Poll

Is this bill a good idea?

Yes
No
It's not sufficient
Print

Author Topic: Cap and Trade Legislation  (Read 14687 times)

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« on: June 24, 2009, 07:02:24 PM »
So what about this cap and trade thing that's expected to be voted on by Friday?

Is it a necessary step to reduce "climate change" or just more of the government butting in to our lives?

Anyone who knows my opinions already knows my take on the issue.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 07:05:04 PM »
The fact that they're squeezing such an important bill in so quickly while everyone's mind is on healthcare and Iran is a bit suspect.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 09:01:33 PM »
It passed the House.  Is no one else even remotely concerned about what this is going to do to our economy?

Does anyone even know?  This bill is larger than the New Testament; who's actually read it to know what they're voting on?

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 09:07:39 PM »
I'm as concerned about what the bill will do the economy as you are concerned about what it will do to the environment.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 09:25:21 PM »
This will cause taxes and the prices of certain things to go up, while it's not proven that it will have any effect on the environment at all.

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 09:36:54 PM »
Well dang, I guess we shouldn't try it then.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 10:27:56 PM »
Not until we know for sure that there's a good reason for making people pay all that extra money.  God knows now is a terrible time to impose a new tax.

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 10:43:18 PM »
Agreed. The government will have a lot more spare money to pay for this after the debt-ridden Californian government is underwater.

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 10:32:24 PM »
I doubt that they've even researched the fact that this will help the environment.  That sounds like just another excuse to justify a huge tax increase.  Meanwhile, the government keeps on getting bigger and bigger, and nobody in Congress or the White House is doing much about it.
-------------

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 07:49:01 AM »
That's because it's according to the plans of Congress and the White House.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 01:23:58 PM »
Agreed. The government will have a lot more spare money to pay for this after the debt-ridden Californian government is underwater.
The notoriously liberal state of California may be debt-riden, but they are one of the few states that consistently pay more to the federal government than they receive, and I'm not saying that just because I lived there.  I grew up in the very conservative state of Mississippi and they have very high tax spending while maintaining a relatively high unemployment rate and poor health care.  If you want the federal government to have money to spare then have them stop giving to the wasteful states colored in this map:  http://www.giveupblog.com/maps/map9.jpg  BTW, I'm not using the terms liberal and conservative in the financial sense here, but if I were I'd have to switch them. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2009, 04:26:17 PM »
Thanks for the correction. Even though it was the basis for just a joke, I like them to be factually accurate.

Turtlekid: Agreed. The government will have a lot more spare money to pay for this after the debt-ridden North Carolinan government is underwater.

Print