Print

Author Topic: OMGlobalWarmingTFHAX  (Read 19915 times)

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« on: November 21, 2009, 04:52:11 PM »
E-mails of several "climate scientists" have been hacked to reveal some apparently shady dealings.

What's up with this?  Is there anything to it?  And why do I get the feeling that not a peep about it will be heard on the evening news? 
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 05:19:16 PM »
Yes, I heard about this... well, it's odd, to say the least. I mean, the only motivation I can think of to fudge the facts is to save face--what else is there to gain from falsifying this kind of information? Assuming this is even being interpreted correctly. If it is, though--but, as usual, we'll probably never know--I faintly tip my hat to those hackers.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 08:41:11 PM »
Yes, I heard about this... well, it's odd, to say the least. I mean, the only motivation I can think of to fudge the facts is to save face--what else is there to gain from falsifying this kind of information?

Well, you have to consider that any laws passed to "prevent" "climate change" would mean higher taxes and government restrictions.  In other words, money and power.  This whole debate is a big part of the reason I don't really care for politics and politicians.  They expect the People to live by one set of rules and themselves to live by another.

Even if Global Warming were a threat and caused by man, I don't think it's a good idea for the government to force laws and bureaucracies concerning it on people (which is the same reason I'm against government-run healthcare).

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/11/20/climate-depot-everything_n_365754.html

Not to be mean, but that link really doesn't do anything to refute the claims and questions raised by the hacked e-mails.  It's basically just an article telling people that those who argue with climate change are dangerous idiots.

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 09:04:06 PM »
The extent to which this whole scandal reflects 1984 is uncanny, and thus rather unsettling: There's just one more major organization whose credibility has been tainted beyond repair, although nobody's going to do anything about it. The whole issue will be forgotten in due time, as suspending one's belief in currently-accepted scientific thought makes one a cretinous fanatic.

...If that made any sense.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 09:29:04 PM »
Not to be mean, but that link really doesn't do anything to refute the claims and questions raised by the hacked e-mails.  It's basically just an article telling people that those who argue with climate change are dangerous idiots.

*sigh*

Well then if you don't mind reading the much longer version:

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2009/11/the-cru-hack/

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 09:31:41 PM »
Well, you have to consider that any laws passed to "prevent" "climate change" would mean higher taxes and government restrictions.

Yeah, no [dukar]. Everything the government does requires taxes. The Iraq War, which sucked taxpayers and our federal budget dry, comes to mind. Sadly, most conservatives leave out that little tidbit when discussing Obama's policies. "OH NOES WE ARE SPENDIN' TOO MUCH MONEH!!" Give me a break. I guess it's fine when it comes to blowing [dukar] up but when it comes to health care and environmental legislation it's undoable. Also, government restrictions are needed to stop corporations from exploiting workers.

I don't want less government, I want an effective government that does its job.

It's basically just an article telling people that those who argue with climate change are dangerous idiots.

Glenn Beck is a dangerous idiot even without the climate change debate.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 09:45:10 PM by PaperLuigi »

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 09:58:14 PM »
Yeah, no [dukar]. Everything the government does requires taxes. The Iraq War, which sucked taxpayers and our federal budget dry, comes to mind. Sadly, most conservatives leave out that little tidbit when discussing Obama's policies. "OH NOES WE ARE SPENDIN' TOO MUCH MONEH!!" Give me a break. I guess it's fine when it comes to blowing [dukar] up but when it comes to health care and environmental legislation it's undoable. Also, government restrictions are needed to stop corporations from exploiting workers.

I don't want less government, I want an effective government that does its job.

I don't recall ever saying that the war in Iraq was a good idea (it was not), but I do certainly recall saying (with slightly better grammar) that we are spending way too much.  We were spending too much with Bush as president, and I'm not arguing with that.  But the fact is, we're spending so much more with Obama.  What's more, the provision of a military and police force is the one thing government is supposed to be doing (and guess what areas are the first to get budget cuts?).  And it's funny that you should talk about the government preventing the exploitation of the working class, because the government is the main "corporation" that's screwing them over right now (and that's exactly what the state has become; a corporation).

