Poll

What is your sexual/romantic orientation?

Heterosexual
29 (69%)
Homosexual
6 (14.3%)
Bisexual
2 (4.8%)
Pansexual
0 (0%)
Hetero-romantic asexual
1 (2.4%)
Homo-romantic asexual
0 (0%)
Bi-romantic asexual
0 (0%)
Pan-romantic asexual
0 (0%)
Aromantic asexual
0 (0%)
Unsure / "it's complicated" / other
4 (9.5%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Print

Author Topic: Sexual Orientation  (Read 120436 times)

« Reply #90 on: December 12, 2012, 11:54:49 PM »
This leads us to another question: If homosexuality is ever found to be caused by some correctible imbalance or mutation, would it be ethically acceptable to "fix" gay babies before they're born?
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #91 on: December 13, 2012, 12:17:30 AM »
We need gay people to help offset overpopulation, methinks.

And it'd be better to correct whatever causes pedophilia first (if it is indeed hereditary). That's actually harmful.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #92 on: December 13, 2012, 01:32:49 AM »
This reminds me of that awkward ethical dilemma where, if we decide aborting babies that'll be deformed is okay, then it effectively says YOU SHOULD NOT BE to all currently alive disabled people.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #93 on: December 13, 2012, 07:26:48 AM »
We need gay people to help offset overpopulation, methinks.

And it'd be better to correct whatever causes pedophilia first (if it is indeed hereditary). That's actually harmful.
So if what you're saying is correct, with "stupid people reproduce more," could it be possible that if the number of stupid people go up, the number of gay people will go up?
VVVERExSTFJCQVM=

« Reply #94 on: December 13, 2012, 03:01:10 PM »
Wow, the comments beneath that article are so uplifting and heartfelt.

In an age where computers can beat man at Chess, in an age where you can have your car essentially tell you where to drive (or you can read from a device that's normally stored in your pocket), in an age where TVs are voice activated, people such as those still exist, and in great (if decreasing) numbers.
Relics.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #95 on: December 13, 2012, 05:04:24 PM »
I left a thoughtful comment.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #96 on: December 13, 2012, 05:57:36 PM »
So if what you're saying is correct, with "stupid people reproduce more," could it be possible that if the number of stupid people go up, the number of gay people will go up?

Red Lewd Uganda

• A Link to the Post
« Reply #97 on: December 13, 2012, 06:43:03 PM »
Less anecdote, more data:

Yes, ladies and gentleman, fully 46% of Americans are YEC. Further, 41% believe that Jesus will "come again" by 2050, long term responsibilities/consequences be [darn]ed.

To be fair, I suppose I can't blame them all for their ignorance. We're all born into it, and even I was once introduced to a bit of YEC in my youth, but thanks to a healthy amount of skepticism and an education in science I was able to overcome such garbage. I imagine many kids aren't as fortunate. The irony is that the same conservatives into which they're raised indoctrinated to put their faith (and votes, and they do vote) are the same group actively working to undercut funding for their public education. Say nothing of attempts to undermine it other ways, or the cost of post-secondary education for most jobs nowadays (even if we weren't in an economic rut). Add in the possibility of family and social ostracism, sprinkle a little of this on top, and what would you expect? A bunch of dopes who can't explain why they like the red car on the lot over the blue one, but maintain that sexual attraction is a discrete choice.

Edit: Computers beating people at chess is now blasé.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 07:36:06 PM by Red Lewd Uganda »
Ante up.

« Reply #98 on: December 13, 2012, 10:09:54 PM »
46%? ****ing seriously?

And that doesn't include the people who aren't YEC yet still don't believe in evolution.

