Print

Author Topic: Ann Coulter causes a firestorm in Canada's capital  (Read 9885 times)

« on: March 24, 2010, 06:45:23 PM »
Everyone's favourite ultra-conservative boderline hatemonger, Ann Coulter, has cancelled her appearance at the University of Ottawa after receiving a less-than-warm welcome from locals and a stern warning regarding "freedom of speech" from the university's provost. Apparently, her views are so controversial that her statements could fall within the realm of hate speech, a criminal offence in Canada. It should be noted, however, that Coulter's organizers, not the university, are responsible for cancelling her Ottawa appearance, due to "security concerns", AKA getting her head blasted off. Coulter's statements in response to the controversy are included here, by the way.

Personally, I'm simultaneously relieved and peeved to know that Coulter won't be speaking on Ottawa. For the former, she's a crazy ***** who poses an embarrassment to conservatives and Christians alike. However, it's aggravating to know that a liberal nutjob with equally extreme views would undoubtedly be lauded here, and, additionally, several of her comments following the cancellation were quite poignant, albeit outrageous.

So, does such a controversial figure need a muzzle for society's sake? Were Coulter's protesters justified, or are they just as guilty of intolerance as the woman herself? Do her viewpoints hold any credibility whatsoever?
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 06:29:49 AM »
Too bad she won't be able to get her head blown off now....
I only watch [adult swim]

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 06:36:45 AM »
I don't know much about Ann Coulter, but you make a good point about a liberal still being allowed to speak in a similar situation.  That said, I'm not sure I like a lot of Fox News commentators' methods of expression, but I do agree with them in essentials (Glenn Beck, for example, makes good points, but he can get pretty intense sometimes), so chances are I'd be more sympathetic with Ms. Coulter than the average bear.

Also, the concept of "hate speech" is a terrible one.  I'm not sure about you guys up there, but the First Amendment down here means we should be able to speak out against (or for) anything or anyone we want.  Of course, in today's age of being paralyzed for fear of offending someone or a group of someones, the idea of Freedom of Speech and Press also seems to be under attack.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Rao

• Arr! Ay! Oh!
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 11:28:32 AM »
Stop whining.
What's your problem, Cambodian?

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 11:51:50 AM »
I agree with Turtlekid. I hate Ann Coulter, but she should be able to speak her mind.

It's because I can say that I hate her without being jailed that I support her right to spew hate. She'll be subject to intense scrutiny, but still.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 11:53:58 AM by PaperLuigi »
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 02:29:24 PM »
That was a joke.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 03:15:50 PM »
Anne Coulter? That ***** be uuuugly, ya mean?
every

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 03:56:46 PM »
She's a hate spewing, idiotic *****. Also, she has a very prominent adam's apple.

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 06:51:31 PM »
I'm not sure about you guys up there

The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms grants freedom of speech and the like, of course. However, sections 318 and 319 of the Criminal Code of Canada expressly prohibit "advocating genocide" and "publicly inciting hatred" against an "identifiable group". Thus, Coulter could legally blame all the world's woes on any people group of her choosing, but not incite discrimination or crimes against them.

Anne Coulter? That ***** be uuuugly, ya mean?

Pretty much. I'd say that she falls into the "shame about the face" category:

YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 01:42:40 PM »
every

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 03:56:46 PM »
gross

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010, 04:06:59 PM »
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2010, 04:09:30 PM »
gross.... just gross.

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2010, 05:48:29 PM »
Really gross. Canadians are close minded liberals (not all and no offense; it just seems that way).
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2010, 05:59:27 PM »
It's impossible to be close-minded and liberal.

Print