I also want a government that does its job, but as I touched on before, we unfortunately disagree on what that job is.  The government's duty to protect the people from threats both foreign and domestic has been skewed so much over the years that the system the founding fathers put in place is no longer recognizable (which is also the fault of the church giving ground on its duties of caring for the poor).  It's been turned from a system of law and order that delivers justice to the people into a cranky, fat old nanny that force feeds you castor oil and dresses you up in sailor suits.  The government isn't supposed to teach [indoctrinate] your children or provide you with healthcare.  The war with Britain was started over unfair and unwanted taxes that were only a fraction of what we're seeing now.  What would the early patriots think of our government today?

EDIT:

Glenn Beck is a dangerous idiot even without the climate change debate.

He may get mean and sarcastic, but he is most certainly not dangerous or an idiot.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 09:59:57 PM by Turtlekid1 »

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009, 12:53:15 AM »
Shady dealings? [wtd]? Those email excerpts contained nothing shady.

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009, 09:33:48 AM »
What's more, the provision of a military and police force is the one thing government is supposed to be doing (and guess what areas are the first to get budget cuts?).

I say let's do it. We need to cut military spending to pay for health care and the environment.

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2009, 09:38:55 AM »
The government isn't supposed to teach [indoctrinate] your children or provide you with healthcare.

It is so so so easy for you to say that because you're not living in poverty without health insurance.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2009, 10:42:26 AM »
So the church is supposed to indoctrinate your children?
I'd much rather be provided with the ability to make my own conclusions.
That was a joke.

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2009, 10:51:52 AM »
I do not understand why most Christians are conservative.

Deut. 15:7: "If there is a poor man among you, one of your brothers, in any of the towns of the land which the LORD your God is giving you, you shall not harden your heart, nor close your hand to your poor brother; but you shall freely open your hand to him, and generously lend him sufficient for his need in whatever he lacks."

Jer. 22:3: "Do justice and righteousness, and deliver the one who has been robbed from the power of his oppressor. Also do not mistreat or do violence to the stranger, the orphan, or the widow; and do not shed innocent blood in this place."

Ezek. 16:49: "Behold, this was the guilt of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had arrogance, abundant food, and careless ease, but she did not help the poor and needy. Thus they were haughty and committed abominations before Me. Therefore I removed them when I saw it."

Do these passages not mean anything to you? We should be happy that the government is finally creating legislation aimed at aiding the needy. It's stupid to rationalize not helping them by saying "Oh, but it's the church's job to do that!" It's everyone's job.

EDIT: Actually it's because most American Christians are more concerned with limiting the rights of homosexuals that they're conservative.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 11:01:53 AM by PaperLuigi »

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2009, 11:21:13 AM »
I say let's do it. We need to cut military spending to pay for health care and the environment.

Again, that's not the state's concern.  If the church were doing what it's supposed to, and if these "scientists" were being scientific, then there would be no need for government welfare, and no need for taxes and sanctions sending people back to the stone age (because people would realize that there is no man-made climate change).

It is so so so easy for you to say that because you're not living in poverty without health insurance.

With all due respect, you have no idea as to my quality of life.  I won't hide the fact that money is extremely tight around here, as it is with most middle class families.  Poverty?  Maybe not.  But my family certainly doesn't have the money to pay for those who won't earn their own way.

So the church is supposed to indoctrinate your children?
I'd much rather be provided with the ability to make my own conclusions.

Not the church, the parents.  They're those wonderful folks who gave birth to you and provide food and shelter to you the first 18 years of your life, and they're not supposed to send you to dayca--I mean, public school instead of taking responsiblity.  Sorry if I implied otherwise.  And I'm sorry if you honestly think the government lets any children come to their own conclusions. 