« Reply #99 on: December 14, 2012, 06:41:23 AM »

Yeah, just sort of a random correlation/causation thing.
VVVERExSTFJCQVM=

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #100 on: December 16, 2012, 12:04:52 PM »
Tonight I got on a 80's kick.  Androgenise?  Sebastian Bach and Jani Lane.  I didn't know Jani had died this summer.  So long...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka6SDrSeVEQ" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka6SDrSeVEQ</a>Kinda makes me think of David Lee Roth more then Frankie though.
Today I was going through some old music and realized why "That's life" sounded more like Diamond Dave to me:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI-gDIHXowM" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI-gDIHXowM</a>

Sometimes I feel dumb, but I guess that back then I didn't realize it was a cover of a legendary song. 

On a related note I recall hearing Bon Jovi's "Runaway" at friends house on a new CD that was just released and swearing I knew the words to the song before they played.  I had forgotten it was really an old song from an old tape I had. 

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s86K-p089R8" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s86K-p089R8</a>

Sorry to clog the thread up with old music.  Carry on...
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #101 on: January 07, 2013, 09:10:14 PM »
I hate to revive this thread while, even worse, being off-topic, but PaperLuigi, I must mention, I'm not sure why you think that is a shock. Why be ****ed off and facepalm about what people might believe. I also don't understand Red Lewd's denouncement of that percentage's beliefs. Ignorance, garbage? Were those terms really necessary?

Not to reference anyone at these forums, but it sort of reminds me of friends I've had that say, "**** RELIGION STUPID SHEEPLE HOW COULD YOU BE SO STUPID." I ask them why they have this apparent hatred for anything religion-related, and the usual answer is, "WELL BECAUSE THIS ONE TIME SOMEONE TRIED TO TELL ME <insert_something_they_didn't_like> AND/OR TOLD ME I WAS GOING TO HELL."

While there are people who are extreme in their beliefs in any sector of... well anything in this world, there are honest, innocent people in them, and then there's *******s. There's good people of every race and *******s of every race. There's good people of each religion who don't impose their beliefs on others, and there's *******s that try to condemn others for not following their beliefs. Just because crazy people like WBC and raging atheists are the ones that get media attention doesn't speak for religion or lack thereof as a whole.
Formerly quite reasonable.

« Reply #102 on: January 07, 2013, 10:51:37 PM »
I hate to revive this thread while, even worse, being off-topic, but PaperLuigi, I must mention, I'm not sure why you think that is a shock. Why be ****ed off and facepalm about what people might believe.

Because YEC is really, really stupid? And it's disappointing that its adherents reject mainstream science?

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #103 on: January 07, 2013, 11:48:13 PM »
Indeed. At least amongst rational folk, the reexplanation of what has been researched and theorized about in modern times using the word of ancient nomads (aka God's word) merits some guffawing.

I'll let my religious kin discuss the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything, but we should not throw our hands up and consent to "I don't have to think about it, because God or [religious leader here] understands it just fine." Such thinking is pleasant and comfortable, but ultimately harmful, especially given how densely populated the Earth has become.

EDIT: Allow me to loop this idea back around to the topic at hand: consider the suffering honest to goodness, homosexual people have experienced because some Levite said that "dudes should not sleep with dudes, that's gross." The [religious leader] agrees with that guy, and who am I to argue with the [religious leader]! More importantly, now I get to say, "[darn] am I glad I'm a god-fearing normal person.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 11:56:02 PM by Suffix »

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #104 on: January 07, 2013, 11:56:09 PM »
RLU, biased much?

Not saying I support or reject either theory, as I believe it's impossible to know for certain, but a couple years ago I read several intelligent, logical, scientific articles that seemed to support the Young Earth Theory. So saying the whole notion is "stupid" is rather closed-minded. Believing or disbelieving something blindly, regardless of what it is, is stupid, yes, but actually researching something and using logic and reason to come to a conclusion is anything but stupid or ignorant. Different people can see the same thing and reach different conclusions. Doesn't mean either is necessarily right or wrong.

Most people in general seem to be pretty ignorant, though, regardless of whatever their worldview is. But don't assume everyone with a different worldview from yours is ignorant or stupid. That's prejudiced, not to mention ignorant and stupid, itself.

If I find those articles again, I might post them. But, guys, this isn't the topic for that discussion. Take it to another thread.
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

Print