Print

Author Topic: You Rage (or Lose Faith in Humanity), You Lose  (Read 211687 times)

« Reply #330 on: January 30, 2013, 08:54:52 PM »
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #331 on: February 06, 2013, 01:57:13 AM »
I accidentally stumbled upon this crap nugget and lost so hard I couldn't even take solace in the fact that it was a three year old WND article.

So I was thinking about this article, and one thing that really stood out to me (aside from the whole deliberately-refusing-to-understand-how-causality-works thing, which is a given) was this one phrase in particular:

"The already troubled youngster is often the one drawn to homosexuality or gender compromise"

"gender compromise" is a very interesting turn of phrase. Entire books could be written expositing that phrase (for example, the conservo-christo-american mindset that has made "compromise" into a dirty word, when the word, literally meaning "to promise together," seems like it ought to tie right in with the "mutual submission" that is supposed to be (but historically has often not been) at the center of Christianity). But what struck me about it was how much it remound me of something else I had seen online a day or two earlier: This page on the christianbooksandthings.net online store (which you will probably also lose to, especially if you look around at the rest of their products). KKK T-shirts. A Confederate flag with the caption "It's LOVE, not HATE." A blue collar teddy bear and an American flag with the caption "I Love my HERITAGE." A children's shirt reading "Klan Kids Kare," "White and Proud," and "Love Jesus, Love Your Heritage." And the one that I was specifically remound of, "W.F.R.I.: Women For Racial Integrity."

Preserving "racial integrity."

Combatting "gender compromise."

Making sure that the walls that divide us stay as high and as unambiguous as possible; that we are inescapably defined by our manmade labels.

Is the concept of gender roles really any different from that of racial roles? The idea that God made us male and female with the intention of setting up two completely separate, completely defined roles for us to take, thereby predetermining the whole course of one's life -- either you're born with testes / a penis / a Y chromosome (pick one or all), and therefore must be a natural leader and marry a woman and be her guide; or you're born with ovaries / a vagina / no Y chromosomes (again, no consensus on how many of these properties must converge in order for a person to be considered one gender or the other), and therefore must submit to your father, husband, or pastor, depending on the stage of life you're in, and can never have any position of authority over males (or even over yourself, really), and have to love kids and have as many of them as possible (or more). Never mind that not everyone fits neatly into one of those two categories even looking purely at physical, objective reality. Never mind the multiple positive examples in the Bible of women in leadership positions --  Deborah, Phoebe, Huldah, Priscilla, and Junia are the first that come to mind. We can't let there be any confusion between those two categories, or everything comes crashing down, because we wouldn't know who's supposed to submit to whom!

It wasn't all that long ago -- and it's even still around today in some corners -- that it was about racial roles too. People with a noticeable amount of melanin and/or African heritage (again, kinda fuzzy definitions) are the descendents of Ham, who were eternally cursed to be servants to the descendents of Japheth (who, conveniently, fathered all of Europe (well, the white parts)). People with less melanin / no provable African ancestry / enough money to hush up any traces of racial impurity were the sons of Japheth, and rightful owners of the sons of Ham (Never mind that race as we think of it does not really exist in a solidly definable scientific way). There must be no confusion between these categories -- that means no abandoning of your role, your responsibility, as either a slave or a master, and certainly no mixing of the races, because, again, if the distinction got muddled, how would we know who's supposed to submit?

I have a hard time reconciling that attitude with Galatians 3:28: There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. I don't believe Jesus came here so that we could more deeply entrench ourselves in our same old oppressive power struggles of gender against gender, race against race, nation against nation.

and i really need to stop staying up so late
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #332 on: February 06, 2013, 06:50:03 PM »
Relics.

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #333 on: February 06, 2013, 07:49:06 PM »
Ok, that site's gotta be a Poe. Too many dog whistles and most actual bigots are slightly less overt about the dichotomy between their bigotry and the tenets of their religion.

