03:18:13 PM »
Except for, you know, skeletons and DNA.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #80 on: September 26, 2008, 03:49:33 PM »
Turtlekid, just saying something has no proof doesn't mean it doesn't.
every

Boo Dudley

• This is not a secret page hint
« Reply #81 on: September 26, 2008, 03:59:11 PM »
Dinosaurs are a trick from the devil. *nod*

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #82 on: September 26, 2008, 04:21:38 PM »
Define "scientific theory".  It has no more solid evidence than any other religion.

A scientific theory is an idea that may or may not be true based on partial scientific evidence. Religion is based on people telling you something is true and forcing you to believe it.

« Reply #83 on: September 26, 2008, 04:36:58 PM »
'Looks at Turtlekid'

I see you have a LOT to learn, young, and easily fooled convinced Turtlekid

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #84 on: September 26, 2008, 05:15:28 PM »
True, but you definitely don't have to be young to be easily fooled... especially when it comes to this kind of stuff.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #85 on: September 26, 2008, 09:41:41 PM »
Except for, you know, skeletons and DNA.
I love how we completely skipped over the question of specific evidence for evolution, and now it's just for granted.

Also, can this please go in a new thread? Reading is right, we should get back on topic here.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #86 on: September 27, 2008, 12:43:32 AM »
If you wish to continue the fight over Science and Religon, "The Afterlife" is now hosting this violent brawl.

Reading

• is FUNdamental
« Reply #87 on: September 27, 2008, 06:00:03 PM »
Also, can this please go in a new thread? Reading is right, we should get back on topic here.
Wait, did I just see that? SCORE ONE!

If you wish to continue the fight over Science and Religon, "The Afterlife" is now hosting this violent brawl.
You know, I think they started this forum with the intention of it being civil, given the description and all...but so far it hasn't been civil. Not the way I see it, at least.

...I suppose I may as well contribute something on the topic, so I will say that I'm a Christian.
We went to see them for the first time in 5 years because they were going away for 3 years.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #88 on: September 28, 2008, 07:38:56 AM »
1) If God is all-knowing, why is prayer ever needed?

2) If God's love is unconditional, then why did he make hell?

3) If Adam and Eve only had sons, from where did their wives come?

4) If man is fallible, is it also possible his interpretations of religion are as well?
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #89 on: September 28, 2008, 05:12:06 PM »
1) If God is all-knowing, why is prayer ever needed?

2) If God's love is unconditional, then why did he make hell?

3) If Adam and Eve only had sons, from where did their wives come?

4) If man is fallible, is it also possible his interpretations of religion are as well?

1) Prayer is not needed for God, but rather for ourselves. Think of it like this: if you have a friend and he knows everything about you, does that mean that you shouldn't still want to spend time with him? Trust me, I don't pray for God's sake, but rather for my own sake to come to know God.

2) God loves all of his children, however some chose with their own free will to not accept it. God would never force anyone to do anything that he or she does not want to do. If a person truly hates God and does not want to spend eternity with him, then God (who is all loving) does the loving thing by respecting his free will and not forcing him to spend eternity with him.

3) The story of Adam and Eve is not and was never intended to be interpreted literally. As I have said before, that account of the creation of the world was most likely written in Judah about 1020-930 BC. The author had no idea how the world was created, nor did he much care. Rather, he used the story as an allegory to show life as it should be and the origins of human weakness.

4) Yes. However, this is the doctrine of faith that is integral to religion. Of course the debate will go on and on about a "proof" or "disproof" of God. Pascal's wager is also not satisfying for many (although I cannot see why). This is a real consideration, even for the most religious of people. It was just discovered, for instance, that Mother Theresa struggled with this exact question much of her life in her own faith. This, however, did not stop her from living in a Christian lifestyle and placing trust in God.

Obviously, these answers are slight, but I thought I'd offer some answers.

Of course, these responses are not meant to generate hateful replies.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

Print