I do not understand why most Christians are conservative.

Deut. 15:7: "If there is a poor man among you, one of your brothers, in any of the towns of the land which the LORD your God is giving you, you shall not harden your heart, nor close your hand to your poor brother; but you shall freely open your hand to him, and generously lend him sufficient for his need in whatever he lacks."

Jer. 22:3: "Do justice and righteousness, and deliver the one who has been robbed from the power of his oppressor. Also do not mistreat or do violence to the stranger, the orphan, or the widow; and do not shed innocent blood in this place."

Ezek. 16:49: "Behold, this was the guilt of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had arrogance, abundant food, and careless ease, but she did not help the poor and needy. Thus they were haughty and committed abominations before Me. Therefore I removed them when I saw it."

Do these passages not mean anything to you? We should be happy that the government is finally creating legislation aimed at aiding the needy. It's stupid to rationalize not helping them by saying "Oh, but it's the church's job to do that!" It's everyone's job.

EDIT: Actually it's because most American Christians are more concerned with limiting the rights of homosexuals that they're conservative.

All right, let's make this perfectly clear, right here and right now before I'm made out to be an insensitive jerk (oops, too late for that).  I do not disagree that people who can afford to do so should take care of the poor.  If you want to donate money to charity or buy a homeless person a meal, more power to you, and God Bless you for it.

What I do not agree with is the idea that the government should force a man to pay his neighbor's way.  Not only is the coercion in itself wrong, the act of providing for the less fortunate ceases to become a good deed.  I'm not rationalizing not helping the poor by saying it's the church's job, I'm saying that the church is just as guilty in this area as the government.  And no, caring for the poor is not everyone's job.  What about those who are working hard and just making ends meet (largely as the result of unnecessary taxes)?  Are you really going to tax them into the poverty you claim to hate, and make them dependent on welfare?  Charity should not be imposed, and when it is, it's not charity anyway. 

And it's funny that you quote a passage mentioning the sins and faults of Sodom, and then make a statement supporting homosexuality a few sentences later.  (And I do support gay rights, in that their preferences should not affect their being employed or their joining the military.)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 11:23:18 AM by Turtlekid1 »

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2009, 04:30:47 PM »
Again, that's not the state's concern.  If the church were doing what it's supposed to, and if these "scientists" were being scientific, then there would be no need for government welfare, and no need for taxes and sanctions sending people back to the stone age (because people would realize that there is no man-made climate change).

The ice caps are melting away because we're adding 4 billion tons of carbon to our atmosphere each year. Global climate change is manmade.

With all due respect, you have no idea as to my quality of life.  I won't hide the fact that money is extremely tight around here, as it is with most middle class families.  Poverty?  Maybe not.  But my family certainly doesn't have the money to pay for those who won't earn their own way.

I hate it when people use this argument. "People are in poverty so they must not be working hard enough!" You at least have health insurance, yes?

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2009, 04:36:50 PM »
And it's funny that you quote a passage mentioning the sins and faults of Sodom, and then make a statement supporting homosexuality a few sentences later.  (And I do support gay rights, in that their preferences should not affect their being employed or their joining the military.)

http://www.gaychurch.org/gay_and_christian_yes/calling_the_rainbow_nation_home/7_gac_the_clobber_passages.htm

So many ways of interpreting clobber passages like Leviticus 18:22. 

EDIT: Yeah, this topic has been derailed. I don't really care.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 11:57:23 PM by PaperLuigi »

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2009, 05:12:28 PM »

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2009, 05:38:44 PM »
So many ways of interpreting clobber passages like Leviticus 18:22. This website saved my faith.

"Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God?  Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God."
-1 Corinthians 6:9-10

A condemnation of homosexuality isn't exclusive to Leviticus.  And as the word "Arsenokoitais" has been translated to mean "homosexual" from the very beginning, and since the learned men who translated it in the first place were not idiots, I'm going to have to disagree with that slap in the face to William Tyndale.

