Print

Author Topic: Super Mario RPG sequel?  (Read 17609 times)

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2008, 04:31:47 PM »
I have a feeling "SMRPG 2" will retain the art style similar to Super Mario RPG or the recent Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings.

Please bring back Smithy as a final boss! Smithy (especially his second form) was one of the mose difficult bosses of any game (Mario or otherwise).

My ideas for SMRPG 2:
Party members include Bowser, Geno, Cloud, a Chocobo, Luigi, Yoshi

The plot involves Mario and FF characters being trapped in an alternate dimension in which characters and enemies from both series appear in hybrid forms (Goomba cossed with a Tonberry, Chocobo crossed with a Koopa Troopa, etc.)

Include common items found in both series (Coins, ?-Blocks, Chests, etc.)

Assign different battle commands to the A. B, X, Y buttons (for DS). If the game is on the Wii, assign different commands to the D-Pad (Up, Down, Left, Right). This keeps combat simple and intuitive, like the original SMRPG.

Have cameos of important SMRPG characters: Mallow, Croco, Toadofsky, Belome, Axem Rangers, etc.

I can't think of much else... brain fart.

If anyone else has ideas for a potential SMRPG sequel, please reply to this.
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2008, 06:02:38 PM »
Nah. The game should be a straight-up parody of everything the Final Fantasy games stand for. They could even throw in a few nods to certain famous cutscenes and give them a Mario style twist.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2008, 09:07:06 PM »
Mario Maniac.
Chocobo? Cloud? You have got to be joking.
Smithy, a difficult final boss? You have never played any other RPGs.

Also: Why do you state requests to Nintendo or whoever in these posts? They aren't going to look at your post and be like "hey, let's listen to this guy!"
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2008, 09:09:07 PM »
That would be cool (and probably more efficient) if they did, though...
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2008, 09:16:09 PM »
Smithy has, what, 8000 HP? I can see how people might think it could be hard...but it isn't. I'd say he's on about the same level of difficulty as Demyx in Kingdom Hearts II - so he's as tough as a dude with a sitar and a mullet.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2008, 11:06:08 PM »
He's tough for the game, because it has a relatively low HP scale, but really, he isn't even that tricky to beat, unlike bosses from other RPGs (Final Fantasy V was decently hard to finish).
That was a joke.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2008, 11:19:30 PM »
So I've heard...one of my friends was telling me about how she was stuck on Exdeath on FFVA.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2008, 12:48:49 AM »
I have a feeling "SMRPG 2" will retain the art style similar to Super Mario RPG or the recent Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings.

Please bring back Smithy as a final boss! Smithy (especially his second form) was one of the mose difficult bosses of any game (Mario or otherwise).

My ideas for SMRPG 2:

The plot involves Mario and FF characters being trapped in an alternate dimension in which characters and enemies from both series appear in hybrid forms (Goomba cossed with a Tonberry, Chocobo crossed with a Koopa Troopa, etc.)

Assign different battle commands to the A. B, X, Y buttons (for DS). If the game is on the Wii, assign different commands to the D-Pad (Up, Down, Left, Right). This keeps combat simple and intuitive, like the original SMRPG.

Have cameos of important SMRPG characters: Mallow, Croco, Toadofsky, Belome, Axem Rangers, etc.

I wouldn't mind seeing a few chocobos (as cameos), but CLOUD?!  NO  Just NO  Absolutely NOT
Regards, Uncle Dolan

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2008, 04:44:41 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Final Fantasy at all, but I think Square is a bit obsessive over it. Sure, it's their best-selling series, possibly the best-selling series, but that doesn't mean they need to include its characters in just about every game they make. Especially not a Mario game. I mean, do you see Adventure Island references in Mario Party? I think not.
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2008, 06:00:12 PM »

My ideas for SMRPG 2:

The biggest problem with this is it needs to be more original. NEW characters. Not old, musty characters. And Cloud? And how would that fit into the chronology? Please. And hybrid forms? Go play Mother 3.

« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2008, 01:20:04 PM »
Tough to say. I want to say that Super Mario RPG succeeded despite having enemies and locations that were completely original (and didn't seem to fit into the Mario universe at all), but in retrospect, the enemies were just goofy enough to work. Enemies from Final Fantasy wouldn't work, they'd look too serious. Having Mario and Cloud fight side-by-side wouldn't be unheard of - we've seen stranger teamups in Smash Bros. Brawl - but again, odd considering how serious Cloud is compared to, say, Mallow.

There's really only one reason I skipped out on Paper Mario and its sequel: how everything's dumbed down to low HP levels. How you can never seem to make an attack that's more than 10HP. Made me felt eternally weak, made me felt like my options in battle were restricted, it was so different from everything I was used to - and not in a good way. I want the triple-digit numbers! I was also a bit ticked off that in Super Mario RPG, the highest level you could reach was 30 (but then, you're so powerful by that point that going beyond doesn't matter).

Having a sequel with new areas and characters would be good, but I'd also be happy with the original. Just, for the love of Peter the dog from Earthworm Jim, keep the spirit of the original SNES game. You can bring back Kooper from Paper Mario though, he was cool.

Kingdom Hearts proved that pushing two unrelated things together can work (I never thought I'd see a Disney RPG). Doesn't mean it will work. I've never been much of a fan of Final Fantasy for whatever reason (loved FFX though), and I've seen enough of the FF7 world for two lifetimes (Square, LET IT GO. Why don't you go explore one of the other 10 universes you've neglected?).
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 01:22:06 PM by penguinwizard »
You didn't say wot wot.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2008, 04:50:28 PM »
SMRPG has a low HP/damage scale compared to most other Square RPGs. Paper Mario has an even lower one. The thing that they forgot is the psychological impact of the numbers. Granted, once you get used to Paper Mario, doing 5 HP damage to something can be regarded as an incredible feat, but it's still slow and not nearly as engaging as doing 763 HP damage to something that has thousands (instead of 50).
That was a joke.

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2008, 02:38:26 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Final Fantasy at all, but I think Square is a bit obsessive over it. Sure, it's their best-selling series, possibly the best-selling series, but that doesn't mean they need to include its characters in just about every game they make. Especially not a Mario game. I mean, do you see Adventure Island references in Mario Party? I think not.

While it is true that Final Fantasy is Square's best-selling series, the best-selling series happens to be the mario series :)
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2008, 01:36:35 PM »
Tough to say. I want to say that Super Mario RPG succeeded despite having enemies and locations that were completely original (and didn't seem to fit into the Mario universe at all), but in retrospect, the enemies were just goofy enough to work. Enemies from Final Fantasy wouldn't work, they'd look too serious. Having Mario and Cloud fight side-by-side wouldn't be unheard of - we've seen stranger teamups in Smash Bros. Brawl - but again, odd considering how serious Cloud is compared to, say, Mallow.

There's really only one reason I skipped out on Paper Mario and its sequel: how everything's dumbed down to low HP levels. How you can never seem to make an attack that's more than 10HP. Made me felt eternally weak, made me felt like my options in battle were restricted, it was so different from everything I was used to - and not in a good way. I want the triple-digit numbers! I was also a bit ticked off that in Super Mario RPG, the highest level you could reach was 30 (but then, you're so powerful by that point that going beyond doesn't matter).

Paper Mario was meant to be a beginners RPG (the same with SMRPG).  Why couldn't Paper Mario have a "vetran mode" that made bosses have higher HP and higher defense? That would have been challenging.

Defeating a 100,000 HP Smithy with only 1,000 HP.
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2008, 05:54:49 PM »
Source?

P.S. They're both quite well balanced so you really don't have any clue what you're talking about or how RPGs work.
That was a joke.

Print