That or my head is completely refusing to believe that this can be a real thing, even if there's actually a market for a site such as this.
~I.S.~

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #334 on: February 06, 2013, 08:30:29 PM »
The Creationism/Science books page is interesting. It lists three books:

The Glory Of The Stars
Author: E. Raymond Capt

It is well known that the ancient races drew charts of these Zodiacal Signs, that ancient astrology was actually the father of astronomy. Astronomers sometimes denounce the Zodiac as unnatural and confusing, yet they have never been able to brush it aside or substitute anything better or more convenient in its place. The Signs of the Zodiac are a part of the common universal language of astronomical science.

The Zodiac is found in religious faiths and pagan superstitions. Astrology is based upon it. The Bible is replete with it. [...] The written words of Scripture parallel the words written in the heavens and preserved in the Signs of the Zodiac. [...] The purpose of this study is to present the findings of past eminent scholars, together with those of modern scientific investigators, in order to show the stars do reveal words written in heavens - words that declare the glory of God.

Paperback
144 pages
$ 8.00

Christianity And The Age Of The Earth
Author: Davis A. Young

Dr. Davis A Young, a scientist with outstanding academic credentials and a thoroughly orthodox, evangelical Christian, has presented in this volume solid and convincing evidence for the thesis that the earth is an extremely old planet created by God. This book demonstrates how well-meaning creationist (Dr. Young is also a creationist in the term) have misrepresented the evidence of geology in their attempt to argue that the earth is only a few thousand years old.

It is important in our time to give serious consideration to both biblical and scientific evidence. In this book, Dr. Young carefully examines the evidence and finds that it does not support the young-earth view.

Because of the literature advancing biblical catastrophism, the interest of Christian layman, and attempts to introduce the catastrophist view of earth history into public school curricula, the Christian community should seriously consider this issue of the age of the earth. Does the biblical and scientific evidence support the idea that the earth is extremely young or does the evidence indicate otherwise? Has the earth experienced a brief sudden catastrophic history dominated by a single global flood or has it's history been vastly longer and somewhat less spectacular? In this book the author examines some of the evidence of nature that relates to the age of the earth.

[...]

Dr. Young firmly believes that the continued promotion of the young-earth view will in the long run damage the credibility of Christianity and thus hinder our evangelistic efforts.

Paperback
188 pages
$11.95

Racial Reconciliation and the Word of God
Author Pastor Thomas Robb

Although the racial reconciliation movement is new to the Christian Church, for years it has been one of the major tenets of all false religions. Racial reconciliation is a term being used in religious circles to promote racial integration and racial intermarriage.  The promoters of these scheme claim "race" is merely a social category and not a scientific fact.  They tell us that we are all variants of the same race of Adam and Eve and therefore the church and races should be united.  Furthermore they teach that there should be no prohibition against interracial marriage.  As long as each is a Christian, it matters not to what race they belong.

Subjects covered.

The eastern religious and occult root of racial reconciliation - examples

Racial Reconciliation and Charles Darwin's theory of evolution are based upon the same foundation - almost word for word - examples

The Abrahamic covenant - the covenant made with Abraham and Sara - (who are the modern recipients of this oath made and sworn by God alone?)

Communism, the new world order, the beast system, ( all of which are of the same basis and which are given power by the Apostate Church.

The scientific facts that poke holes in the idea that race is a social category.

The real meaning of the verses most used by racial reconciliation teachers - such as "And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth." Acts 17.26

Famous preachers from different denominations who taught against "racial reconciliation"

What are parents to do?

158 pages
$15.00

Now, if it were just the last two, I might think it was a Poe with a subtle irony -- they can recognize the unscientificness of young-earth-ism, but not of racism. But the zodiac one is less related to that, and also I know people who actually hold to the idea that the zodiac signs are tied to the Bible.

Incidentally, I'm rather curious as to whether Dr. Young's book explicitly denies a literal global flood, because if the story of Noah isn't literally true, then we are not actually descended from Noah's three sons, which eliminates the Curse of Ham and thereby removes basically the only possible avenue for biblical support of racism and African slavery.