By the way, since murder and thievery are also condemned in Leviticus, are they now acceptable?

Just because something isn't a crime doesn't mean it's not a sin; just because something isn't illegal doesn't mean it's not immoral.

Moreover, anything that Jesus didn't abrogate in the New Testament should still be considered valid.  He abrogated ceremonial/dietary law, not moral law.  There's a difference between the two.

EDIT: Just so the topic is not completely derailed...
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 05:49:32 PM by Turtlekid1 »

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2009, 06:10:08 PM »
Multiple derailments (well, maybe just mutations of the current topic) notwithstanding, I'd just like to say that I feel a whole lot better about a point someone's trying to make when... well, when I know what it is. So, to clarify: The thing I am supposed to think when I read this article is that... (man-made) global warming is a hoax? That the people in charge of distributing information concerning it want to look good?

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2009, 06:36:43 PM »
By the way, since murder and thievery are also condemned in Leviticus, are they now acceptable?

Not at all. Passages condemning murder and thievery have always been interpreted that way by liberal and conservative theologians alike.

However, a conservative interpretation of Deuteronomy says we should stone our children to death if they're unruly. Way to pick and choose your passages.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2009, 06:47:11 PM »
Like I said, crime and sin are not always the same thing.  What was considered a crime punishable by death in a theocracy like the one in Moses' time shouldn't necessarily in a Democratic Republic.  That doesn't make it less immoral, it just means it doesn't need to be considered a crime.

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2009, 07:00:02 PM »
So then gays should be allowed to marry, right?

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2009, 07:02:16 PM »
No, because Marriage is an inherently Biblical ceremony that human law should have no part of.

A better question would be why homosexuals would want to participate in such an obviously Christian institution.

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2009, 07:08:32 PM »
No, because Marriage is an inherently Biblical ceremony that human law should have no part of.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA no it's not. No it's freaking not. A couple does not need to comply with any religious requirement to obtain a marriage license, nor does the license confer any religious approval.

People married long before the Bible was written (see ancient Chinese society).

EDIT: Also, homosexuals want to participate because a lot of them are Christian.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 07:12:09 PM by PaperLuigi »

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2009, 07:13:14 PM »
A government-issued marriage license doth not a marriage make.  I'm talking about an actual marriage, sanctioned by God, not government (who have no authority to do that). 

In a perfect world, government wouldn't make any laws restricting gay marriage because marriage would have stayed within the church, and the church would interpret scripture correctly and not allow homosexuality.

As I've said before, if they want the tax and financial benefits of marriage, then they should just get a civil union.

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2009, 07:21:29 PM »
A government-issued marriage license doth not a marriage make.  I'm talking about an actual marriage, sanctioned by God, not government (who have no authority to do that). 

Can you not read? People were getting married long before any concept of God was brought into existence!

In a perfect world, government wouldn't make any laws restricting gay marriage because marriage would have stayed within the church, and the church would interpret scripture correctly and not allow homosexuality.

Again, I just said that marriage is not a religious institution.

As I've said before, if they want the tax and financial benefits of marriage, then they should just get a civil union.

Screw that. That's like that whole "separate but equal" bull[dukar] they were toting around in 1896.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2009, 07:29:25 PM »
Adam was created before Eve and had knowledge of God before she was created, did he not?  God's creation of Eve was the first marriage, was it not?  I don't remember saying anything about it being instituted by religion (man); it was instituted by God.  Even if we hadn't known God in the beginning, that would still be irrelevant.

And how does the church's not allowing gay marriage make gays any less equal as people?  They still have the same constitutional rights as anyone else, of which marriage is not one.

