Print

Author Topic: Weirdest Mario Power-up  (Read 27225 times)

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2008, 12:20:08 PM »
I one day wish to see a Mario game that has all of the different flight power-ups available.  Let's look at the data:

Super Leaf
-First of many
-Gives Mario an added appendage in the form of a tail.
-Requires full running speed to work.
-Can't fly as far as it can fly high.
-Also enables rapid-fire floating to the ground
-Serves as an extra method of attacking/ breaking things.

P Wing
-Actually the same thing as the Super Leaf except running is always fully charged so you can fly whenever you want.

Tanooki Suit
-Full body version of the Super Leaf that adds one more function: turning into an impervious statue.

Cape Feather
-Once again requires full running speed.
-Serves as a method of attack with a larger radius and more functions than the tail.
-Allows floating by holding the button instead of rapidly pressing it.
-Can't fly too high, but once airborne, can stay in air almost infinitely with the para-sailing maneuver.
-Mario can also make earthquakes by diving headfirst out of the sky.
-Floating mechanic can be carried over when riding Yoshi.

P Balloon
-Inflates Mario, allowing him to be steered anywhere on the screen.
-Runs out after a certain amount of time.
-Time limit prevents going very high or far.

Super Carrot
-Once again gives Mario added appendages, this time in the form of bunny ears.
-Cannot actually fly, but can floating.
-Floating is more in-depth, as you can float longer but slower by holding the button , but can also float shorter but faster by pressing the button rapidly.
-I remember it making Mario's regular jumps higher, but I could be wrong.

Wing Cap
-Added appendages include wings on Mario's head.
-Once again a limited time power-up.
-Flight is the most in-depth to date, as it was a 3D title. Mario can fly just like an airplane as long as he has a sufficient take-off method.

Personally, I think the Cape needs it's own P Wing treatment, though that may actually be sort of unfair. I also think that full-fledged Bunny Suit would compliment the Carrot quite nicely. Not sure what purpose it would serve, though. Lastly, I think it would be cool to see how the Wing Cap would work in a 2D game, or how the other power-ups would work in a 3D game. Maybe the Wing Cap could lose the time limit or something. The possibilities never seem to run out, do they?

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2008, 05:35:17 PM »
Nice break-down there, Glorb. I'd love to see a Bunny Suit. *really likes the long-eared critters*
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2008, 05:44:32 PM »
Since when am I Glorb? Do we really look that similar?

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2008, 05:59:41 PM »
My bad. That's what I get for trying to rush things.

Boo Dudley

• This is not a secret page hint
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2008, 08:02:25 PM »
Yes, the bunny ears give him higher jump. It also works as an auto-fire jump as long as you're pressing A (this is very useful for gaining height whilst in jelly/honey/snot.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2008, 09:07:35 PM »
Nice break-down there, Glorb. I'd love to see a Bunny Suit. *really likes the long-eared critters*

I giggled uncontrollably when I read that. I like getting credit for stuff I don't do.
every

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2008, 09:52:01 PM »
I said I was in a hurry (as I was taking a brief break from playing SMRPG). This is why I usually review my message about three time before actually posting it. Heck, this would've been avoided if I had just hit the dang quote button. Whatever. *goes off to battle Culex*

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2008, 01:23:49 PM »
I thought Glorb and I shared some sort of obvious resemblance.

Anyway, I also forgot to mention that the Leaf and the Feather both pop out of blocks differently, specifically shooting up and floating down gently. The Carrot on the other hand just sits there like a Fire Flower, waiting to be plucked.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2008, 11:44:44 AM »
Don't forget the Red Star from Galaxy. That's pretty much a P-Wing version of the Wing Cap
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2008, 07:52:11 PM »
Anyway, I also forgot to mention that the Leaf and the Feather both pop out of blocks differently, specifically shooting up and floating down gently. The Carrot on the other hand just sits there like a Fire Flower, waiting to be plucked.

Isn't there some zonky glitch in "Super Mario Bros." where you can have a fire flower slide along like a mushroom?
Mega 2
Cybernetic Abiogenesis Project

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2008, 03:56:01 PM »
The tanuki is depicted in some parts of Japanese mythology as having oversized testicles and carrying a jug of sake.

Now there's a powerup for ya.
[/quote

I thought the Tanooki Suit made Mario look like a racoon... He still had the Racoon tail and ears, so....
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2008, 04:05:30 PM »
The tanuki is more commonly known as the raccoon dog for a reason.

dżamper

• You forgot Poland!
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2008, 03:28:20 PM »
Boo Mushroom. It's cool, but I've never imagined Mario as a boo.
It's not weird. Mario/Luigi looks so cute in this  ;D
Yoshi's broken English!     Lesson 1: All your base are belong to us!     Lesson 2: Please would paper chuck in wastebin Thank you!

Sqrt2

« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2008, 05:42:06 AM »
I'd say either the Boo power-up or the Bunny ears. I can't decide between them.
AA fanboy and proud!

« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2008, 10:22:14 PM »
I'd have to say, the p-balloon. It was funny to see mario get inflated then float (then die numerous times in tubular)
Neko = A hot anime chick that's half cat and half human. (SEXY!)

Print