Print

Author Topic: Expect a "new kind of Mario": Miyamoto  (Read 13590 times)

« on: June 17, 2016, 02:30:14 PM »
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2016/06/16/e3-2016-nintendo-a-new-kind-of-mario-is-coming

I'm looking forward to a hip, trendy Mario who communicates through dank Twitter memes and emojis.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 08:42:32 PM »
Does anyone remember that interview from before the Gamecube launched where Miyamoto said they were making a "more mature Mario" and everyone freaked out?
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 09:54:49 PM »
They should have been freaking out, because what resulted was a child calling Peach "mother" and she not only not denying it, but concluding who the father was on her own
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 06:48:30 PM »
Whatever means less literal New Super Mario Bros.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 08:14:33 PM »
He meant it won't be a Galaxy or a 3D.

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2016, 10:28:10 AM »
Does anyone remember that interview from before the Gamecube launched where Miyamoto said they were making a "more mature Mario" and everyone freaked out?
So, he lied to us.

Yeah, I don't trust this man nor his group to work on Mario anymore, fearing they will ruin, if not, destroy the series even further.

Also think they have a bias over the Zelda series as well.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2016, 03:43:31 PM »
I'm not on board with this Miyamoto = Satan bandwagon.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2016, 04:48:48 PM »
Agreed.

Satan is nowhere near as worthy of our derision.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2016, 08:02:45 PM »
So, he lied to us.

Yeah, I don't trust this man nor his group to work on Mario anymore, fearing they will ruin, if not, destroy the series even further.

Also think they have a bias over the Zelda series as well.

Glad to see you're still posting here, Mr. Malstrom.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2016, 08:59:46 PM »
I mean the real worst case is that Miyamoto is a George Lucas and needs a team to check and balance him. I agree, his decision to remove Paper Mario's heart was a big stupid one. But, he had a great degree of creative control over Luigi's Mansion 2 and it's a masterpiece full of personality and atmosphere. He's not an idiot. He's not a god and he needs input and opinions from a team but he's not an idiot.
It's YOUR problem!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2016, 05:52:56 AM »
I'm reasonably certain the way Paper Mario has gone had less to do with Miyamoto himself than it did the guys at Intelligent Systems wildly misinterpreting his suggestions.

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2016, 08:13:22 AM »
How 'bout an open world Mario game? But instead of long open fields there's plenty of abstract geometry for you to traverse. Levels on your way to levels!
Kweeh! Kweeh! Yes, Kweeh forever!

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2016, 10:48:47 AM »
I mean the real worst case is that Miyamoto is a George Lucas and needs a team to check and balance him. I agree, his decision to remove Paper Mario's heart was a big stupid one. But, he had a great degree of creative control over Luigi's Mansion 2 and it's a masterpiece full of personality and atmosphere. He's not an idiot. He's not a god and he needs input and opinions from a team but he's not an idiot.
I think Miyamoto's just becoming more senile.

Anyway, I would like a plot that's just different and sensible. Like how Kirby structures its stories and plots.

Like, "what if the Mushroom Kingdom becomes a Mushroom City?"

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2016, 12:11:28 AM »
Let the Old-timer handle this one...

I remember playing the NES and SNES Mario games a long time ago, back before they needed re-releases on a bunch of consoles. The four core Mario games all had a different feel to them, but aside from the rehashed Doki Doki Panic of Mario 2, they were all pretty much the same.

They did have the Mario Kart spinoff for SNES, but everyone knew the formula for a Mario game until 1996.

Suddenly, you had a "new kind of Mario" to use the term we're using in this thread. Actually, you had two: you had Mario RPG and Mario 64. Both introduced a radically new gameplay engine (different for each) and even different feels for the games. Suddenly, Mario was much less arcade-ish and more of a story-based adventure. In fact, storylines started to really develop, particularly in Mario RPG.

The next step seems to be Paper Mario, which I never played in its entirety. We've had something in the ballpark of ten of these games and while they all seem to be a little different, they all have the same style of character and are all kiddy-type versions of Mario RPG (my opinion at least).

Mario Sunshine basically built upon Mario 64 but used the second stick effectively. Galaxy was really just the next evolution.

Everything else was something that had been done before. New Super Mario Bros wound up being, well, an updated version of the original games. They added 3D to it, but to me, Mario 3D World is really just a hybrid of what's been done before. Great game, but not one I'd call a complete innovator.

I'd expect this announcement to signal one of the following:

--A storyline that hasn't been done before (it's been nice to see something other than Peach get captured in some titles)
--Some new perspective or control system unlike anything that's been done before
--Redesigns of the characters (not complete redesigns, mind you, but enough to make them interesting again, sort of like Mickey was redesigned for Fantasia)

It could be all three, maybe a combination of things. It may not even be any of those. Still, if you look at history, the only "new kind of Mario" truly happened in 1996--on two occasions--and in 1999 with the Paper version.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2016, 01:47:01 AM »
PM2 is about a million times more mature than SMRPG by far and a half.
It's YOUR problem!

Print