Print

Author Topic: Weirdest Mario Power-up  (Read 28094 times)

megamush

• Infinite member error
« Reply #60 on: January 20, 2008, 08:15:32 AM »
I'd say either the Boo power-up or the Bunny ears. I can't decide between them.

Arr, ye be wrong matey the bunny ears be from zelda
What ever you do don't press Ctrl-W

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2008, 08:53:12 AM »
How many times have we had this discussion? Bunny ears are in SML2! Yes, the power-up is a carrot, but that's besides the point.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2008, 10:22:34 AM »
Not many people have played SML so keep that in mind... (I have)

« Reply #63 on: January 20, 2008, 12:31:17 PM »
Weirdest Mario Power-up has to be the mini shroom that makes you shrink. The spring shroom (smg), the P-Baloon, and Bee Mario are lol. What does the P stand for in P-balloon. The power flower in SM64DS is weird. It effects everyone in a different way.
One Ring to rule them all. One Ring to find them. One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #64 on: January 20, 2008, 03:32:15 PM »
Probably power. Or Pow. Or they just like putting P on stuff for no reason.
That was a joke.

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2008, 04:44:25 PM »
That kinda reminds me of a part in the Nintendo Adventure book "Koopa Capers." Luigi flat out asks what the heck the P in P-Switch stands for! XD
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

« Reply #66 on: January 20, 2008, 06:31:57 PM »
My answer has already been mentioned and re-mentioned by people who didn't catch it the first time around, so I'll show some restraint and not be the 12th person to say "bunny ears."  Some other power-ups that crossed my mind include:  the Koopa shell (NSMB), the frog suit, and--oh!  If power-ups from YI can be included, just about everything in that game is weird... Transforming Yoshi into a train?  Wha--?
Today's actually... nobody's birthday!  Quick, hurry up and make a baby!

« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2008, 01:02:16 AM »
Hey, the Bunny ears were cool.

- I'd agree with the frog suit, just seemed out of place somehow.

- I'd like to say the Tanooki suit. I know I'd normally say it's cool, but in hindsight, it really wasn't that different from Raccoon Mario (and turning into a statue didn't do much good for me), so I was left wondering what the point of it was.

- Kuribo's Shoe is certainly strange, but an awesome power (I refuse to call it Goomba's Shoe).

- Fire Mario in Super Mario Land 2. Why is that strange? Because I could never figure out what that slanted thing on Mario's head was. Made me think Mario was wearing a turban or something.

- "Spring Mario" from Super Mario Galaxy screenshots. Toy Box Galaxy I believe, where Mario turns into a spring. What the heck?

- If I can include a powerup from Wario Land 2... well, just about any powerup there will do. Puffy-Face Wario and Zombie Wario come to mind.
You didn't say wot wot.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2008, 02:05:19 AM »
Probably power. Or Pow. Or they just like putting P on stuff for no reason.
Though P in P-Wing actually stands for Para (as in Paragoomba/beetle's Wing).

- Fire Mario in Super Mario Land 2. Why is that strange? Because I could never figure out what that slanted thing on Mario's head was. Made me think Mario was wearing a turban or something.
In case you still haven't figured it out, it's a feather.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 02:07:02 AM by MEGAߥTE »

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #69 on: February 02, 2008, 10:28:18 AM »
- Kuribo's Shoe is certainly strange, but an awesome power (I refuse to call it Goomba's Shoe).

But Kuribos = Goombas, so I don't see what the problem is.

Anyway, anyone think that the feather-cap and the red fireball suit have any differences, or was it just because of the Game Boy's limited pallete?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #70 on: February 02, 2008, 12:06:29 PM »
The reason he had the thing on his hat was because they couldn't show anything but grey. So there was no red.
That was a joke.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #71 on: February 02, 2008, 12:12:43 PM »
I wonder why they never referred to that hat in any form ever again...

« Reply #72 on: February 02, 2008, 08:50:17 PM »
Probably because they didn't need to. If color was no longer an issue they wouldn't need to refer to the alternate fire flower design.
I'm a horrible person.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2008, 01:02:28 PM »
Still, I'd like to see Mario with a feather on his hat again someday. Maybe they could give it a different function.

« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2008, 01:37:29 PM »
Hey, the Bunny ears were cool.
Definitely.  They're one of my favorite power-ups, actually, and the one I'd also hope to get during roulette.  Still, they are undeniably weird--not necessarily a bad thing...

And the "P" stands for "para???"  That's not nearly as cool as "power."
Today's actually... nobody's birthday!  Quick, hurry up and make a baby!

Print