Print

Author Topic: Ann Coulter causes a firestorm in Canada's capital  (Read 9886 times)

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2010, 06:11:19 PM »
That idea in itself is close-minded.  It's possible to be open-minded and conservative; closed-minded and conservative; open-minded and liberal; and close-minded and liberal.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2010, 06:13:54 PM »
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/liberal

Note the broad-minded definition.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2010, 06:17:27 PM »
Not really. Many liberals hold their position and refuse to consider the alternatives. In Canada, they have a nasty habit of kissing minorities' asses to make themselves look good, and accusing all who disagree with their actions of discrimination.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2010, 06:46:22 PM »
I had a professor last semester who would often find excuses to go off on a tangent and give a ten-minute lecture on how the "collective human animal" needs to stop beating itself up and we must all come together as one in peace and love and harmony. This was often followed immediately by a ten-minute tirade about how any politician he disagreed with (e.g., Bush, Cheney, Lieberman) was a "treasonous, Jello-spined *******" who should be assassinated. He never saw the contradiction in effectively saying "Everyone needs to love each other, and if you're part of the 50% of the country that's not loving enough, I hate you."

If you only do good to those who do good to you, what good is that? Even the tax collectors do that. What ****ed me off so much about that guy was that he was doing the same thing everyone does -- the bare minimum of loving only the people who love him -- but he thought that because he was doing it, it made him morally superior. You guys are evil because you hate me, and I hate you for that, which is okay for me to do because you're evil.

So yeah, [people who politically identify as] liberals can definitely be closed-minded, just like the rest of us. I would venture to say that even most people who seem open-minded tend to just be open-minded to people who are open-minded the same way they are. And everyone is that way. But the ones who do it and call it open-mindedness get societal brownie points for being the right kind of closed-minded.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2010, 07:03:38 PM »
Nothing more than frustration really, people tend to resort to that when things aren't going the way they like.
I only watch [adult swim]

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2010, 09:59:12 PM »
I'm constantly reevaluating and changing my thoughts and position on things based on my most recent information. Why isn't everyone else?
That was a joke.

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2010, 12:34:52 AM »
That's how science works. People aren't constantly reevaluating their positions because of preconceived notions and dogma.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2010, 02:46:03 PM »
No, they're retaining static ideas because of preconceived notions and dogma instead.
That was a joke.

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2010, 09:21:41 PM »
At the request of PL:

YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2010, 09:23:08 PM »
Mann Coulter

Print