Print

Author Topic: Time doesn't exist  (Read 53199 times)

« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2008, 04:49:00 PM »
The page Luigison linked brings up an excellent point:

The reason humans think they have free will (they actually don't) is because we have memory of the past but not the future.

If we had both, free will would be revealed as an obvious illusion (in fact, the idea wouldn't even exist).

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2008, 05:12:51 PM »
Yeah, well I don't believe in predestination or a single locked timeline.
That was a joke.

chucknorris

• ID:10 Tango error
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2008, 07:02:57 PM »
if you could see into the future, you'd be too paranoid to do anything, because you would look at all the negative consequences of your actions, and decide not to do anything.
How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could could chuck wood?

A wood chuck could chuck as much wood as a wood chuck could chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2008, 07:11:49 PM »
if you could see into the future, you'd be too paranoid to do anything, because you would look at all the negative consequences of your actions, and decide not to do anything.
I think you completely missed the point.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2008, 12:37:13 PM »
He also hasn't read Slaughterhouse Five apparently...

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2008, 09:57:07 PM »
The reason humans think they have free will (they actually don't) is because we have memory of the past but not the future.

One reason humans take grammar classes in middle school is so that they don't switch between the 3rd and 1st person in the same sentence.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2008, 10:08:16 PM »

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2008, 02:21:27 AM »
Gahahahaha. Intentional or not, that was hilarious.

EDIT: I had to see the image's filename in order to figure out its relevance. :/

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2010, 01:41:45 AM »
every

« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2010, 01:52:37 AM »
Two years later, I'm not convinced my sentence was grammatically flawed. I am a human, and I was writing to all humans.

« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2010, 11:09:13 AM »
I was an idiot in 2008. Not much has changed, sadly.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2010, 11:34:37 AM »
Hey, any time's good for Dorf time.

Time seems like a convenient way for us to get an idea of how long something will take, even if it's all relative. You'd think basing the time of day on where the sun is would be a good idea, but no (worked well enough back in the day though). When the seasons occur and when sunrise and sunset occur are always a bit different, and change depending on where you are. Timezones are on unusual borders, probably to force the world to have timezones that shift in half-hours roughly, but even then there's exceptions. Universal Coordinated Time or whatever you call the universal time these days wouldn't make any sense out in space. We've got leap years and leap seconds and daylight savings time to further muck things up. Think of the computer programmers, man. Think of the computer programmers!

Seems like time's a human concept to show the length between a cause and effect. But when nature's behind the cause and effect, as it often is, then there's no guarantee we know how it works because nature's still something we're trying to understand.
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2010, 01:40:51 PM »

Time exists.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2010, 01:53:57 PM »
I wrongly assumed that the universe has a beginning in my 2008 post.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2010, 10:43:48 PM »
I'm gonna hate myself for bringing this meme in, but I can't help myself
Quote from: this thread
Implying that anyone knows anything about everything

Print