Interestingly, while they do believe in an old earth, they apparently do not accept evolution (If there were a larger selection of books, I might think they were just attempting to offer a large library for their patrons to select from, without endorsing particular viewpoints, but the fact that there are so few books on this page (and also because I get the feeling that they're printing at least some of these books themselves) makes me think that they're deliberately selecting books that they do agree with). So I'm wondering where they go with this. Young is against "catastrophism," so I doubt he's a proponent of the Gap Theory (the idea that there is a gap between Genesis 1:1 and 1:2 where God created a whole world and then destroyed it before creating this one, which used to be a somewhat popular idea to explain away the earth's apparent age), so... did God just create every species in its current form and then have them all just wait around for four billion years before doing anything?

And then there's that part about how "racial reconciliation" has the same roots as Darwinian evolution. One of Kirk Cameron's arguments for creationism is "Darwin was racist and Hitler believed in survival of the fittest, therefore evolution is wrong." I guess Darwin just believed whatever you don't want to believe!

Tangent: Kirk Cameron says Hitler was bad because he believed in "survival of the fittest" (because somehow active genocide counts as natural selection???), but he also advocates for conservative politicians and capitalism -- which actually is a survival of the fittest type thing!!

So yeah, I just can't make sense of any of this.

Also, there's this book on the Bible Mysteries page:

Restitution Of All Things
Author: G. R. Hawtin

Is there coming a time of universal restoration and reconciliation in which all things will be restored? The author believes there will come such a time and shows just how he believes this will be done in the future. The author takes issue with those who teach and preach about a place called "hell" where those who reject Christ will spend eternity in abject misery and torment, forever suffering the terrible agony of a fire that will not, and cannot, be quenched. Pastor Hawtin believes that the Scriptures really teach that there is coming a time of universal restoration and reconciliation in which all things will be restored, whether they be things in heaven, things in earth or things under the earth?

[...]

Pastor Hawtin goes to great lengths, and in great detail, to explain the true meaning of the words hell, fire, brimstone, eternal, everlasting, for ever and ever, the second death and others, in order to show how these words have been misunderstood by most Christians for centuries.

Once the proper translation from Hebrew and Greek to English is applied the reader gains a completely different concept than that which he has always been taught regarding God's purpose towards man and His creation, and is then able to see more clearly God's wonderful plan for The Restitution of all Things.

Stapleback
48 pages

So they're at least open to discussion about universalism. That does not fit in at all with stereotypical fundamentalists, and would be pretty unexpected for a Poe.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #335 on: February 06, 2013, 09:14:32 PM »
I'm always amused by British Israelism, the theory purporting that caucasians are God's Chosen People, and the ancient Israelites were a totally different people from modern Jews.

EDIT: AAAAAAUUUUGH
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 09:22:20 PM by Weegee »

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #336 on: February 15, 2013, 12:10:56 AM »

All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #337 on: February 15, 2013, 01:17:35 AM »
I wish CrossEyed would change his avatar now.

« Reply #338 on: February 15, 2013, 07:36:46 AM »
I'm not sure whether to be amused or severely disgusted. more context plz.
VVVERExSTFJCQVM=

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #339 on: February 15, 2013, 10:10:09 AM »
I don't believe hardcore MLP fans are pedophiles, but I do believe they're seriously ill in the head.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #340 on: February 15, 2013, 11:59:40 AM »
Anyone who's in love with a fictional character, inanimate object, or otherwise non-human entity has serious problems. This guy seems to fit all three.  Just...wow.
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

« Reply #341 on: February 15, 2013, 01:10:19 PM »
I honestly don't give two ****s if someone is in love with a doll. Didn't rage.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #342 on: February 15, 2013, 04:54:19 PM »
I honestly don't give two ****s if someone is in love with a doll. Didn't rage.

yea pretty much

I mean it's a bit (ok perhaps somewhat more than a bit) out there but if it's not hurting anyone what's the problem?
~I.S.~

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #343 on: February 15, 2013, 07:39:35 PM »
If going to bed is the best part of your day because your stuffed animal is your best friend, then I feel sorry for how the rest of your day must be like.

If anything it just seems like an infantile habit, like Linus and his blanket.  Also who still knows anybody named Octavia?
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

« Reply #344 on: February 16, 2013, 12:29:21 AM »
My Rock Band singer was named Octavia Counts. My brother married her. So now I have a sister-in-law named Octavia.

Print