Print

Author Topic: I wouldn't hit that.  (Read 24772 times)

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2009, 05:02:29 PM »
I'm used to hearing about him blowing smoke out the other end, but hey.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2009, 05:12:14 PM »
I'm used to hearing him talk sense, unlike so many other TV/Radio personalities, but hey.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2009, 08:42:29 PM »
I agree with him pretty often, but he can be a bit of a jerk. Not nearly as often as he's caricatured as being, though.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2009, 11:59:00 PM »
I like listening to Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity. I'll listen to Glenn Beck if he's on and while I agree with him politically I do think he comes off the wrong way sometimes. I don't like Michael Savage because of the comments he made towards people with disabilities (a field of psychology I have studied extensively, especially people with disabilities in an academic environment).

As far as TV, I don't really watch TV news much but I do like Fox News. Of the "big three" networks I'd pick NBC mostly because I like Brian Williams and find it to be less biased, especially when compared to Katie Couric's CBS broadcast. I don't watch CNN or C-Span and I don't read the major news magazines (Time, US News, Newsweek). I subscribe to the city's conservative newspaper and prefer that over everything else so I can pick and choose my stories--I don't care about celebrities or anything like that and usually want more business news than what the TV provides, plus I like to read my sports section.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2009, 10:11:54 PM »
Rush Limbaugh is the man. I can't ignore the fact he once was a borderline obese drug addict, but he isn't anymore (as far as I know) so I can safely say he is currently the man. Both literally and figuratively. Mark Levin is pretty okay.

Sean Hannity and Joe Scarborough are whiney, and Glenn Beck is just plain insane.

Also i'm pretty sure Keith Olbermann is the biggest ******bag on the face of the earth. He's a classic example of a giant tool in his 50s who insistently tries to appeal to the young'ins because he can't accept the fact he's almost dead.

Juan Williams on Fox News is awesome though. I like him because he's a democrat but he's a fair democrat and actually thinks intelligently about his own opinions rather than blindly following the dogma of his political affiliation.

Mann Coulter is possibly the most ignorant person in history. She respresents everything wrong with right-wingers, and the fact people consider her some sort of beautiful, conservative goddess... ughhh... it makes me want to vomit a little. I think it's been proven she has a penis.
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2009, 11:12:06 PM »
So my dad turns on Fox yesterday and I catch like twenty minutes of Glenn Beck saying that atheists and all non-Christian religions are the root of all the world's problems. He specifically mentioned the economy and inner-city violence as being the result of people not turning their lives over to God.

I swear, Beck gets exponentially stupider every time I see him. He's gone from a vaguely funny guy I vaguely disagreed with, to an obnoxiously right-wing guy I rarely ever agreed with, to a street corner fire-and-brimstone doomsday preacher. Ten bucks says next time I tune in he'll be raving about how the Jews caused all the world's wars.
every

« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2009, 11:19:38 PM »
If anything religion is the cause of society's problems.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2009, 11:32:29 PM »
Define "society".
That was a joke.

« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2009, 11:45:37 PM »
How about...creationism (AKA Glenn Beck's ideology) is a major hindrance to scientific advances and progressive policies aimed at providing civil liberties to women and gays. Also, many creationists (like Beck) believe Jesus will return in their lifetime which is not conducive to long-term governmental policies.

"Societies are characterized by patterns of relationships between individuals that share a distinctive culture and institutions."

I probably shouldn't have said "religion is the cause of society's problems" because many religions influence culture and/or institutions in a positive way.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2009, 12:28:56 AM »
I don't think its fair to blame religion for the problems of the world, considering these conflicts arise due to man's ignorance and inability to practice their faiths correctly. It's like the old saying with firearms... Guns don't kill people, criminals do.

Of course, that doesn't really help my point if you're pro-gun-control...
= = = = = = =

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2009, 04:20:55 PM »
Well, I am pro-gun-control, but your point is still valid. Religion, on its own, is a wonderful thing. It allows people to feel safer about the reasonably-terrible world we live in, thinking that everything is part of a big plan or whatnot. If anything, I would love to be able to convince myself to earnestly hop on the religion train; I honestly have no idea how I'll handle myself when I'm about to die.

So, yeah, it's unfair to blame religion for pretty much any problem. It's the people who interpret religion in hateful or destructive ways, or justify immoral actions with religion, or try to impose their religion on others (tl;dr: Glenn Beck), that cause problems.
every

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2009, 08:48:07 PM »
Rush Limbaugh compared George Bush to Jesus--my ass, he's talking sense.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2009, 07:27:25 PM »
Rush Limbaugh compared George Bush to Jesus--my ass, he's talking sense.

Source.
= = = = = = =

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2009, 09:22:42 PM »
There was some book on him I saw at the library. One quote from him cited was something along the lines of "All I'm saying is George Bush is doing what Jesus would've done."

« Reply #59 on: October 04, 2009, 09:28:26 PM »
Sorry, but Rush is arrogant enough to say that. It's completely believable.

Oh yeah, he's "the man" alright. What an upstanding citizen he is. Here's a nice little video of him taunting Michael J. Fox for "exaggerating" his illness.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 11:00:51 PM by PaperLuigi »

Print