Print

Author Topic: "get into this here"  (Read 5060 times)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« on: December 14, 2010, 09:33:08 PM »
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 09:36:35 PM »
Said scientists are asserting as fact things that they cannot prove to be scientific fact.

/thread
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 09:39:00 PM »
Since when did Luigison become the new Glorb?
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 10:00:39 PM »
Seeing as how arguments with Turtlekid typically hit a brick wall after a certain point, the futility of continuing this thread is apparent.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 10:01:11 PM »
Luigison, I like your style.

Turtlekid, I'm afraid you'll need to be more specific.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 06:49:30 PM »
Said Turtlekid1 is asserting as fact things that he cannot prove to be fact or is unwilling to do so in this thread.  (If I missed something in another thread please link me there.)

Turtlekid1, I didn't make this thread as a joke, jab at you, or to turn it into some kind of game or meme.  I was hoping for an intellectual discussion.   
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 06:54:43 PM »
The term "map" as in "Scientists have mapped out the past" implies that it's possible to provide details with 100% accurate and reliable proof.  A general idea?  Maybe.  But not with the level of detail that certain "scientists" like to think.

While on the subject, I think I should just say that the past and the future are two different things, and to assume that we can know one just by knowing the other is... unwise.

Off-topic, LD would say that Luigison attended the Turtlekid School of Argumentation.

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 05:15:58 PM »
I agree with Turtlekid1. It doesn't even matter that predicting the weather and the future are two different things; if we don't even know how a section of the Earth will be in a week, how will we know what the entire planet is going to be like billions of years from now? Remember the dinosaurs? We don't even know what colors they were. There can always be estimates, but there is still a sense of doubt. No one knows when the next Noah's Ark will occur.

This reminds me of a bogus Yahoo! article I read once that showed a discovery scientists found. These scientists said that through "research," they found that people maintain the same personalities throughout their entire lives. If that was the case, how come I know many people that have changed immensely? This proves that scientists are even willing to make things up to gain recognition/fame.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 05:18:03 PM by Kimimaru »
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 04:51:53 PM »
Everything turns into a power play sooner or later.  If there's even the slightest chance that a "scientific finding" will grant more power to those who back it, or allow them to deny responsibility for something, then that finding will inexplicably rise in prominence whether it's been conclusively proved or not.  All so people can have more power and less accountability.

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2010, 06:56:06 PM »
Everything turns into a power play sooner or later.  If there's even the slightest chance that a "scientific finding" will grant more power to those who back it, or allow them to deny responsibility for something, then that finding will inexplicably rise in prominence whether it's been conclusively proved or not. 

Sounds a lot like creationism!

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2010, 07:02:41 PM »
Except the inverse; the true* creationist wants to be more accountable and have less power.
*The definition of "true" being, in this case, the creationist that is a Bible-abiding Christian
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 07:06:40 PM by Turtlekid1 »

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2010, 04:42:46 PM »
The definition of "true" being, in this case, the creationist that is a Bible-abiding Christian

I'm guessing Islamic creationists aren't true creationists. Or Jewish creationists. Or any of the other proposed creationists.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2010, 05:56:53 PM »
Not for the purposes of that statement, since I can only speak for how biblical Christians should conduct themselves, not Jews or Muslims.  But I would wager you were referring more to Christians than those groups in your previous statement.

Print