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2009, 07:37:41 PM »
I cannot debate with you further. If you honestly believe that the earth is 6,000 years old and that Adam and Eve were the first humans, then no amount of scientific evidence will change your mind. Sorry.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2009, 07:38:38 PM »
I also don't remember saying the earth was 6000 years old.  However, no scientific evidence can prove Adam and Eve weren't the first humans.

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2009, 07:41:57 PM »
Which is exactly why our debate is done.

« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2009, 10:35:04 PM »
Science is about figuring out the world using what we can actually see, not disproving vague myths that morons make up.

« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2009, 10:56:07 PM »
I am not open to religion

And therefore it's wrong

« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2009, 11:16:15 PM »
I said nothing like that.

« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2009, 12:55:51 AM »
not disproving vague myths that morons make up.

Well, you're correct, but it does a mighty fine job regardless.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2009, 01:14:16 AM »
I was speaking earlier to a friend of how I wanted to go find an old Ford F-350 diesel that's vomiting smoke and leaking coolant & oil with mud caked all over it... and go find a group of greenies/gun control advocates while waving my rifle around and see how many of them I could get to start crying... then I found this:

Formerly quite reasonable.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2009, 07:44:14 AM »
I have but one more thing to say on the matter to all global warming naysayers (yes, I don't want to go off-topic yet): So, you're telling me that if we pump liquid dead animals and a bunch of other crap into the sky 24/7, 365 days a year, nothing will happen?

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2009, 08:09:40 AM »
I'm not telling you to pollute as much as you please, but CO2, among other things, does not affect global temperature.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2009, 08:17:02 AM »
Well, then what does? If anything, it's certainly not healthy to breathe and it makes the sky look crappy.

« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2009, 09:30:11 AM »
No, you're wrong. Carbon dioxide does affect global temperature.

Yes, the earth DOES need carbon dioxide! In the absence of the it, the Earth's average surface temperature of 57 °F could be as low as −0.4 °F! The greenhouse effect is a good thing.

BUT WHAT WE'RE DOING IS BAD BECAUSE IT'S LEADING TO AN AMPLIFIED GREENHOUSE EFFECT. When an object is struck by solar radiation, it either reflects it or absorbs it and remits it as heat (infrared). Carbon dioxide traps the reflected radiation and instead remits it as heat. The more carbon dioxide, well...you do the math. This is very basic science. Very basic.

Right now, there is about 800 billion tons of carbon in the atmosphere (200 billion more than pre-Industrial Revolution levels). We're putting 7 billion more tons of carbon into the atmosphere each year. By 2055, that's supposed to double (more people, more carbon dioxide). 1,200 billion tons of carbon dioxide by the end of the century people...pay attention to the science, not the politicians.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2009, 11:02:20 AM »

« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2009, 11:10:15 AM »
Do you actually watch any of the videos you post?

« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2009, 11:18:41 AM »
By the way I don't like Al Gore anymore than you do. He's a hypocrite.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2009, 07:57:22 PM »
I just don't believe one bit that "global warming" is 100% man-made. I'm on the bandwagon that states: "The earth has natural warming/cooling periods which happens over many years... so stfu.... we're not warming up dangerously."

[darn] greenies. No one can respect people's decisions or beliefs.

Hardcore greenies are the ones who get in your face and say, "drive a hybrid, recycle everything, use gray water, use solar panels, invest in windmills, and reduce your carbon footprint" and if you decline, you're labelled as a horrible person who wants the planet to die. (I'm not against recycling, btw.) You get labelled as this oil industry cronie and you're shoved into the DRILL DRILL DRILL NUCLEAR NUCLEAR NUCLEAR group of people.

So if they can say that, why can I not call them whiny ******-ass ****ers that are constantly *****in' & moanin' about anything they can possibly ***** about... and cry every time they see a car spewing blue smoke or see that their car their mom bought has leather seats? When I think of the hardcore greenies as a whole, Chris Crocker and his stupid ass videos come to mind.

