Print

Author Topic: Sharron Angle  (Read 15086 times)

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2010, 01:18:51 PM »
Because kids in public schools never turn out to be closed-minded or ill-adjusted or disapproving of people who aren't like them.

There are neighbors. There are group homeschool things. There are plenty of opportunities for kids to have social interactions and turn out normal regardless of the school they go to. Crazy parents don't stop being crazy just because their kids are going to public school (and probably getting bullied because they have crazy parents). The normality of your psyche is not solely determined by the kind of school you go to.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2010, 01:46:11 PM »
Indeed, many of our greatest presidents were homeschooled.

Then again, that was back when humankind's understanding of science was relatively small. Parents aren't always equipped to teach that kind of stuff.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 01:47:59 PM by PaperLuigi »
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2010, 03:26:46 PM »
Guys, just to let you know, I was homeschooled.

« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2010, 03:31:22 PM »
I do see Glorb's point: this is my small take on what I think he's saying: (not an argument)

You need to have your own natural experiences in life that are not pre-conditioned otherwise you won't know how to make connections with most people; which will aid you greatly in the long run. Both homeschool and public-school environments have their advantages and disadvantages just like everything else does.
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2010, 07:00:22 PM »
Pretty much.

I'm not demonizing homeschool just for kicks or to jump on any bandwagon. I'm just saying that life is a lot bigger than your living room and your mom and pop, and that the sooner you discover that sad fact, the better. CrossEyed keeps dancing around the issue by bringing up cases that are the exception, not the rule. I've known so, so many people in school that had terrible-ass parents; now imagine if the vast majority of their social circle consisted of those parents and a handful of parent-approved friends.

And even having entirely nice and well-meaning parents isn't enough. My parents are awesome people, but they sure as hell didn't teach me how to make friends, talk to girls, or defend myself in a fight. Those are things you need to learn on your own.
every

« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2010, 07:52:09 PM »
I'm just saying that life is a lot bigger than your living room and your mom and pop, and that the sooner you discover that sad fact, the better.

Actually, I've known that fact for about as far back as I can remember. Seriously.

My parents are awesome people, but they sure as hell didn't teach me how to make friends, talk to girls, or defend myself in a fight.

Neither did mine.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2010, 10:33:51 PM »
You think I'm just dealing with idealized exceptions here? Maybe I wasn't clear enough. I was homeschooled through 7th grade. My oldest sibling wasn't born until I was in 2nd grade, and we lived in the middle of nowhere with no neighbors, so I had virtually no social interactions whatsoever. When I got dropped into 8th grade at a private school, at the age of 11, it was hell. One of my best friends was homeschooled all the way through 12th, moved constantly, and rarely if ever had any neighbors anywhere near her age. Her mother was a fundamentalist, mentally unstable, and abusive.

Though we both turned out all right, I'll be the first to say that neither of us should have been homeschooled. But that doesn't mean it should be outlawed.

Ultimately, though, we're really just dealing in stereotypes and anecdotes here. Unless one of us finds some statistics or studies or something, this can't really go any further.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2010, 11:48:14 PM »
83% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

I have a friend who was pulled out of public school in 7th grade to be homeschooled for the rest of is school career (I assume. He moved away after 8th grade and we just recently met eachother again on Facebook). He is a nuresing assistant and has great social skills.

Just throwing that out there.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Jman

• Score
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2010, 10:41:23 AM »
I was homeschooled, then went to public school in 9th grade.  I like to think I turned out pretty well.  I believe what I believe, and I have a good set of friends.  I wouldn't have it any other way.
I always figured "Time to tip the scales" was Wario's everyday motto.

« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2010, 11:07:29 AM »
Where or how did you make friends before going to public school? Aside from church and neighbours, I can't think of many natural friend-making outlets for homeschooled kids.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2010, 11:26:42 AM »
Homeschool groups, music lessons, dancing lessons, etc.
Also dude I hate to tell you this but people had friends before public school was the norm.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 11:33:23 AM by Chupperson Weird »
That was a joke.

« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2010, 11:48:36 AM »
I never was home-schooled and look at how I turned out.
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2010, 11:55:27 AM »
...uh.....

Print