Speaking of leather seats.... true story:

Ethan Asbury wanted a Mustang for his 16th birthday. His mom was a teacher (and a very rude one at that). He was a hardcore greenie. When his mom drove up in his new Mustang, he was so excited. He looked in the car and saw that it had leather seats. What'd he do? Start bawling like a little baby saying "FORD KILLED COWS FOR THESE SEATS WAAAAHHH"

Kicker: The seats were made of synthetic leather.

« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2009, 10:47:33 PM »
Not all "greenies" are like that. Yeah, some of them are whiny *****es, but it goes both ways.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2009, 11:44:16 PM »
Hardcore greenies are the ones who get in your face and say...

When I think of the hardcore greenies as a whole, Chris Crocker and his stupid ass videos come to mind.

PaperLuigi: That's what I meant. I just didn't want to write out "hardcore greenies" 50 times.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 11:46:48 PM by Trainman »

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2009, 11:57:31 PM »
Yeah, you can't really even say that though. Since you just made up what a "hardcore greenie" was.
That was a joke.

« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2009, 11:18:50 AM »
All "greenies" want the same goal: a safer, cleaner environment for the future and for our children. There's no such thing as a "hardcore" greenie.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2009, 11:52:20 AM »
Well, everyone wants a safer, cleaner environment.  If all it takes to be an environmentalist is taking care of the earth (as is commanded by God in Genesis), then sign me up.

The problem arises when radical environmentalists (hereafter labeled "greenies") try to take away the rights of the working man in the name of protecting the earth.  This may come as a shock, but the earth is a remarkably sturdy piece of work.  Does that mean we have license to pollute and demolish it as we see fit?  I should certainly hope not.  But it's rather foolish to think that a bunch of insignificant ants (hereafter labeled "mankind") can affect the planet as much as some are suggesting in such a short amount of time.

Of course, when the politicians realized the concept and theory of global warming could give them an excuse to exert more control over the taxpayers, they were all but sold.  That's the way dictators come into power; they take advantage of a crisis (which may or may not be real) and muscle in when everyone else is losing his head. 

It's utterly backwards to put the well-being of plants and animals above that of man, and just as backwards to send our level of technology back into medieval times over a theory that hasn't been and will never be proven scientifically.  What are you going to do if a country, say, China, doesn't agree to cut their emissions (and it doesn't appear that they will)?  Are you going to go to war over it?  That's a bit extreme.  Are you going to impose trade embargoes on them?  That might work if we weren't up to our eyeballs in debt to them.  This is all to say nothing of developing countries in Africa.  Is it really fair to them to impose restricting carbon emissions?  The DDT scare has already prevented their growth and success once, and in my opinion, that's one time too many.

There are good people like you, PL, who legitimately care about our well-being, and then there are the politicians and fear mongers who care only about the money and power to be gained.  The latter ones, who want to halt the People's way of life for nothing, are the ones I have a beef with.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2009, 12:15:18 PM »
Okay, it's honestly pretty stupid to say that humans are more important than plants. Without plants, humans wouldn't be able to breathe the air. The well-being of plants is required for the well-being of people. Also you need plants to absorb all the extra CO2 in the atmosphere.
That was a joke.

« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2009, 01:34:51 PM »
It's utterly backwards to put the well-being of plants and animals above that of man, and just as backwards to send our level of technology back into medieval times over a theory that hasn't been and will never be proven scientifically. 

We won't be though. A lot of jobs will be created if our government invests in green technology. The only loser will be the oil industry.

« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2009, 02:52:14 PM »
Okay, it's honestly pretty stupid to say that humans are more important than plants.

That depends on how one defines "important". It's true from a scientific standpoint, but little else.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2009, 03:00:11 PM »
Being alive is a pretty important thing for me.
That was a joke.

« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2009, 06:50:59 PM »
Nature has an aesthetic value, perhaps more so than humans.

We can't survive without it. We need to do our best to preserve it even if it isn't in danger.

Print